FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Colorado CJ
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Here's my first home processed slide film (or color film for that matter). I used the Arista Rapid E-6 kit to develop it.

Just a shot of one of the lakes in my town.

Taken with a Zone VI 4x5 camera and Fujinon W 125mm F5.6 lens, using a 2 stop graduated ND filter. Shot on Velvia 100 and processed with Arista E-6 chemicals.

Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:08 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Hey Andrew,

Now that sure looks pretty cool! Hopefully you liked the results and we will get to see more color slides from you.

Jim

Aug 21, 2015 at 04:04 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Funny you post this, I literally just had a conversation with an older gentleman the other day and he said "You're so lucky you have digital these days, you would have never got color like this if you were using film". I wish I had one of my old film photos to show him...

I really need to figure out how to educate people better because I hear so many "comments" or "opinions" about photography that are totally not true or completely misguided....

Nice work with the film, can't wait to see more.

Aug 21, 2015 at 08:37 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Wonderful color and texture here. I am also looking forward to more posts of your work with film. Thanks for posting.

Aug 21, 2015 at 09:01 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Andrew,
Great color & management of the light.
Love to see someone working the magic of Velvia's colors

I usually wimp out & shoot Astia

Thanks for posting

Dan

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:53 PM
Alan Brock
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Phenomenal! What were your overall impressions of developing E-6? I've only done black and white developing so far, but am interested in doing my own color film.

Aug 21, 2015 at 01:32 PM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

JimFox wrote:
Hey Andrew,

Now that sure looks pretty cool! Hopefully you liked the results and we will get to see more color slides from you.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I love the results and will definitely be posting more.

I went on a weekend camping trip and hiked the Hanging Lake trail so I'll have some Velvia 50 slides to post of that hike shortly!

Aug 25, 2015 at 08:25 PM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Brad Williams wrote:
Funny you post this, I literally just had a conversation with an older gentleman the other day and he said "You're so lucky you have digital these days, you would have never got color like this if you were using film". I wish I had one of my old film photos to show him...

I really need to figure out how to educate people better because I hear so many "comments" or "opinions" about photography that are totally not true or completely misguided....

Nice work with the film, can't wait to see more.

Yeah, there is a lot of misinformation out there with all aspects of photography. It goes the other way as well, I constantly get told, "Nice camera, it must take really good pictures!" It really doesn't matter if it is a $10.00 rangefinder or a $3000.00 latest and greatest, there will always be someone who can make that $10.00 camera sing.

Aug 25, 2015 at 08:29 PM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

1bwana1 wrote:
Wonderful color and texture here. I am also looking forward to more posts of your work with film. Thanks for posting.

Thank you. More to come shortly. The next ones will be from some older Fuji Quickload Velvia 50's. Hope they turn out!

Aug 25, 2015 at 08:30 PM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Alan Brock wrote:
Phenomenal! What were your overall impressions of developing E-6? I've only done black and white developing so far, but am interested in doing my own color film.

Thanks!

Over all, it was much easier than I thought it would be. The whole constant temperature bath thing really was a stumbling block for me, until I did a lot of reading.

I didn't have a water bath, so all I did was use a plastic basin, filled it with 120 degree water, placed my E-6 chemical bottles in it, a gallon of water for the wash, and my daylight tank and waited until my first developer reached 106 degrees (arista chemicals need to be at 105). I kept adding a little water to the plastic basin to keep the water in it to as close to 105 degrees as possible.

I then started developing, using a bessler motor base and a jobo drum (you could also use a unicolor or bessler paper drum). As the first developer was doing its thing for 6.5 minutes, I kept track of the water bath in the plastic basin, taking a little water out and adding a little hot water to keep it at 105 degrees.

It sounds like it is tricky, but it was VERY easy to do and worked great the first time I tried it.

That being said, I would REALLY like to get a Jobo processor to make the whole affair plug and play.

Aug 25, 2015 at 08:37 PM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Wow! Love the colour and the contrasts and the layers, amazing result!

Aug 25, 2015 at 09:08 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Hey Andrew I grew up using Agfa Portriga Rapid and Kodak Microdol developer for B&W. Do they still make them?

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:40 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Colorado CJ wrote:
Yeah, there is a lot of misinformation out there with all aspects of photography. It goes the other way as well, I constantly get told, "Nice camera, it must take really good pictures!" It really doesn't matter if it is a $10.00 rangefinder or a $3000.00 latest and greatest, there will always be someone who can make that $10.00 camera sing.

Oh yeah, I hear that all the time art art fairs, but in reverse, while looking at the photo they say "You must have a really nice camera". If its someone that seems halfway interested, I will say its more about knowing how to use it properly, other people I just say "thanks".

Aug 26, 2015 at 09:36 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Nice, props for doing your own 4x5 processing! Consider a Phototherm SSK or SK-4 for processing. I find it better than any Jobo.

Aug 26, 2015 at 09:48 AM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

sachman wrote:
Wow! Love the colour and the contrasts and the layers, amazing result!

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:03 AM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

dalite wrote:
Hey Andrew I grew up using Agfa Portriga Rapid and Kodak Microdol developer for B&W. Do they still make them?

No, neither are available any more. You can use Xtol which is the successor of Microdol, and even better.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:04 AM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lake Loveland - Velvia - 4x5

Ed Sawyer wrote:
Nice, props for doing your own 4x5 processing! Consider a Phototherm SSK or SK-4 for processing. I find it better than any Jobo.

I wish I had the money for a Phototherm. Heck, I don't even have the money for a broke down Jobo at the moment, that is why I wish I had one

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:05 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.