New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

analogous

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

Anyone using this lens for work? I have been working with one for the last three months and want to share my images.

Aug 20, 2015 at 05:43 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

Couple of guys on the MF thread have them, you'd be welcome to post them there if you are using it on a Nikon body ?

Andy

Aug 20, 2015 at 08:53 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

What Andy said... we have a number of folks hanging out on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread who shoot with the NOCT and share images from time to time. I can think of three members at the moment. We'll reduce the price of admission since you're a Bay Area neighbor...

We do ask, however, that photos posted on the thread be shot with Nikon manual focus lenses mounted on a Nikon camera... It makes the conversation a bit more relaxed that way.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:10 PM
Nima M
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

what's the reasoning for frowning upon people who use other camera systems share their manual nikon glass shots? seems like a very self limiting rule you're imposing on others who could share their pics. it is titled manual nikon GLASS after all. the camera is just a box with a hole at the end of the day. i don't buy the purist argument at all.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:04 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

too many posts on that thread - not elitist

I wish they'd break that thread up into 35/1.4, noct., fast 50s, and others - at least 4 threads

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:44 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

funwithlight wrote:
what's the reasoning for frowning upon people who use other camera systems share their manual nikon glass shots? seems like a very self limiting rule you're imposing on others who could share their pics. it is titled manual nikon GLASS after all. the camera is just a box with a hole at the end of the day. i don't buy the purist argument at all.

Folks using Nikon manual focus lenses with other systems have ample opportunities to share their photos on the Alternative Gear forum or the Sony forum or the Canon forum. This topic has been addressed by members of that thread on a number of occasions and the shared opinion which my comment reflects led to a sentence added to the start of the thread to make things clear for anyone who may be confused by the title.

This thread is devoted to those photographers shooting with Nikon digital and film cameras who mount manual focus Nikon lenses, specifically those lenses with either Nikkor or Series E Nikon labels.

Folks using Nikon manual focus lenses on other camera systems (Fuji/Canon/Leica/Sony) are directed to the Alternative Gear forum. This thread is reserved for folks using those lenses on Nikon film and digital cameras. Sorry about that...

This approach allows us to focus on the capability of the lenses without needing to compare and contrast or debate how well they do on other systems. Anyone who wants that kind of conversation is more than welcome to initiate a thread. We're approaching five years doing it this way and it seems to work quite well for everyone participating. I respect the wishes of those who prefer not to engage in that conversation, however.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:54 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

rw11 wrote:
too many posts on that thread - not elitist

I wish they'd break that thread up into 35/1.4, noct., fast 50s, and others - at least 4 threads

The beauty about FM is the every elitist is free to initiate any conversation on any topic they wish. Isn't freedom grand?

And by the way, when I started that thread on August 22, 2010, I had no idea it would last this long and become this big. For some reason, folks want to keep talking about these lenses and sharing photos taken with them. I'll leave it to you to initiate the four threads you'd like to see. It might be fun.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:58 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

I'm not enough of an elitist to do that

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:49 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

analogous wrote:
Anyone using this lens for work? I have been working with one for the last three months and want to share my images.

You should just make this the official NOCT thread then, just like the 200 f/2 thread.
Go ahead and start posting some pics..

Edited on Aug 21, 2015 at 06:11 PM · View previous versions

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:58 AM
Eiffel
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

I have one and I use it for fun and for work, great lens for portrait.

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:41 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

Because I'm poor I don't own the NOCT. I've had to settle for one 50 f/1.2 AI-s and two 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI lenses, which are definitely enjoyable lenses with which to shoot. We all know there is a reason why the NOCT is so much more expensive, though the current price paid for a used copy has more to do with market forces than anything else. The lens was under $800 when brand new. My guess is that for many it is simply the cachet of owning this rare lens rather than its unique utility. It was originally designed for night shooting with a manually ground front aspherical element which effectively eliminates coma at the periphery of the field, something I know from experience is problematic with both the 50 and 55 fast lenses.

So it is worth owning if you want it OR need it but whatever it does well can in most situations be done equally well by less expensive means. At least I keep telling myself that...

Aug 21, 2015 at 02:03 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

Learn to Love Coma

Aug 21, 2015 at 02:52 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

rw11 wrote:
Learn to Love Coma

Or stop down...

Aug 21, 2015 at 02:58 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

I just use a different, more modern lens, rather than stop down my little MF razor-thin DOF jewels...

Aug 21, 2015 at 05:51 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

CGrindahl wrote:
Because I'm poor I don't own the NOCT. I've had to settle for one 50 f/1.2 AI-s and two 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI lenses, which are definitely enjoyable lenses with which to shoot. We all know there is a reason why the NOCT is so much more expensive, though the current price paid for a used copy has more to do with market forces than anything else. The lens was under $800 when brand new. My guess is that for many it is simply the cachet of owning this rare lens rather than its unique utility. It was originally designed
...Show more

I'm poor too, and had to sell some lenses to fund it. My only regret is why I didn't buy one sooner! It's such an amazing lens, especially coupled with the Df

Put it this way Curtis.... The Noct is a bargain compared to the $10,000 Leica Noctilux

Aug 21, 2015 at 06:24 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

I definitely enjoy the work you've shared with the lens Joseph and am delighted it works so well for you. The difference between being poor at your age and at mine is the fact you have many more years to earn the money that will replace what you spent on the NOCT. I'm delighted to be retired, but one downside is that those healthy checks I was receiving while working no longer arrive twice a month... I sold my big ticket lenses, the ones with a red ring around them to finance building an MF kit. To generate funds for the NOCT now I'd have to let go of a bit chunk of my kit. I think it safest for me to enjoy the 55 f/1.2 and look on admiringly as you, Low, Paul and others share work with the NOCT. You'll get a great many more likes Joseph. Keep em coming.

Aug 21, 2015 at 07:22 PM
Eiffel
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

Hi Analogous, you can check my work with the Noct on various Nikon FF bodies:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lhotelin/sets/72157623941418515

Aug 21, 2015 at 08:11 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

funwithlight wrote:

Because the person who started it set those rules. It's not a Purist thing it was a decision made on the first post of the thread. Plenty of other places to post images with Nikon glass and other bodies. Besides, the thread is huge enough as it is.

Seems like once a year we get one of these silly posts from someone ticked off that the thread has rules they don't agree with - not very mature.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:26 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

Joseph. wrote:
I'm poor too, and had to sell some lenses to fund it. My only regret is why I didn't buy one sooner! It's such an amazing lens, especially coupled with the Df

Put it this way Curtis.... The Noct is a bargain compared to the $10,000 Leica Noctilux

x2 what joseph said...actually regret not buying more than just one sooner....sheesh!

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:09 AM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The 58mm Noct-Nikkor 1.2

I'd love to see noct and 55mm 1.2 comparisons

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:37 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.