Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Mount Rainier Erupting the Milky Way!

Matt.Dieterich
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mount Rainier Erupting the Milky Way!

jstephens62 wrote:
Dang! I had the idea of shooting this kind of image, was up on Rainier this weekend and there was so much smoke haze rainier was invisible. When did you go??

With the settings you list, can you see the foreground with star light only? I was thinking you would need moonlight or twilight to see detail in the mountain.

Thanks,

Jack

Hi Jack,

I went on the night of August 12th, when the meteor shower peaked before dawn on the 13th. With the settings I used there was ample ambient night sky light to illuminate the foregound. Although, a moon filled night would have been a lot brighter, but then the Milky Way would not have been visible =)

~Matt

Aug 27, 2015 at 03:44 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mount Rainier Erupting the Milky Way!

Matt.Dieterich wrote:
Hi Jack,

I went on the night of August 12th, when the meteor shower peaked before dawn on the 13th. With the settings I used there was ample ambient night sky light to illuminate the foregound. Although, a moon filled night would have been a lot brighter, but then the Milky Way would not have been visible =)

~Matt

Hey Matt,

I love using the moon to help provide soft light to light up a scene and still get an awesome Milky Way. The trick is to time it when the moon is about 1/4 and when it's close to setting or rising. It works perfectly, and gives the best of the both worlds. The moon at that point is just strong enough that over a 30 sec exposure it will light up the ground for you, but it's weak enough that it doesn't wipe out the stars. The other key with this is obviously to have the moon to your back or side and to shoot away from the moon.

Jim

PS. Thanks for answering my previous questions.

Aug 27, 2015 at 04:19 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mount Rainier Erupting the Milky Way!

JimFox wrote:
Hey Matt,

I love using the moon to help provide soft light to light up a scene and still get an awesome Milky Way. The trick is to time it when the moon is about 1/4 and when it's close to setting or rising. It works perfectly, and gives the best of the both worlds. The moon at that point is just strong enough that over a 30 sec exposure it will light up the ground for you, but it's weak enough that it doesn't wipe out the stars. The other key with this is obviously to have the moon to
...Show more

Hi Jim,

Wow I bet that would create some great lighting! Long exposure photography is really amazing, such a blast to see what different techniques folk use =)

Looking forward to seeing some of your shots soon!

Matt

Aug 27, 2015 at 09:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.