FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Album mistake - customer service question

frustrated

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Album mistake - customer service question

1. Client approves album, but then once it is received wants a few changes. Notably the cover to have the names and date embossed, but also some changes to the photos and design.

2. I make the needed changes (at no charge), and sell the client a new album at my cost (over $500).

3. One mistake is made on the new album.........The date is correct and is in the standard US format (month, day, year). However, the client wanted the date format to be (day, month, year). The client is unhappy about this.

How would you handle this situation?

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:50 AM
Kannalaphoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Album mistake - customer service question

They are probably using the date format as an excuse to get the other changes done at little to no cost.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:57 AM
frustrated

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Album mistake - customer service question

No, they are good with everything except the date. However, the client says this does bother them since the cover was the main reason they decided to order a replacement in the first place.

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:10 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Album mistake - customer service question

Talk to the vendor and see what the cost would be to swap that one component?

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:39 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Album mistake - customer service question

SloPhoto wrote:
Talk to the vendor and see what the cost would be to swap that one component?

Exactly. You don't need a whole new album for that most likely. And if that's how it was shown in the proof or in their emails they need to pay that cost, if it was your mistake obviously you have to eat it.

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM
frustrated

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Album mistake - customer service question

It's over $200 for just a new cover. Didn't have a proof for the cover, but it was mentioned in one email how it should have been written.

I guess the part I struggle with is I went the extra mile by not charging for changes and giving the second album at cost. I even gave the couple a free engagement session at one point (something I never do). It's hard for me to wrap my head around the date format as something that is very important.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:08 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Album mistake - customer service question

What was the original cover. Did you have the date on this one in any way and if so, in what format? If they approved a US format then it should be on them. Otherwise it may be on you.

Given that you are US based it not unreasonable to have made the date US format. Did they specifically state a UK format.

People miss details in emails. Always best to mock up any cover design, even a debossed version. If the date is just numbers then it's more of an issue than if it were words and numbers.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:26 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Album mistake - customer service question

I agree with Kurtis. If the exact wording, spelling, and format of the cover emboss was sent via email, and they replied indicating their approval, the cost to make the change should be on them. Sending a proof is better, but if the email was explicit and clear it's not your fault.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:26 PM
frustrated

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Album mistake - customer service question

leethecam wrote:
What was the original cover. Did you have the date on this one in any way and if so, in what format? If they approved a US format then it should be on them. Otherwise it may be on you.

Given that you are US based it not unreasonable to have made the date US format. Did they specifically state a UK format.

People miss details in emails. Always best to mock up any cover design, even a debossed version. If the date is just numbers then it's more of an issue than if it were words and numbers.

The original just had a photo (no names or dates). Replacement has names and date with the month spelled out.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:43 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Album mistake - customer service question

frustrated wrote:
... but it was mentioned in one email how it should have been written...

I am not clear on this part, was it spelled out the way they wanted it or the way it came out?

Aug 21, 2015 at 01:02 PM
frustrated

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Album mistake - customer service question

SloPhoto wrote:
I am not clear on this part, was it spelled out the way they wanted it or the way it came out?

Ok, they did point out one time how they wanted it. It was my mistake not to notice. I thought they just wanted the name and date on it, and I didn't even notice the odd format they wanted.

Aug 21, 2015 at 01:39 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Album mistake - customer service question

when it comes to printing expensive stuff like this I ask VERY detailed questions for this very reason and I am guessing it was an easy but expensive mistake which sucks

Aug 21, 2015 at 01:42 PM
elevationphoto
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Album mistake - customer service question

I'm curious if they are expecting to keep the existing album, plus get a new one? I would start by offering a $75 refund to them and see if they will meet you there. That might make them happy and resolve everything. Otherwise, tell them that you will need to get album back for exchange. Perhaps worth exploring local third party that can disassemble cover, wrap in new leather, and re-emboss.

Aug 21, 2015 at 02:11 PM
elevationphoto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Album mistake - customer service question

Also I have no idea what album looks like, but I bet you could go to a leather boot repair place and get a nice leather plaque or inset to place where current embossing is - something like this.

http://www.hartnackandco.com/plaques-inlays

Aug 21, 2015 at 02:21 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Album mistake - customer service question

elevationphoto wrote:
I'm curious if they are expecting to keep the existing album, plus get a new one? I would start by offering a $75 refund to them and see if they will meet you there. That might make them happy and resolve everything. Otherwise, tell them that you will need to get album back for exchange. Perhaps worth exploring local third party that can disassemble cover, wrap in new leather, and re-emboss.

That would be a good option to try. This way you can see just how much it bugs them. Alas it does sound like your error (it happens to the best of us), and despite your earlier generosity it be down to you to correct if needed.

If you need to correct then get the album back for an amendment. Clarify with a mock up before you do anything to avoid a 2nd problem.

Aug 21, 2015 at 02:27 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Album mistake - customer service question

Unfortunately you've made 2 mistakes. The first is the date. It was requested and you missed it so I think it's on you to do it.

The 2nd mistake was doing the other album at cost. You wouldn't feel so bad if there had been a bit in the 2nd album to cover "issues". I wouldn't have done this without some profit. I don't work for nothing. Discount. Fine. At cost, Nope.

You feel let down because you covered the cost of their issues and now something thinks that they should let you off for being a nice guy the first time. They don't see it that way.

