New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Ikan Microspot review

aboudd
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ikan Microspot review

I just posted a review with photos on the Ikan iLED-MS shoe mounted light. This is a cute little spot with barn doors, a diffusion panel and another panel to change the 5600K light to 3300K. When the light is mounted on a camera it has a little wiggle going on. I didn't want to torque down the retaining nut too tightly, but there is little danger of it falling out of the shoe.

The light is not camera specific, so you can use it with a DSLR, p&s or iPhone. If you like to take photos of food when you are dining out, this is a handy accessory, you can add a bit of punch to your shots with little effort.

If you find this interesting, I invite you to visit my blog at www.foto-gizmo.blogspot.com

Thanks,

Aboud Dweck

©Photo by Aboud Dweck, All Rights Reserved

Ikan Microlight on Canon flash shoe.

Aug 21, 2015 at 02:18 PM
jackfb

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ikan Microspot review

I agree with your positive review. I picked one up during a B&H 1-day sale recently and it's currently on special at Adorama. I love it - lightweight, compact and solidly built. Good for fill light, rim light, macro, video interviews, etc. The built-in lithium battery lasts about 3 hours at full light output, but it's not interchangeable so you need to be sure it's charged before starting a shoot.

Aug 21, 2015 at 04:25 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ikan Microspot review

The achilles heel with all of these: how much actual output does it have?

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:39 AM
aboudd
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ikan Microspot review

Mark, I have no way of measuring lumens or anything like that, but I can tell you the results of this simple test I did. At a distance of 4 feet @ 640 ISO, 1/100 of a sec. I took two properly exposed frames, one by available light only, at F2.5 and another with the ambient light augmented by the Microspot at full power. The correct f stop of the second exposure was F5.0. I think the formula is that light falls off by 1 full f stop for a 1/2 increase in distance, which confirms my thought that this is a light source best used in close.

Current B&H price is S89.95, Adorama has it on special for half-price, $39.95. For that minor amount of change it may be a nice little addition to you kit.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:26 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.