New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

So with recent excellent MTF and Variation series on Lensrentals, I noticed that such a huge discrepancy between the makers' published MTF charts and the averaged MTF charts from Lensrentals, especially as one moves away from the center. It's understandable that Canikon's MTF would be off since they're calculated in the most optimistic way . But even Zeiss, with the much touted real world measured MTF, shows significant difference as well.

Is this purely because of the different machines and how they measure these things? (Zeiss K-8 vs. Trioptics Imagemaster).

Then Roger brought up a good point with the current modern Canon lenses with very low copy variation. It's not about QC, but a more relaxed design that allows variation with minimal impact on IQ. Thus, lenses like the Otus have quite average sample variation score because of the complexity. I bet those Leica lenses would have abysmal score. What do you guys think?

In case you missed the series:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/measuring-lens-variance (1st post outlines the methodology)

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/07/variation-measurement-for-50mm-slr-lenses (50mm)
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/07/variance-measurement-for-35mm-slr-lenses (35mm)
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/07/variation-measurements-for-wide-angle-lenses (WA)
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/07/variation-measurements-for-telephoto-lenses (Tele)
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/07/supertelephoto-mtf-curves (supertele)
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/07/24-70-f2-8-zoom-mtf-and-variation (24-70)
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/08/wide-angle-zoom-mtf-and-variations (WA zoom)
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/08/70-200mm-f2-8-mtf-and-variations (70-200 )
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/08/mtf-and-variation-an-example (Case study of the CZ 21)

Aug 20, 2015 at 09:46 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

I apologize in advance for my opinion that some might find objectionable but I think lensrentals are just pretending to be something they are not. I do like the humor and sarcasm and some articles are interesting but knowledgeable they are not and their tests are very inconsistent and have many contradictions. Sorry again I do realize they have a lot of fans here.

Aug 20, 2015 at 09:56 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I will almost always have to go through a few samples of any lens to get a great performer. Roger's tests really bring this point home for most lenses I think. It also explains how we often see such different opinions about a specific lens and across the frame performance. I was surprised how well some of the more modern Canon lenses fared with lens variation though.

Aug 20, 2015 at 09:57 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

edwardkaraa wrote:
I apologize in advance for my opinion that some might find objectionable but I think lensrentals are just pretending to be something they are not. I do like the humor and sarcasm and some articles are interesting but knowledgeable they are not and their tests are very inconsistent and have many contradictions. Sorry again I do realize they have a lot of fans here.

Interesting. Could you point out some of these inconsistencies and contradictions?

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:00 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

edwardkaraa wrote:

Since they're a rental house, they have what none other testers would have: multiple copies of the same lens and access to MTF optical bench. Even the manufacturers can't afford to test multiple copies of the same lens and publish the data.

I agree there are inconsistencies, notably to me is the Otus results and that recent 50mm comparison they have between DSLR and RF, or that sensor stack thickness database. I do read the comments as well since sometimes people raise some legitimate questions that might or might not be answered satisfactory (that's when you know there is a red-flag). Like with all tests, we need to decide which one to take in.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:23 AM
Brandon Dube
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

Strictly speaking, all of the MTF/variation stuff is done by Olaf Optical Testing, not LR.

Is this purely because of the different machines and how they measure these things? (Zeiss K-8 vs. Trioptics Imagemaster).

The K8, ImageMaster, LensCheck, and Wells Research MTF benches all measure in the same way with minor differences in the light sources used and targets imaged. The LensCheck supports 6 different targets to calculate MTF from - different sized pinholes and slit targets if one wishes to measure only one orientation with the utmost accuracy. The ImageMaster is limited to a set of perpendicular slits (i.e a cross) because of patents filed by Optikos on videoMTF from a pinhole. The K8 is an "oldschool" machine to the best of my knowledge and has what is essentially a rotating target with slits of increasingly fine frequency printed in it which are imaged by a collimator and re-imaged by the lens under test.

The LensCheck system is horizontal, as is the Wells system, both the ImageMaster and K8 are vertical - though the K9 is horizontal I believe. The ImageMaster rotates the object about the Lens Under Test (LUT) as does the K8, but the Wells and Optikos machines rotate the LUT.

