New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Keep D810 or switch for a D3s

threepairsphot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Keep D810 or switch for a D3s

I have two D3Ss and just purchased a D810. I consider all three cameras to be tools, no different than a carpenter having different hammers. They each have their specialty. The D3S is my sports camera/work horse. I should football under the lights at up to 12,800 ISO and never give it a second thought and it is not uncommon for me to be shooting 5 to 10,000 frames at a triathonor Tough Mudder. The D810 (with vertical grip) is my slower, more precise go to for macro work and landscapes. This doesn't really answer your question, but along with what everyone else has posted should help you make a more informed decision. If I had to choose only one of these it would be the D3S

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:47 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Keep D810 or switch for a D3s

I had the same dilemma last month. Loved, loved my D810, but found myself shooting events now more than landscapes and the D810 files were just too much for events. It did allow me to use a 70-200/2.8 as I could crop like crazy, but overall, I had to consider a D3s or D4.

Found a crazy good deal on UsedPhotoPro on a D4 that only cost me $1900. It was advertised as having a scratched sensor, so I called them up and after talking with them, felt comfortable on the purchase as it had a return period if I didn't like it. The scratches were so tiny and have zero effect on the photos. Came with box and everything with just some tiny scratches on the body that are barely noticeable.

Sold my 70-200/2.8 and picked up a 300/2.8 AF-S II here and couldn't be happier!!!

If you shoot anything close to event type stuff, the D810 can really slow your workflow. Going through hundreds of photos in LR after shoot on my max'd out 5K iMac, it was painful waiting for each image to load. With the D4, I'm back in business and really sped up my workflow.

All depends on what your shooting.

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:15 AM
pjheller
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Keep D810 or switch for a D3s

As stated above, it really depends on what you're shooting. I primarily shoot news, sports, action, feaures, etc, and love the D3s. They never let me down. Sure you're not going to be able to crop as much as you can with the 810 and have the image hold up, but that's hardly ever been an issue (just fill the frame).

That said, I have a colleague who shoots sports with an 800 and 810, also uses them for large group photos and studio work. For those latter types of photos, the 800/810 seems ideal.

Just my $.02.

Aug 27, 2015 at 01:18 AM
chip_master
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Keep D810 or switch for a D3s

suhsin wrote:
I've been debating lately whether I want to keep my D810 with grip or sell it and get a D3s instead.
I think I'm really obsessed with an integrated pro body but can't afford a D4 or D4s just yet financially.
But I'm worried that I may be missing out on functions that newer generation cameras offer.
What are your opinions?

If it is only the "grip" no way should you switch.

Curious what are the functions on the newer generations that you feel you might miss you should stay put that are missing on a D3s? I simplfiy it to focus, FPS, IQ/DR, resolution. The D8xx and Dx offer very different extremes.

I had a D810 several times over, it is the best all around Nikon camera ever! .

I just went back to a Df/D4. Got my D4 today tried on my 24-70, 70-200, 200F2. There is no question handling a integrated grip with the 2.8 zooms ( no strap ) has a level of security that I never found with a DSLR with added grip. Put it into 10FPS and was sweet music to my ears. I am looking forward to shooting dance and some sports this fall and nothing beats a pro body and quick bursts with lightening fast focus to pick the best frame, simply not as easy with a D810.

I shot my D810 in low light and for stage shows/ballet. It was wonderful and I wouldn't have traded it for a D4 / D3s.
For sports/action the camera pick is the other way around.

The swing factor for me, I've printed many of my favorite pictures to 16x20, I didn't find D4 versus D3s versus D810 to really matter that much, and my best pictures all came from the higher FPS cameras. decision was done.

They are just tools, pick the best one, sometimes feel is important. I am looking forward to the handling of my D4 and 70-200 2.8 this fall.

Aug 27, 2015 at 01:18 AM
vitalishe
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Keep D810 or switch for a D3s

Another possibility is to get D3s and D800 or D800e (depending on needs) in place of D810. You would have to add some cash, but it would not be as much.

Sep 01, 2015 at 10:13 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.