sirimiri wrote:
"You are no doubt attractive, but I am already married."

I LIKE IT !!!

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:42 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Ming Thein's long-term 5DSR review

Ming did not get the 5DsR looking to switch over to Canon from Nikon. He thought he could use a lot of his ZF Zeiss lenses on both with adapter like I am doing right now. But he realized that he needed a few Canon AF zooms to round out his kit and that was adding up to too much gear for his travels and not worth it for him to be dual platform.
I got my 5DsR to replace my aging 1ds3 and plan on keeping my D800E for those times I need extra DR. I have lots of MF zeiss and Leica R glass to use on both platforms as well as some Canon L lenses I kept.
Both are fantastic cameras and have their different strengths and weaknesses. I have a RX1 too which makes it three platforms!
I always enjoy Ming's work and his reviews. His website has been my favorite for quite a few years now.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:15 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Ming Thein's long-term 5DSR review

wayne seltzer wrote:
I always enjoy Ming's work and his reviews. His website has been my favorite for quite a few years now.

Same here. And although he has quite a modernist eye, he's one of only a few reviewers who knows how to make a photograph - or bothers to take the time doing so.

Aug 21, 2015 at 01:34 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Ming Thein's long-term 5DSR review

wayne seltzer wrote:

Same here... his site was pretty much required reading for anyone who bought an early D800/D800E and had to cope with the left-AF issue he first identified (while Nikon cheerleaders like Thom Hogan were insisting it was a figment of people's imagination...). His excellent gear reviews kept me coming back.

Aug 21, 2015 at 07:20 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Ming Thein's long-term 5DSR review

Discovered Ming's website a few months ago. I've been back many times. Enjoy his responses to some of the comments he gets along with his images.

Aug 21, 2015 at 07:48 AM
woos
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Ming Thein's long-term 5DSR review

Great review.

I generally like Ming's site.

He takes appealing well composed pictured which is unusual for a review site.

And as someone else said, he was one of the first to identify the left af point problem the d800 had (mine had it when i was using a d800, but Nikon did a good job of fixing it).

I agree with him on the Canon color being good.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:21 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Ming Thein's long-term 5DSR review

Excellent review. I like his approach and his photographic eye.

Like Wayne, I'm straddling the two systems (mainly), albeit, a couple generations back, with the D800e on one side and the 1Ds3/5D2/60D on the other.

Like Ming had hoped and, Wayne does, I use mostly primes on the Nikon, most of which can be mounted on the Canon as well.

At the moment, Canon use tends to be for handheld about 80% of its time and Nikon tending toward tripod mounted for over half it's shots.

Buying slightly older bodies and careful used lens purchases has allowed me to keep my image quality high, or high enough to meet my general needs.

I very seldom carry both camera systems, and if I do, it is with a limited lens selection, not two full system (I can't carry ONE whole system! ).

I do wish I could afford a new D5sR and D810 -- as a gear fan, I'm very jealous of you guys that have them and some of the newer lenses.

Anyhow, I completely see Ming'a position regarding shooting assignments. I would choose one or the other brand if I needed to haul it all over creation. But my preference would be Canon, since that is where I have the most investment and experience. I could live with the Nikon, but prefer not to.

Both are great systems!

Aug 21, 2015 at 04:46 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Ming Thein's long-term 5DSR review

Gunzorro wrote:
Both are great systems!

Indeed!

Dan

Aug 21, 2015 at 06:22 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Ming Thein's long-term 5DSR review

If MT had more money, he'd be shooting canon.....

his biggest gripe was silly at best. A shooter of his caliber can easily overcome that issue by A. Shooting lower resolution or B. upping shutter speeds.

At one point, he had to do the same coming from the D700 (or whatever camera) to D800. Canon gives you the option of lowering resolution if he were so concerned with technique, and use the high megapixels when there's good light or tripod. It's really not rocket science.

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Ming Thein's long-term 5DSR review

MT had more money

I doubt this is an issue. He is double Otusified already and has more lenses than I have had hot dinners.

Aug 25, 2015 at 03:34 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.