In terms of numbers, if you measure the same exact sample on two machines in the same conditions with the same spectral filtering, you get the same result to the limit of the accuracy of the equipment manufacture's calculations. These machines essentially take an image of a known target, subtract the known, and FFT the results. There is nothing different happening in any of them, and you can find a very small bit of the math in This paper from Optikos. The LensCheck manual has the complete math, but I am not sure Optikos would like me to share the manual here, so I will withhold.

Regarding the manufacture charts - I believe Canon's charts are the "as-fabricated" option from the design software they use. This is because sometimes the measurements exceed those numbers on axis in the average by a fair margin, and a copy would need to approach the nominal design to exceed that. The off-axis differences are all down to build aberrations and to some extent measurement reality. A big part of the reality is that CAD is unaffected by vignetting, while the machine must increase exposure to counteract vignetting. This causes the visible size of the spot to increase, lowering MTF. It is a fundamental problem of MTF benches, but I know for a fact both the LensCheck and ImageMaster machines do corrections for this.

Zeiss' results are indeed measured, but I believe they are at best focus for each point. E.g the ZE 21mm has simply impossible MTF for the model in their charts if you take best center focus and that's it. The most nominal copy of the ZE 21mm I've seen (of about 30 copies on the bench, mind you) has an on-axis MTF at 40lp/mm of 0.82 and at 7/10 field where the astigmatism inverts it is about 0.42. Zeiss' measurements show strong astigmatism there, but if you did MTF vs Field vs Focus you would see that what is happening is the two focal planes are curved differently and their curvatures intersect there, providing no astigmatism. Zeiss' measurements having astigmatism says to me that they are focusing for the highest absolute MTF there (absolute meaning it looks for MAX(Tan+Sag)).

Either that or they find a very well assembled but tilted as shit copy and measure the better side. Tilt + Field Curvature brings one side more into focus and one side more out of focus, raising MTF on one side and lowering on the other.

Then Roger brought up a good point with the current modern Canon lenses with very low copy variation. It's not about QC, but a more relaxed design that allows variation with minimal impact on IQ.

Please please please do not take Roger's word on tolerancing as gospel. I do not mean this to disrespect Roger, he is very intelligent and highly educated, but tolerancing is the most advanced topic in lens design, and he is no lens designer. It is beyond prime design, zoom design, aspheric surface design, all of these things are easier than tolerancing. I think Canon's newest designs are very intelligently toleranced, but the spots from all of the copies of the exceptionally consistent lenses are seriously clean. If the tolerances were wide the MTF would be high but the spots would be messy with many misalignment aberrations on axis. This is not the case, and the only thing I can think of is that canon is building their lenses on robotized alignment equipment. Jenoptik has a few systems in Florida that do this - using an interferometer and servo feedback loop to automate alignment, but the cost is about $1-1.5M USD per machine and is much slower than high speed serial manufacture. I do not think canon is doing this but is instead using very accurate robotic arm based manufacturing to place all pieces in the same position to a very tight tolerance, and spends a long time tuning that position with a skilled operator before initiating production, but this is only my own speculation.

lenses like the Otus have quite average sample variation score because of the complexity.

I think complexity is part of it but also that the manufacturing plays a key roll. If Cosina has 25 employees producing the ZE/ZF line and each employee could build 15 pieces per day - about a whopping two per hour, that's about 100,000 ZE/ZF lenses per year. I do not think Zeiss is selling a volume hugely different than that of these lenses. The idea that the Otus are built by some uber master technicians with 35 years experience is a bit silly. Maybe they are, but there absolutely are not special employees who build the otus lenses and nothing else. Manufacturing and manufacturing line metrology determine the consistency more than the tolerancing does - if the Otus lenses are not built by different people on a different line with different (and better) equipment, they really cannot make them better. I do not believe they are built in a different environment, simply because it is not economical.

I think lensrentals are just pretending to be something they are not.

knowledgeable they are not and their tests are very inconsistent and have many contradictions.

I do wonder why you think this. OLAF has two very intelligent full time employees and this summer had an optics student ( I wonder who that could be ) working for them and actually churning out this data.

There are two big contradictions I can think of - one being imatest vs MTF bench, which is quite silly. Imatest is testing about 10 variables at once (target, lighting, support equipment/environment, alignment, focusing accuracy, camera processing, sensor, lens, sensor stack, raw converter...) while the MTF bench uses many calibrations to isolate the lens. This is not possible with imatest. The other is Roger's old data on the 11-24 vs my newer data - the "old" data method was to align the point of rotation at the front element of the lens, but this is incorrect and the lens should be aligned with its front principal plane (approx. the entrance pupil) at the point of rotation. Otherwise one indices vignetting and the results are not too correct. In teles this matters much less, but in something as wide as the 11-24 there is little margin for alignment error.

