New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need recommendation for monopod and head for indoor VB

jbtito

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need recommendation for monopod and head for indoor VB

I plan to do some indoor volleyball shooting this season. I’m planning on using my Canon 135L and 70-200 F2.8 IS II. I’d like to get a telescopic monopod (expands with a push of button) and a monopod head that will allow me to quickly switch between vertical and horizontal framing. The most I would like to spend on this setup is $300. Please let me know if you have any recommendations and experience with monopods and heads that meet my expectations. I appreciate all of your feedback in advance.

Aug 23, 2015 at 09:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need recommendation for monopod and head for indoor VB

I use the one-handed Manfrotto Neo-Tec monopod ($190) with RRS MH-01 monopod head to allow elevation changes ($226), and with an RRS L-bracket on the camera to enable quick swapping between horizontal and vertical orientations ($140 to $250). The cost of this setup his exceeds your budget.

I prefer to use an L-bracket on the camera for changing camera orientation, and not a monopod head (or tripod head, for that matter). If most of your shooting is more-or-less horizontal (i.e. parallel to the ground), then you don't need a monopod head, just a QR clamp on top of the pod, and an L-bracket on the camera. If you do shoot off-horizontal (e.g. players who jump waaay up to spike the ball), then the tilt movement you get with a monopod head will allow you to follow the up & down action, while you use the camera's L-braket to change camera orientation. The clamp release time is much faster with a lever-action QR clamp than with a screw-type clamp.

You might find enough "clone" components to match your $300 budget, but I like to stick with suppliers that I know.

Aug 23, 2015 at 09:38 AM
jbtito

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need recommendation for monopod and head for indoor VB

I appreciate your recommendations. I'll start researching the equipment you've suggested.

Aug 23, 2015 at 05:45 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need recommendation for monopod and head for indoor VB

Are you sure you really need a monopod? VB seems a lot like basketball, where you have to constantly and quickly jump around to follow the action. I've never shot VB, but I would never consider a monopod for basketball.

Mark

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:36 AM
jbtito

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need recommendation for monopod and head for indoor VB

msalvetti wrote:
Are you sure you really need a monopod? VB seems a lot like basketball, where you have to constantly and quickly jump around to follow the action. I've never shot VB, but I would never consider a monopod for basketball.

Mark

You have a valid question. That's one of the reason's why I asked for a telescopic monopod so can quickly get it setup. Now you are making me rethink if I'll actually be able to use it .

Aug 24, 2015 at 06:21 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need recommendation for monopod and head for indoor VB

I probably wouldn't use one for VB either, unless I was away from the action with a longish lens, say 300mm.

Aug 24, 2015 at 09:13 AM
architect7
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need recommendation for monopod and head for indoor VB

Years ago when I shot college volleyball professionally I never would have dreamt of using a monopod, the sport is just way too fast. I shot with an EOS-3 and 70-200mm 2.8L...modern high ISO performance DSLRs can probably allow you a lighter 70-200mm f4 depending on how well lit your venues will be. If you have access to house strobes via Pocket Wizard then that's a dream come true

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:49 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need recommendation for monopod and head for indoor VB

I shot volleyball last year with my 70-200 2.8 and would not have been able to use a monopod and capture the action - things just move to fast.

I shot high school under some really crummy lights with a D4 and was pushing the ISO to 12800 constantly. In my area the officials will not allow strobes for Volleyball because the players are looking up so often in contract to basketball.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:59 AM
jbtito

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need recommendation for monopod and head for indoor VB

I appreciate all your feedback. Based on your experiences I'll probably pass on getting the monopod setup for VB. I might revisit the idea in the spring for track and field shoots. Thanks everyone.

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:22 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.