FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2015 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

virtualrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

Anyone tried this with Capture One Pro? Does it work equally as well?

May 13, 2016 at 04:17 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

virtualrain wrote:

I have not tested with Capture One but it could work similarly.

May 13, 2016 at 04:50 PM
sebbe
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

about C1: I have tried it with a white wall at ISO 2000 (it's evening here and also a rainy day), I can recover the structure of the wall easily. I tested HDR-Highlight (100%) and also Exposure (-2EV). It looks like +2.3 EV could work too, but I would not count on it. +2 EV seems perfect.

May 13, 2016 at 06:27 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

sebbe wrote:
about C1: I have tried it with a white wall at ISO 2000 (it's evening here and also a rainy day), I can recover the structure of the wall easily. I tested HDR-Highlight (100%) and also Exposure (-2EV). It looks like +2.3 EV could work too, but I would not count on it. +2 EV seems perfect.

That's my findings in Lightroom as well. We can push it to +2.3EV but to be on the safe side, I usually don't pass +2EV.

May 13, 2016 at 06:29 PM
exdeejjjaaaa

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

virtualrain wrote:

with any converter you need to account for :

1) hidden expocorrections applied
2) brightness increase through LUT if present in camera profile
3) brightness increase through tone curve

so with C1 - which camera profile and which curve ? OEM supplied profiles and film curve are totally different from for example a simple hand made matrix profile and linear scientific curve... very different.

May 14, 2016 at 03:11 AM
kebebe
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

Thx Fred for the tip. Will try to incorporate into my photography.

May 14, 2016 at 05:07 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

Tried it at iso 100. Indeed at the first signs of zebra, the histogram is a full stop away from even touching the left side, and there is a full 2 stops of room. i will try this during sunset shooting where ther is info in red and blue channel.

Thanks Fred.

May 14, 2016 at 05:43 AM
sebbe
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

@exdeejjjaaaa: Sorry, you are right. But I was assuming that most will use an auto curve of a generic equivalent profile.

I was using my dcamprof-made ICC-profile for the 85GM+A7RII (curve: Auto). It was made with a non-linear lut-curve (analogue to the generic a7RII profile).

Here's an example, I made today. It worked fine. And I like the very good detail in the trees on the lower right side. thanks to this "ETTR"-method there is more information in the dark parts.

as the camera set light

ILCE-7RM2    85mm    f/5.6    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

+2/3 EV shows no zebra 100+

ILCE-7RM2    85mm    f/5.6    1/320s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

+2 2/3 EV (or +2 EV above no zebra 100+)

ILCE-7RM2    85mm    f/5.6    1/80s    100 ISO    +2.7 EV  

recovered with -2.67 EV in C1 and photoshop

100% crop

May 14, 2016 at 08:05 PM
sebbe
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

Just to make it clear: All shots were handheld. The first three are JPGs out of RAW (with C1). And I did not put much effort into post processing the "recovered" one. I also missed to use the lens corrections in C1.

May 14, 2016 at 08:17 PM
virtualrain
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

sebbe wrote:
Just to make it clear: All shots were handheld. The first three are JPGs out of RAW (with C1). And I did not put much effort into post processing the "recovered" one. I also missed to use the lens corrections in C1.

Very cool... the recovered image looks way more interesting than the default exposure. More contrast, less haze, and just more character.

May 15, 2016 at 01:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

sebbe wrote:
@exdeejjjaaaa@: Sorry, you are right. But I was assuming that most will use an auto curve of a generic equivalent profile.

I was using my dcamprof-made ICC-profile for the 85GM+A7RII (curve: Auto). It was made with a non-linear lut-curve (analogue to the generic a7RII profile).

Here's an example, I made today. It worked fine. And I like the very good detail in the trees on the lower right side. thanks to this "ETTR"-method there is more information in the dark parts.

That's a great example of before and after. I should do that.
Basically, using this technique, you can easily ETTR and gain about 2-stops DR which translates to much cleaner shadows.

May 15, 2016 at 01:29 AM
sebbe
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

virtualrain wrote:
Very cool... the recovered image looks way more interesting than the default exposure. More contrast, less haze, and just more character.

Well, I made no correction on the first and a lot on the last. So, it's obvious to have more character (as long as I do the process right. ). ETTR helps you to avoid clipping, but most cameras do that anyway, as you can see at the given example. So why ETTR at all? When you can add some more light to a picture (in this case it was +2.67EV), you will have more color information in the darker areas, which leads to less grain and more detail in those areas.

May 15, 2016 at 10:32 AM
sebbe
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

Fred Miranda wrote:
That's a great example of before and after. I should do that.
Basically, using this technique, you can easily ETTR and gain about 2-stops DR which translates to much cleaner shadows.

I was quite lazy and conservative with ETTR and +EV, because I wanted to be on the save side and not clipping anything. To be honest, this will not work with a whole shooting, because it would be horrible to process all the shots afterwards. but for single shots this may be a very good method.

Fred, thanks for this idea. I will test that further on with other situations. Let's see what kevindar finds out with sunsets.

May 15, 2016 at 10:41 AM
exdeejjjaaaa

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

[most will use an auto curve of a generic equivalent profile.

just a note : there is a custom (non ICC standard tags - they called it 'private' tags) tag that can be inserted in icc/icm camera profile for C1 telling C1 which curve shall be used when user selects "auto" in C1 UI

the tag name is 'P1FC' and the content is the file name of the curve to be selected...

May 15, 2016 at 02:39 PM
coffeeshakes
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

Thanks for this technique, I didn't realize the highlight latitude available. Its really quite easy and seems foolproof. Only downside I see is that initial previews look pretty bad.

Shot from last night with 2 stops over zebras in the sky. Processing was quick and dirty as its not really a keeper, just what I was able to get with this technique. Shadows are really clean for a single exposure.

May 17, 2016 at 03:41 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

Fred:

Just to confirm with the Smooth app you expose where you don't see any zebras with 0 EV correct?

Thanks,
Chris

May 17, 2016 at 04:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

Chris, with the Smooth Reflections app, just expose to the highlights, meaning no zebra patterns.
Even though we get RAW output, for some reason can't use ETTR with this app. However the shadows are so clean with SR, you wouldn't need ETTR anyways.

Schlotkins wrote:
Fred:

Just to confirm with the Smooth app you expose where you don't see any zebras with 0 EV correct?

Thanks,
Chris

May 17, 2016 at 05:47 PM
coffeeshakes
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

Oh wow, and now I just found Smooth Reflections. Lots of new software techniques and tools.

May 17, 2016 at 07:10 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

coffeeshakes wrote:
Oh wow, and now I just found Smooth Reflections. Lots of new software techniques and tools.

I love this app!

May 17, 2016 at 08:27 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Easy ETTR technique using the Zebra pattern

Fred Miranda wrote:
Chris, with the Smooth Reflections app, just expose to the highlights, meaning no zebra patterns.
Even though we get RAW output, for some reason can't use ETTR with this app. However the shadows are so clean with SR, you wouldn't need ETTR anyways.

Thanks Fred. I wonder how many shots it takes with the smooth reflections app to make up for the highlight room lose in terms of total dynamic range.
Chris

May 18, 2016 at 08:07 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password