Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Gljúfurá, Iceland (Canyon River)

Jonas Ottos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gljúfurá, Iceland (Canyon River)

Taken on a very dark and gloomy day in the Westfjords of Iceland, a gem of a river well off the beaten track, like most of the Westfjords are. This part of the country is still relatively unexplored by tourists but for me the most beautiful part with very rugged nature, a great variety of wildlife and fantastic tranquility.

Unpassable

Rapids

Aug 26, 2015 at 04:34 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gljúfurá, Iceland (Canyon River)

I would recommend a faster shutter speed to freeze the water flow (although I am sure your exposure was intentional), and give some more light to the dark shadow details.

Aug 26, 2015 at 05:50 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gljúfurá, Iceland (Canyon River)

The second is my favorite. I like your dark, moody exposure.

Aug 26, 2015 at 07:34 PM
Gilda

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gljúfurá, Iceland (Canyon River)

Water flow seems really fast, but it's still awesome!

Aug 27, 2015 at 09:48 AM
Jonas Ottos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gljúfurá, Iceland (Canyon River)

dalite wrote:
I would recommend a faster shutter speed to freeze the water flow (although I am sure your exposure was intentional), and give some more light to the dark shadow details.

I was looking for the movement in the water and to get the dark gloomy feel of the cliffs. Thanks for your comment, always a good thing to get another perspective.

---------------------------------------------

wlpelzmann wrote:
The second is my favorite. I like your dark, moody exposure.

Thank you.

Gilda wrote:
Water flow seems really fast, but it's still awesome!

Thanks Gilda, and yes the water flows fast in this river.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:17 AM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gljúfurá, Iceland (Canyon River)

Hey Jonas!

Looks like some location you've got there, i find the second composition more engaging.
i'd second dalite's remarks, by overdarkening the rocks you loose all these beautiful textures and colors, i would try to bring them into play.

Cheers

Andrey

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:18 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gljúfurá, Iceland (Canyon River)

Hey Jonas,

That is a very cool area, and it is fun to get off the beaten path.

#1 is my favorite because with #2 I have to agree that the water is too smooth and the upper rocks are too dark. It looks like you just used a ND grad over the top part of the image since the rocks at the top are so much darker then the rocks at the bottom. Very unnatural looking. As for the water, your shutter speed is so long that the water has lost any feeling of moving, it's just plain white like milk. Of course we can all have our own preference as to the look of the water, myself it's usually at 1/5th of a Sec so that the water still actually shows movement. More of a stringy look as opposed to this milky look.

Jim

Aug 27, 2015 at 07:53 PM
Jonas Ottos
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gljúfurá, Iceland (Canyon River)

lionking wrote:
Hey Jonas!

Looks like some location you've got there, i find the second composition more engaging.
i'd second dalite's remarks, by overdarkening the rocks you loose all these beautiful textures and colors, i would try to bring them into play.

Cheers

Andrey

Thanks Andrey for taking the time to comment.

JimFox wrote:
Hey Jonas,

That is a very cool area, and it is fun to get off the beaten path.

#1 is my favorite because with #2 I have to agree that the water is too smooth and the upper rocks are too dark. It looks like you just used a ND grad over the top part of the image since the rocks at the top are so much darker then the rocks at the bottom. Very unnatural looking. As for the water, your shutter speed is so long that the water has lost any feeling of moving, it's just plain white like milk.
...Show more

You are right about the grad and I can also appreciate your critique on the look of the water. Thanks Jim for taking the time to look and comment.

Aug 28, 2015 at 04:10 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.