Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

pacman642
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

I know we've all tried several packs, right know I'm using a F-Stop Guru with the Medium pro ICU, love the pack, especially the harness system. Need more space though, their new line-up looks good. What else are you guys using for your landscape adventures? And what do like about them?

Here's what I'm typically hauling:

D810
D800 w/grip
14-24, just got this and will be adding the Wonderpana free arc kit
24-70
70-200
RRS Nodal Slide
filters, batteries, water bottle, and maybe some gloves or hat. Usually is i need to shed some layers I jus clip it to the pack.

Aug 20, 2015 at 09:34 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

I am a monogamous person, but when it comes to camera packs I am anything but. I have one nighters, long weekend trips and the odd season to year long semi-commitment, but more than any other camera related item I find settling in on a backpack the hardest thing to do.

That said, my F-Stop Loka is the one landscape/outdoor pack I've had the longest. I tried a Guru and found it too small for my full kit and too big for the quick run-n-gun trip.

For the short trip shoot I used to use the F-Stop Kenti (D800E, 24-70, 16-35, 100MP, 70-200, water bottle, light tripod), but am currently using the new Patagonia Snow Drifter 30L, a rear opening semi-snow pack, with an F-Stop Large, Shallow ICU in it. It holds the above listed gear better than the Kenti as well as carrying my larger tripod better (RRS 24L + BH55). But even as I say that I'm trying to track down a Gregory Targhee 32L to see if that works better than the Patagonia.

For a full day outing I still use the Loka. Carries more with the Large ICU, rides pretty well, and has more room for the rest of the trail essentials for a long day. But If I am carrying more, or need more room I have several Deuter, Osprey and Gregory bags that I'll use with an ICU. They may be less convenient, but they carry better, weigh less and have more room.

Still, I come back to certain bags because I have found that the rear entry packs work great out in the field as I can drop my bag and work out of it without getting my back dirty/wet/muddy when I put the pack back on. To that end I tried the Gura Gear Uinta and found it too fiddly (the ICUs are not as flexible as the F-Stop ICUs, the divided rear opening is, frankly, stupid, and for an outdoor pack the way the add either a tripod or water bladder is a kludge at best).

Over time I have tried just about all of the LowePro stuff though not the new Whistler line. But from looking at it online they seem heavy for what you get.

The MindShift Rotation bags are too confining for me, though the new FirstLight bags are intriguing. I use Think Tank bags exclusively for urban/travel use and am impressed, so perhaps these will impress as well, but without the rear opening they will have to be very, very good to make me an owner.

In short, having tried all the contenders, they are all lacking in some way. The new FStop bags look interesting, but perhaps a bit too streamlined (side pockets sound cool, but I'm not sure they work for tripods, etc.). Inevitably, I will pick one up but with my history I'll be out looking for a new fling afterwards. I guess I'm just the Ashley Madison of camera bags.

Peace,

Todd

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:24 AM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

Todd Warnke wrote:
Inevitably, I will pick one up but with my history I'll be out looking for a new fling afterwards. I guess I'm just the Ashley Madison of camera bags.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:01 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

For a few years, my photography friends used to joke that every time they saw me I had a different backpack. That's not a problem anymore because I'm happy with the F-stop Loka. Last month I did a comparison of the Loka with the MindShift Rotation 180 Horizon - maybe this will help your quest: http://www.joereifer.com/words/2015/7/14/photography-backpacks-compared-mindshift-gear-rotation-180-horizon-34l-vs-f-stop-loka

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:10 AM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

Mr Joe wrote:
For a few years, my photography friends used to joke that every time they saw me I had a different backpack. That's not a problem anymore because I'm happy with the F-stop Loka. Last month I did a comparison of the Loka with the MindShift Rotation 180 Horizon - maybe this will help your quest: http://www.joereifer.com/words/2015/7/14/photography-backpacks-compared-mindshift-gear-rotation-180-horizon-34l-vs-f-stop-loka

Thanks for the well thought out comparative review!

Cheers,

Randy (Think Tank Photo / MindShift Gear)

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:29 AM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

I use a mindshift trail - best bag I've ever owned. I also carry a light kit but for a light kit it's hard to beat. I also tried the mindshift 180 - was too big for my needs. If I was carrying big gear I'd probably go with the F-Stop.

Aug 20, 2015 at 01:58 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

pixelrandy wrote:
Thanks for the well thought out comparative review!

Cheers,

Randy (Think Tank Photo / MindShift Gear)

Hey Randy, you guys need to create a travel away like bag with the waist pack of a trail!

Aug 20, 2015 at 02:00 PM
pacman642
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

thanks, almost bought a Loka before, never in stock, same goes for the new Lotus. The Lowepro Whistler AW350 is looking promising though.

