New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lightroom - The Turning Gate Plugins, CE4 Web Publishing Suite

jek-wy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom - The Turning Gate Plugins, CE4 Web Publishing Suite

I'm considering purchasing TTG CE4 Web Publishing Suite, plugins for Lightroom. Has anyone here worked with this software? I would like to know if it is difficult to set up and if this is a good method for creating a responsive web site. Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks - Jim

Aug 20, 2015 at 04:16 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom - The Turning Gate Plugins, CE4 Web Publishing Suite

Jim,

The TTG web stuff is about the best there is out there for a website plug-in. I've been using it for years - see the www below. I will say that it is not the most intuitive process and be aware that every time he introduces a new version you basically have to start from scratch because he provides no manner to upgrade your site created from the old version to the new one, i.e. site done in ver 3 to ver 4 for example. IMO, the owner is pretty much bullheaded when it comes to this, certainly not customer oriented. On the positive side, it is heavily featured and can do a lot.

Matt

Aug 21, 2015 at 03:59 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom - The Turning Gate Plugins, CE4 Web Publishing Suite

What OS are you running?

Aug 22, 2015 at 09:30 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom - The Turning Gate Plugins, CE4 Web Publishing Suite

I don't use Turning Gate plugins myself, Jim, but I am a web developer. The best thing to probably do at this stage is review the requirements at http://shop.theturninggate.net/products/web-publishing-bundle (especially those about web hosting), as well as the examples of customers sites created using the tools, which can be found at http://ce4.theturninggate.net/demos/showcase/. Reviewing the documentation provided at http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku.php should also give you an idea of the level of complexity involved with using the tools to create a web site.

The demos mentioned above should also give you an idea of the sort of responsive sites that can be made with the tools.

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:18 AM
jek-wy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom - The Turning Gate Plugins, CE4 Web Publishing Suite

Thank you! The setup does look a bit involved. Matt, I enjoyed your site, thank you for the reference. I've been going through the support documentation and will continue until I have a better idea how it works. I have checked the host requirements and my current host, iPage, does meet them. Thank you for that suggestion - it would be a terrible discovery after the purchase. I'm running Win 7 Pro and am considering moving to 10 later this year (with an image of 7 on hand you can be sure).

I appreciate all the valuable input - one more question. Has the photo load speed on the sites viewed above seemed reasonable for the sites you've visited above? I'm getting some lag time on my end but it could be my provider. I get spinning dots while images load - maybe that's normal, but seems a little slow. I do like the galleries I've viewed though.

Again - Thank you all! Jim

Aug 22, 2015 at 07:36 PM
jaclarkaus
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom - The Turning Gate Plugins, CE4 Web Publishing Suite

Runs on Linux server ... counts me out

Aug 22, 2015 at 07:54 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom - The Turning Gate Plugins, CE4 Web Publishing Suite

I don't think anything in the code is slowing down the sample sites, Jim, though a few of the sites are loading larger files as well as a larger number of files, both of which can impact overall page loading speed.

As for loading on a Linux server, Linux/Unix is the most prevalent OS used by hosting companies. See http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-linux/all/all for more information.

Aug 23, 2015 at 02:24 PM
jek-wy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom - The Turning Gate Plugins, CE4 Web Publishing Suite

Thanks for that feedback - so far the delay is my only concern. I'm going through the TTG tutorials on Youtube and I like the interface. Once I get through I may very well give it a try. My last sites were html and this looks like a decent way to create a responsive web site without much hassle.

I appreciate all the input! Jim

Aug 24, 2015 at 01:22 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.