The ~1300 samples I measured over the summer had great care to be done as consistently as possible, with concern for the speed of measurement and I must admit I let myself down when I realized when we published the 50mm set that the ZE 50mm MP had "Zeiss" in its title instead of "ZE," which pushed me to increase the automation of the software I made for OLAF to prevent inconsistencies like that. If you mean testing at different F numbers, the only rebuttal I can really offer is that the f/1.4 lenses are designed at f/1.4, and when the pupil coordinates are normalized in the design software, it is done at maximum aperture and not some lowest common denominator.

As a result, any test for the alignment quality must be done at full aperture; as the aperture-dependent aberrations (spherical aberration, coma mostly) are significantly removed by stopping down. Coma is caused by two spherical wavefronts that are not centered on each other; so when you decenter an element that isn't a double plano, flat lens, you cause coma. If you stop down two stops you have removed 75% of the third-order coma, as it is field linear. The higher order coma is less generalize-able.

Here are some papers on alignment aberrations from some of the leaders in freeform optics:

http://www.creol.ucf.edu/research/publications/2011.pdf

http://www.ora-blogs.com/files/thompson_usingnodalaberration_spie_2009-2-1.pdf <- good translation to understand the full-field display in here

http://etd.fcla.edu/CF/CFE0003339/Schmid_Tobias_201008_PhD.pdf <- a past student of Jannick's Ph.D.

Here is a snippet from my own CV covering some of the projects I have worked on in the last year: http://i.imgur.com/9XbM22D.png

Best regards,
Brandon

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

Brandon Dube wrote:
Strictly speaking, all of the MTF/variation stuff is done by Olaf Optical Testing, not LR.

The K8, ImageMaster, LensCheck, and Wells Research MTF benches all measure in the same way with minor differences in the light sources used and targets imaged. The LensCheck supports 6 different targets to calculate MTF from - different sized pinholes and slit targets if one wishes to measure only one orientation with the utmost accuracy. The ImageMaster is limited to a set of perpendicular slits (i.e a cross) because of patents filed by Optikos on videoMTF from a pinhole. The K8 is an "oldschool"
...Show more

Thank you Brandon for the clarifications. This whole Zeiss business of reporting the best Tan+Sat value on their MTF charts is interesting. That would explain why most Zeiss MTF has much better field curvature behavior than Leica. However, under real-world testing, it still holds true but probably not to the extent of what the MTF chart would suggest.

I did mix up between Optikos OLAF and that Imagemaster. I thought whenever you guys publish MTF charts, it would be from the Imagemaster. Anyway, with you going back to school after summer, I guess it would be slow from now on. Have you tested any Leica lens?

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:30 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

I would expect the manufacturers tests to be better, and maybe accurate. Or not. Why do you think?

I guess it's a good thing that people on this forum are naive enough to wonder if and why a manufacturer's claims might be on the high side

Edited on Aug 20, 2015 at 12:50 PM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:48 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

Zeiss MTF are measured at infinity and the performance is very well matching to the MTF in all lenses I've owned, which is probably over 40 lenses. But lens performance changes at closer distances, sometimes to the better but mostly to the worse, especially that Zeiss lenses are normally optimized for infinity. I think Zeiss MTF are very accurate and there is no hocus pocus abracadabra techniques used as implied by Brandon.

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:50 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

As for field curvature of Leica vs Zeiss, that is simply not correct. Since we're generalizing here, Zeiss normally prefers classic designs that produce normal bell shaped field curvature where the lowest performance is in the extreme corners. Leica uses a lot of aspherics to keep size small, and this results in W shaped curvature with the known zone B dip. So it's not true that Leica has more field curvature than Zeiss, they're just in different locations in the frame.

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:55 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

I should probably add, I used to look at the Pop Photo tests a lot, and wondered if the lenses were cherry picked. But I got good lenses reading their tests, so that gives credibility.

Aug 20, 2015 at 01:04 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

Brandon Dube wrote:
Best regards,
Brandon

Brandon, thank you for the informative response. I was not trying to start an argument but was simply curious about the inconsistencies remark....what that was referring to.

