New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Looking for info on eagles at the Cocowingo Dam in Maryland

runakid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for info on eagles at the Cocowingo Dam in Maryland

Where is the dam located? Where to go when we get there [is there a platform where most of the shots are taken from -like L/D #14 in Iowa? Will we be wasting our time if we go this coming week?

Best time of the day, etc.

Thanks for

Aug 22, 2015 at 07:13 AM
Wilbur Su

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for info on eagles at the Cocowingo Dam in Maryland

This is my old blog post. There is a map there which will help you get there.

http://www.manymilesmanyplaces.com/2012/11/19/conowingo-fishermans-park/

Try to go around Thanksgiving. Highest concentrations of eagles around November into December.

Aug 22, 2015 at 06:28 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for info on eagles at the Cocowingo Dam in Maryland

There are resident eagles, but the best activity is around November, as Wilbur points out, when migratory eagles add to the fray. On weekends during peak activity, the parking and choice tripod spots can fill early in the morning. Later in the day as people leave things open up.
The best views are up the entry road a ways just after the last big tree. That puts you near the upstream tip of the main island with few branches in the way. That being said, depending on the action, anywhere could be good. Depending on the conditions, there is a concrete viewing platform farther up (towards the dam) the access road which provides a lower viewing angle. If the water is not flowing you can go even farther up and stand on the gravel shore for a really nice low angle. Two cautions about being at river level on the shore - 1) if the horn sounds, get out, 2) walk the gravel all the way to the shore. The concrete squares along the way are covered in 'slick as ice' slippery goo. Although nice shots can be had with a 400mm, you'll want 800mm + to have more opportunities. They have flush toilets near the gates. Aberdeen is the nearest large town for lodging. Any time of day is fine but the sun sets behind the mountain early (no pure sunset shots). It's always fun.

David

Aug 22, 2015 at 08:50 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for info on eagles at the Cocowingo Dam in Maryland

Thank you so very much. I had hoped to go next week but will wait until November. I'm a little scared because I am only going to be able to bring a 500. If I go 1.4TC that will help and I'll use it on a crop camera.

Thanks so much.

Aug 22, 2015 at 09:51 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for info on eagles at the Cocowingo Dam in Maryland

runakid, your equipment will do you just fine. Around Thanksgiving there can be upwards of 150-200 eagles in the area. Shooting is best when they are releasing water which happens several times a day and at those times the action will be fast and furious. Often the Eagles will return to a roost to eat their fish and will land in the trees right above your head. Good luck. Maybe see you there.

Sep 10, 2015 at 03:49 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for info on eagles at the Cocowingo Dam in Maryland

Thanks for your help and thoughts. I'll be the good looking Nikon photographer.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:12 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for info on eagles at the Cocowingo Dam in Maryland

Come to Haines AK instead....3000+ eagles in November and much better adventure. Mitesh and I will be their Nov 7-16.

Sep 11, 2015 at 07:47 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for info on eagles at the Cocowingo Dam in Maryland

Haines will have to wait for another year. Too much on my plate for 2015. Haines all be a wonderful spot- just not this winter. Fantastic picture- thanks for sharing.

dan

Sep 11, 2015 at 07:55 AM
eesterle

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for info on eagles at the Cocowingo Dam in Maryland

arbitrage wrote:
Come to Haines AK instead....3000+ eagles in November and much better adventure. Mitesh and I will be their Nov 7-16.

You nailed it on this one! I live 72 minutes from Conowingo which is why I go there. It is good for around here, but it mystifies me why people fly in from all over the world to shoot at Conowingo when they could go to Alaska and have such a better setting and adventure. Not to mention, Alaska is closer to some people that I've met at Conowingo. Conowingo is good for around here, but will never be able to hold a candle to Alaska.

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:14 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.