Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon patent for tilt-shift adaptor for any EF lens...

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon patent for tilt-shift adaptor for any EF lens...

This is an interesting patent that would make any EF lens into a tilt shift...who knows if it will ever see the light of day...

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/08/patent-canon-tilt-shift-adaptor-for-all-ef-lenses/

Photography Bay has found a patent application that shows a tilt-shift adaptor that would work with all of Canon’s EF lenses.
From Photography Bay:
First off, the Canon Tilt-Shift Adapter has its own CPU inside and no optics. But it works hand-in-hand with the Canon EOS body and EF lenses to not only serve as a pass-through for communication but to also take on some processing burdens to make tilt-shift work on different cameras and lenses. Additionally, there are motorized drivers inside of the adapter that can drive the shift and tilt axes using controls on the camera (or the adapter itself). Read the full breakdown of the patent
This would be one highly sought after adaptor if it ever gets made and works like we’d want it to.

Aug 25, 2015 at 07:50 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon patent for tilt-shift adaptor for any EF lens...

Interesting, although I plan to stick with FF sensor cameras for T-S shooting.

The fact that there's only one revolving detector identified in the schematic suggests that it doesn't have individual rotary motions for shift and for tilt, which would be a step backwards from the TS-E 17/4L and 24/3.5L II.

Aug 25, 2015 at 08:42 AM
AJSJones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon patent for tilt-shift adaptor for any EF lens...

Maybe it's for their mirrorless development program - such an adapter couldn't be used on current EF mount lenses on current EF mount bodies, but it could allow Canon lenses with image circles that cover FF (i.e., all non EF-S lenses) to be used with resonable movements in true tilt-shift operation on mirrorless crop cameras. The Canon EF-M could use such an adapter to use EF lenses ...

Edit Just now saw the "other" thread on this - with similar thought processes from FMers

Aug 25, 2015 at 09:48 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon patent for tilt-shift adaptor for any EF lens...

jcolwell wrote:
The fact that there's only one revolving detector identified in the schematic suggests that it doesn't have individual rotary motions for shift and for tilt, which would be a step backwards from the TS-E 17/4L and 24/3.5L II.

There's no reason a single detector can't be used to detect individual rotary motions. The fact that it revolves suggests that it is intended to detect more than one axis of motion.

Aug 25, 2015 at 09:53 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon patent for tilt-shift adaptor for any EF lens...

AJSJones wrote:
Maybe it's for their mirrorless development program - such an adapter couldn't be used on current EF mount lenses on current EF mount bodies, but it could allow Canon lenses with image circles that cover FF (i.e., all non EF-S lenses) to be used with resonable movements in true tilt-shift operation on mirrorless crop cameras. The Canon EF-M could use such an adapter to use EF lenses ...

Edit Just now saw the "other" thread on this - with similar thought processes from FMers

Coverage would be the issue I would think, but you might get away with small movements with an EF lens on an APS-C sensor as you say.

Pretty useless for EF lenses on FF though

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon patent for tilt-shift adaptor for any EF lens...

jcolwell wrote:

molson wrote:
There's no reason a single detector can't be used to detect individual rotary motions. The fact that it revolves suggests that it is intended to detect more than one axis of motion.

I think the fact that it says "detector" not "detectors" suggests that it's only one axis. OTOH, it's far from certain, and so it's definitely not worth much debate.

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon patent for tilt-shift adaptor for any EF lens...

Oops. We have two threads running on this topic. Looks like staticInc was first off the start line.

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:20 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon patent for tilt-shift adaptor for any EF lens...

I guess I missed that thread...damn people posting at 3am!!

Aug 25, 2015 at 01:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.