Regardless, I appreciate what LR is doing. Not only testing more than one lens (which is valuable in and of itself), but taking some care to provide accurate and consistent results. The more results one generates....inevitably there are inconsistencies. That is simply a fact of life, but at the same time does not invalidate the process itself. We should always look at data critically and challenge the results if warranted. If flaws are found then the source should be addressed and fixed. That does not mean everything is suspect and should be disregarded, which would be an overly emotional response IMO.

I think most of us would agree that methodical measurements etc, are much more credible and useful than many of the unsubstantiated opinions seen every day on internet forums.

Edited on Aug 20, 2015 at 01:28 PM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2015 at 01:11 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

edwardkaraa wrote:
As for field curvature of Leica vs Zeiss, that is simply not correct. Since we're generalizing here, Zeiss normally prefers classic designs that produce normal bell shaped field curvature where the lowest performance is in the extreme corners. Leica uses a lot of aspherics to keep size small, and this results in W shaped curvature with the known zone B dip. So it's not true that Leica has more field curvature than Zeiss, they're just in different locations in the frame.

It's more like 2 Ms connected to each other across the frame, instead of 2 Vs to form a W. Leica have the same drop toward the edges/corners just like Zeiss. Field curvature wise, they have two dips, instead of just one. What they have instead is a higher central contrast in return.

Aug 20, 2015 at 01:24 PM
Brandon Dube
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

This whole Zeiss business of reporting the best Tan+Sat value on their MTF charts is interesting.

Do note that that is only my speculation. That said, I do not really see how it could be something else.

here are the three main cases one sees in the ZE 21mm:

Some build aberrations, but not horrible. I.e alignment is "good" but there is room for improvement. https://www.dropbox.com/s/inj6w0pj46a6r6x/MTF_Rotations.png?dl=0 (~70% of lenses)

HUGE build aberrations, alignment is "bad" and very messy. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qi7yh45znm5uxg/MTF_Rotations.png?dl=0 (~15% of lenses)

Near nominal / just about perfect: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4dx9d9afed9snk/MTF_Rotations.png?dl=0 (~15% of lenses).

If you look at the Full-Field Displays in the papers I linked above you can see that when you disturb an optical system, there are no new aberrations but the previous existing ones are disturbed, and their "centers" or zero points are moved. In my example lens for case 1, some build aberrations, you see a big bump just off axis. This is a really good indicator that the coma field has its minimum point there in the field of view.

Case 3, the nominal case, is as good as they get. I would think the very small, undetectable-on-camera tilt is in the mount bayonet itself and not in the optics.

In an all-spherical system any local extrema or points of inflection in the aberrations will occur at about 7/10 field (mathematically, sqrt(2)) and this is actually exactly what we see in the ZE21's best samples, at about 7/10 (or ~14mm) there is a point of inflection in the tangential and sagittal field curvatures. This is something you don't see in Zeiss' measurements, which at least to me is a big red flag that something in that particular test is not perfectly nominal.

I did mix up between Optikos OLAF and that Imagemaster. I thought whenever you guys publish MTF charts, it would be from the Imagemaster.

All of the charts are made from ImageMaster data, Olaf Optical Testing is also the name of the company. Easy to mix up, I know... I tested about 25 samples of the different leica lenses. Most of them are not owned in large quantity by LR, 1-3 pieces of most of them, which makes it very difficult to find a day where they can be taken for a few hours for testing without disrupting the actual rental business. The most samples of any model I did was the 35/1.4, 5 pieces, seconded by the 24/1.4, 3 pieces.

Zeiss MTF are measured at infinity

This is true of about 98% of all MTF data. Several different benches support finite conjugates (that is, noninfinite distance testing) but it is astronomically more difficult (and time consuming) to set up and run.

and the performance is very well matching to the MTF in all lenses I've owned

Remember that at the nyquist of your sensor, anything over 0.5 looks the same for the finest details, and at 10lp/mm ("contrast") anything over 0.9 is indistinguishable unless you're being excessively pedantic about differences in lenses =) Put another way, the ZE 21 drops from ~0.775 on axis to ~0.45 in the corner at 30lp/mm which is about the true or adjusted nyquist of the 6D,5D3,D750,etc. This is really, really not a difference a camera can detect in the real world.

I've owned, which is probably over 40 lenses.

I tested over 150 copies of Zeiss lenses =)

sometimes to the better but mostly to the worse, especially that Zeiss lenses are normally optimized for infinity.