Gordon

Aug 21, 2015 at 03:05 PM
morbidsteve

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Album mistake - customer service question

flash wrote:
Unfortunately you've made 2 mistakes. The first is the date. It was requested and you missed it so I think it's on you to do it.

The 2nd mistake was doing the other album at cost. You wouldn't feel so bad if there had been a bit in the 2nd album to cover "issues". I wouldn't have done this without some profit. I don't work for nothing. Discount. Fine. At cost, Nope.

You feel let down because you covered the cost of their issues and now something thinks that they should let you off for being a nice guy the first time.
...Show more

This is your answer. Sorry man.

Aug 21, 2015 at 05:23 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Album mistake - customer service question

This one is on you. What happened prior to delivering the second album should have no bearing on how you handle this. The date format is wrong. Apologize, bite the bullet and handle it ASAP. I'm curious about your train of thought. Besides the solution above, what alternative are you considering? Whatever it is, this would be the time to take past history into consideration.

Aug 21, 2015 at 08:13 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Album mistake - customer service question

frustrated wrote:
It's hard for me to wrap my head around the date format as something that is very important.

It sure as hell would be for me!

I understand the US having the imperial measurement system but I think the date format is totally and utterly moronic!
Month, day Year It makes NO effing sense what so ever.
If these people come from elsewhere and have friends from other backgrounds or even work in an industry where the date is written in a logical format, it's going to be both wrong and bloody confusing.
I can tell you this, there is no way in hell I'd accept anything with US date format when I specified how I wanted it to be written.

If these people took their album anywhere else in the world, like possibly their or the family home country, they are likely to be confused or think the date is wrong. Perhaps they are not intending to stay in the US forever?
Imperial is a self descriptive definition, inches, feet etc but as a country that prides it self on being an international leader, to use the coked up date system they cling to is nothing short of ridiculous in this day and age.

If I was in the US and got the US date on MY wedding album or anything else I asked for to be done different and was agreed to, I would shit a kidney and it sure as hell wouldn't be to get a discount. I would want my album the way -I- wanted, specified and paid for it regardless of where I was or what anyone else thought of it.

If it was their name spelt a different / unusual way, you wouldn't question that, to me this is exactly the same.
They told you what they wanted, If you didn't tell them they couldn't have it, it's on you I'm afraid.

I agree with what has been said. It's commendable ( although none to business savvy I'd suggest) you tried to help them out but that doesn't fix the problem. Unfortunately it's not for you or anyone else to say it's a trivial thing or they should let it go, it's significant to them and it would be a HUGE thing to me as well.

As suggested, something may be able to be placed on the existing cover to repair the problem but if not, Sorry, your mistake, you are going to have to wear the replacement cost.

I did an entire album once and left out one page of table shots. The groom threw a hissy fit and wouldn't accept anything but the album as laid out so I was up for a whole new album. I KNOW he did it to try and get the other album for next to nothing ( not that it worked) but none the less, I stuffed it so I had to fix it at my cost.
Fortunately for me at least there was plenty in the deal so it was an annoyance as was his over the top complaining and wanting the other album rather than having to wear a loss on the whole deal.

You can't win them all but it sure helps to try by not making mistakes and getting everything signed off like this.
I won't even start an album till I have a written approval of all variables like this and the album layout.

Aug 21, 2015 at 08:54 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Album mistake - customer service question

Frustrated,

Good user name.

And be of good cheer. Great lessons learned here and it didn't put you out of business. This is good stuff.

Lots of other sound input but... what Steve and Gordon said, all day long. Those are your answers.

A few thoughts:

1) "Cost" is never the cost. Seriously... never. Cost is when you only mark something up 20%. Take that to heart. Scrawl it on your wall. Tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids.

frustrated wrote:
I guess the part I struggle with is I went the extra mile by not charging for changes and giving the second album at cost. I even gave the couple a free engagement session at one point (something I never do). It's hard for me to wrap my head around the date format as something that is very important.

2) Free engagement sessions may seem doable because they only involve your time. Well, it doesn't only involve your time. Every single time you prepare gear, load gear, put your car on the road - that's all exposure to risk. No matter how careful we are, life dents things, sh*t happens and that costs you money and/or health. If you have to wake up and get out of bed to answer a client phone call, that needs to be rolled into what you charge. Don't do free. If you do, that's a personal gift you pay for out of pocket and has nothing to do with business.

3) The day/month/year date format is a time-honored sequence and even in the US is considered by many to be the only way to properly represent a date of significance especially on any classic or luxury item. Don't suggest to your clients you're not already aware of that. It will not benefit any upper market aspirations you may have.

4) When we read, our brains are about two steps ahead of our eyes and our cognitive processing. Our minds are filling in blanks, completing sentences, making assumptions, trying to make everything fit and make sense. That means we basically suck at proofing.

On important items I've found it helps to proof backwards. When I do that my brain is matching up letters and numbers that mean nothing but what they are... glyphs. They're just shapes to me. There's little risk of me seeing a familiar pattern of letters and calling it good to go because backwards, nothing's familiar.

Just a thought and sorry for the bummer experience, but seriously, it's all good.

Regards,

Chuck

Edit: I should have just sat still and trusted Glort would chime in. Similar input. More colorful tone. Ya gotta love that guy.

And I wrote "shit a kidney" down. Now that's imagery...

Aug 21, 2015 at 09:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.