New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 5DS R Issue With Setting Adobe RGB In Camera

Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DS R Issue With Setting Adobe RGB In Camera

There seems to be an issue with the 5DS R for both live view and reviewed images being noticeably less sharp when the camera's color space is set to Adobe RGB. A friend of mine and I were trying to check critical focus and mark the infinity focus point of several lenses on our 5DS R cameras, and found that one of our two cameras was very noticeably less sharp on the live view screen when magnified to maximum. After checking and comparing things, and swapping lenses around, we found that the issue was specific to one of the two 5DS R cameras, and that both the live view and in camera review of a taken image were affected . Further checking including comparing camera settings seemed to be pointing to a defective 5DS R, until we realized that the "bad" camera had its color space set to Adobe RGB. That seemed like an unlikely difference that would matter, but once that was changed back to the default and very common sRGB, the two cameras behaved identically and showed nice sharp images at 16X magnification. A check of RAW images taken with the Adobe RGB set showed them to be very sharp when viewed in LightRoom or Canon DPP 4, so the actual RAW seems to not be affected.

So for the Canon 5DS R with its original shipping firmware of 1.0.1 R, there seems to be an issue with using an in camera color space setting of Adobe RGB. I have only verified this on two different 5DS R cameras, and do not know if it also occurs on the non R version. I would appreciate it if some 5DS owners would check for the issue, so that the extend of the problem is verified. And since this seems to be a firmware type of issue, we can hope that Canon will fix the problem in a future firmware release. Obviously my friend and I are only using a color space setting of sRGB for now.

Aug 24, 2015 at 02:12 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DS R Issue With Setting Adobe RGB In Camera

Roland W wrote:
There seems to be an issue with the 5DS R for both live view and reviewed images being noticeably less sharp when the camera's color space is set to Adobe RGB. A friend of mine and I were trying to check critical focus and mark the infinity focus point of several lenses on our 5DS R cameras, and found that one of our two cameras was very noticeably less sharp on the live view screen when magnified to maximum. After checking and comparing things, and swapping lenses around, we found that the issue was specific to one of the
...Show more

No such issues observed with mine, and I only ever use AdobeRGB color space.

Aug 24, 2015 at 02:43 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DS R Issue With Setting Adobe RGB In Camera

The difference is not drastic, and only noticeable at 16X magnification, so if you have only ever used Adobe RGB, you might not know that it can be better in sRGB. Also, we settled on a common Picture Style setting of Fine Detail for our testing, and that could make a difference in how strongly this issue shows up.

Aug 24, 2015 at 03:04 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DS R Issue With Setting Adobe RGB In Camera

Roland W wrote:
The difference is not drastic, and only noticeable at 16X magnification, so if you have only ever used Adobe RGB, you might not know that it can be better in sRGB. Also, we settled on a common Picture Style setting of Fine Detail for our testing, and that could make a difference in how strongly this issue shows up.

If it only affects the view on the camera's rear LCD, I likely wouldn't have noticed it, as I usually review images on my iMac.

Aug 24, 2015 at 03:09 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DS R Issue With Setting Adobe RGB In Camera

That's great info Roland. Thanks for taking the time to figure it out and post it. Not everyone carries a laptop out into the field!

Aug 27, 2015 at 08:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.