Every lens is optimized first for infinity, as it is the easiest / cleanest scenario (plano in, spherical out.) Since all/most of the Zeiss lenses have a compensating element as they focus, they must also be designed for closer distances to even support the mechanical design. That is to say, if the rear element is 16mm behind the second rearmost at infinity, and its best position is 2mm behind the second rearmost for MFD, this must be known to design the mechanical cam it will move on.

Since we're generalizing here, Zeiss normally prefers classic designs that produce normal bell shaped field curvature where the lowest performance is in the extreme corners. Leica uses a lot of aspherics to keep size small, and this results in W shaped curvature with the known zone B dip.

In an all-spherical system, as many/most Zeiss lenses are, any extrema or points of inflection are at 7/10 field. This still leaves the distinct possibility for a point of inflection, and in fact the ZE 21 itself has "W" or "moustache" shaped astigmatism. Aspherical lenses allow the point of inflection to move around and be anywhere, or in fact for there to be an infinite number of points of inflection, so in the design stage instead of looking at 3 image heights, 0, 7/10, 10/10, you must use 6-10 (or more) image heights to ensure there is no flare up of terrible performance in a small area of the image.

Aug 20, 2015 at 01:28 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

galenapass wrote:
Interesting. Could you point out some of these inconsistencies and contradictions?

Let's not forget it is a *.com website with commercial interest. I find some of the review information useful there, but take it with some sort of skepticism. The site has certainly tendencies even they are often not clearly outspoken but more indirectly visible. I remember when the A7 series came out, the cameras were instantly tested and "issues" found, for example the light leak deal was brought out big there (later it turned out to me more of an extreme case at very long exposures with a harsh light source hitting the lens mount area). Also the review about the max. pupil size of rangefinder lenses "usable" with the thicker sensor stack on A7/A7R/A7S cameras could be seen in a way of saying that wide angle rangefinder lenses don't work on Sony A7 series cameras which is exaggerated from what you can do in practical terms. On the other hand, there are often "good" examples mentioned with Canon DSLR gear - negative points in test reviews are also mentioned but not seen as such big deal. This might all be simply caused by a personal preference of the author - everybody has preferences, I can see why it will be very difficult to write such reviews fully objectively. There is one good example where I find lens reviews very neutral - it is a non commercial website, Photozone.de. They test lenses which are mostly sent to them for testing from readers and amateurs.

Aug 20, 2015 at 01:45 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

By that one question did I imply that LR test results should be taken as gospel truth? I agree with what you have written above, but I am not sure how the question I asked evoked your response...unless you are mistakenly attaching additional meaning to it. I thought I made that clear in my subsequent post

Aug 20, 2015 at 01:58 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

hiepphotog wrote:
It's more like 2 Ms connected to each other across the frame, instead of 2 Vs to form a W. Leica have the same drop toward the edges/corners just like Zeiss. Field curvature wise, they have two dips, instead of just one. What they have instead is a higher central contrast in return.

Actually many Leica M lenses have excellent corners. Leica designers are smart. They know most people inspect the center then corners. Fewer reviewers look at zone B critically. If you notice, Minolta learned this trick from Leica, and many Minolta lenses showed the same trend (35/1.4 for example).

Aug 20, 2015 at 02:07 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

galenapass wrote:
By that one question did I imply that LR test results should be taken as gospel truth? I agree with what you have written above, but I am not sure how the question I asked evoked your response...unless you are mistakenly attaching additional meaning to it. I thought I made that clear in my subsequent post

Meant it in no negative way - my response is related to the question which you raised to edwardkaraa post which I agree with - I just added a few examples from my POV. My examples were no contradictions or inconsitencies per se, but I hoped to make clear what could be meant by saying it is not fully objective.

Aug 20, 2015 at 02:10 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

OK, gotcha. Thanks for the response.

Aug 20, 2015 at 02:22 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lensrentals's MTF vs. Manufacturers' MTF

I am a fan of the Lens Rental blog. I think it is great that they can test multiple samples of each lens (no one else does that) and I like that they test MTF on a bench which I find much more helpful than Imatest software based testing which tells you so much less. Do they have some biases in their interpretation of the data? No doubt they do. For me, however, the bottom line is they have way more data and have conducted way better tests than other testing sites. I am very appreciative of the effort than Roger and Brandon have put into the tests they report.

Aug 20, 2015 at 03:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.