Aug 20, 2015 at 02:02 PM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

davewolfs wrote:
Hey Randy, you guys need to create a travel away like bag with the waist pack of a trail!

I'll pass along the suggestion along to the MSG design team. Thanks!

Aug 20, 2015 at 02:05 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

davewolfs wrote:
I use a mindshift trail - best bag I've ever owned. I also carry a light kit but for a light kit it's hard to beat. I also tried the mindshift 180 - was too big for my needs. If I was carrying big gear I'd probably go with the F-Stop.

Was it the Mindshift Professional 180 or the Panorama? I have the Panorama and it fit my D810 kit fine and it's good for the Sony a7 kit that I currently have.

Aug 20, 2015 at 03:32 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

fStop Loka. soon to be replaced by the ajna. i use both large and medium ICUs.

this image shot with the first camera with IBIS and it was made in 2003. in addition it had a multiangle EVF too.

Aug 20, 2015 at 03:37 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

TMaG82 wrote:
Was it the Mindshift Professional 180 or the Panorama? I have the Panorama and it fit my D810 kit fine and it's good for the Sony a7 kit that I currently have.

Panorama. I found the waist pack stupid big. But it would have to be in order to hold a D810. The trails holds the A7 wonderfully and its waist pack is small enough that you can wear it comfortably by itself and be out and about all day.

Another nice feature of the trail is that because it's so small and close to your spine you really don't feel a 1 series tripod when it's attached.

The only bad thing about it is that the tripod loop is a fixed size so can sometimes be too small. They should have made it a clip of some sort. Although maybe they did this intentionally in fear that a clip could break.

Aug 20, 2015 at 06:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

i kind of find mindshift to be a fair disappointment overall. hundreds of examples of packs out there that do certain individual things right and they just can't bring them together.

i can say that to a degree about fStop too but i feel they are closer to the concepts i find acceptable after wearing packs seriously since 1975.

Aug 20, 2015 at 07:22 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

I ended up with a couple of levels of REI backpacks (day pack and a longer-distance one), with different-sized ThinkTank Urban Disguise bags inside them; extremely comfortable for the back, with designed-for-camera-equipment insert. Probably overkill for padding and weight, but back comfort is the primary aim...
Jerry

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

pacman642 wrote:
I know we've all tried several packs, right know I'm using a F-Stop Guru with the Medium pro ICU, love the pack, especially the harness system. Need more space though, their new line-up looks good. What else are you guys using for your landscape adventures? And what do like about them?

Here's what I'm typically hauling:

D810
D800 w/grip
14-24, just got this and will be adding the Wonderpana free arc kit
24-70
70-200
RRS Nodal Slide
filters, batteries, water bottle, and maybe some gloves or hat. Usually is i need to shed some layers I jus clip it to the pack.

what, no tent? that is no adventure

I use either my Baltoro 75 or my REI pinnacle 35, depending on where/how. Both work great!

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:25 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

Dustin Gent wrote:

I use either my Baltoro 75 or my REI pinnacle 35, depending on where/how. Both work great!

Tried on a Baltoro 65 this past week and it was very comfortable. Are you using an ICU in your 75?

Aug 23, 2015 at 02:30 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

I actually use one of the REI canvas lunch pails, as it fits my D600+14-24 attached perfectly. I will then put that in either of my bags.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:42 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

I use the Gura Gear Bataflae 18L bag which can be used with its straps or the straps can be tucked away to make it easier to have the bag in a car and not catch on anything (also good for air travel). I can open one half and leave the other side closed and the gear on that side protected from the elements.

I can put inside all 3 tilt shift lenses, the 14-24mm, 70-200mm, and two camera bodies. Lots of pockets with mesh fronts for putting accessories. I use a wrap for the nodal slide so it does not need a separate compartment.

The Gura Gear bags are a couple of pounds lighter than many other backpacks and the partitions are thick enough for protection inside the case but not overly thick which wastes space - a problem with the majority of backpacks for photo use.

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:51 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Landscape backpacks....What are you using?

davewolfs wrote:
Panorama. I found the waist pack stupid big. But it would have to be in order to hold a D810. The trails holds the A7 wonderfully and its waist pack is small enough that you can wear it comfortably by itself and be out and about all day.

Another nice feature of the trail is that because it's so small and close to your spine you really don't feel a 1 series tripod when it's attached.

The only bad thing about it is that the tripod loop is a fixed size so can sometimes be too small. They should have made
...Show more

I put my a7rII with 24-70 with room left over if I wanted to grip, as well as one lens. Considering getting the Trail but need confirmation that it will fit the a7rII with the 24-70.

Aug 24, 2015 at 01:09 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.