FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

With so many shots from Iceland to process I decided to just concentrate on processing one subject at a time before moving on. This series is of Gullfoss, located in the canyon of Hvítá river in southwest Iceland, for me one of the Top 3 waterfalls in Iceland (and there are hundreds if not thousands)

All shots were taken with a Tamron 15-30/2.8 or Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar, on a D800E. I spent quite a few hours there so there are changes in cloud formation and also shooting into and away from, the sun, so creating some differences in the white balance exacerbated by my mild HDR processing.

Edited on Aug 20, 2015 at 02:43 AM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:44 PM
mitchel674
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

1 and 2 are my favorites here. I like the incorporation of the people in #2 to give the image a sense of scale.

For my taste, the rest suffer from too long a shutterspeed. By smoothing out the water to that extreme, you've lost the power of the falls. Shorter shutterspeeds in the rest would really improve those photos.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:22 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

Hey Kevin,

#1 and 3 are my favorites. #1 has the blue in the sky cranked a bit too high though. I like feeling the power in #2, but parts of it seem soft and OOF. But that's probably due to all the water. Do you have any others similar to #2?

Jim

Aug 20, 2015 at 02:45 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

Oh.. wonderful journey you had, Kevin!
I love all the photos you presented here. Well don!
I went to see some more of your shots you posted in the smugmug.
Most of the photos are great there as well.

Edited on Aug 21, 2015 at 07:46 AM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2015 at 03:06 PM
smmokan16
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

I dig the last two... #4 really shows the true color of the water, and #5 is a perspective on Gulfoss I haven't seen before.

I think they're all pretty great- how'd you manage to visit with so few people around?

Aug 20, 2015 at 05:55 PM
fplstudio
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

1 and 3 are amazing. Nice work, congrats

Aug 21, 2015 at 07:21 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

mitchel674 wrote:
1 and 2 are my favorites here. I like the incorporation of the people in #2 to give the image a sense of scale.

For my taste, the rest suffer from too long a shutterspeed. By smoothing out the water to that extreme, you've lost the power of the falls. Shorter shutterspeeds in the rest would really improve those photos.

Thank you Mitchel ! To an extent I echo your thoughts on the shutter speeds, though I do think the power is obvious in most.
Unfortunately, even after having planned this trip to Iceland & Abu Dhabi for 3 months I still managed to mistakenly take 4 & 16 GNDs instead of the 3 & 6 stop NDs - doh ! This left me with two options, small apertures and as low an ISO as I could ... or the 10 stop. Sometimes I just needed the 3 stop on top of say f11. C'est la vie and a major lesson learned.

Aug 21, 2015 at 08:52 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

JimFox wrote:
Hey Kevin,

#1 and 3 are my favorites. #1 has the blue in the sky cranked a bit too high though. I like feeling the power in #2, but parts of it seem soft and OOF. But that's probably due to all the water. Do you have any others similar to #2?

Jim

Thank you Jim ! I was wondering about that sky - I played around with it for ages, I do like colours to really pop so I guess that's how I got there.
#2 - was tough. The wind created by these huge falls in Iceland can be immense and when it swings your way you get drenched too. However in this case I believe the shot is sharp (people, fence, rocks) but the power of the water and swirling mists have greatly 'softened' the scene. A shorter shutter speed would undoubtedly have helped this shot. Sorry no other frames of this scene - all ditched due to movement of camera/tripod by the wind.

Aug 21, 2015 at 08:57 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Oh.. wonderful journey you had, Kevin!
I love all the photos you presented here. Well don!
I went to see some more of your shots you posted in the smugmug.
Most of the photos are great there as well.

Thank you Kee ! It was simply amazing, I'm quite in love with Iceland now and can't wait to return. And thanks also for taking the time to visit and comment on my SmugMug Iceland folder

I'll put more up once I've processed each site in full. Really appreciate your kind comments !

Aug 21, 2015 at 09:00 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

Frogfish wrote:
Thank you Mitchel ! To an extent I echo your thoughts on the shutter speeds, though I do think the power is obvious in most.
Unfortunately, even after having planned this trip to Iceland & Abu Dhabi for 3 months I still managed to mistakenly take 4 & 16 GNDs instead of the 3 & 6 stop NDs - doh ! This left me with two options, small apertures and as low an ISO as I could ... or the 10 stop. Sometimes I just needed the 3 stop on top of say f11. C'est la vie and a major
...Show more

Thanks for the tip Kevin... After our PM I order Lee Pro glas 3stop and Little stopper ( 6stop ) and I have
the big stopper..
Great Serie..#1 are my favorite her

Ronny //

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:42 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

Fantastic set! especially #2...WOW that waterfall is huge

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:45 PM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

Kevin,
Nice set of images, #3 and 4 for me I like the comps they put you right there. Regards,
Dean

Aug 22, 2015 at 06:16 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

smmokan16 wrote:
I dig the last two... #4 really shows the true color of the water, and #5 is a perspective on Gulfoss I haven't seen before.

I think they're all pretty great- how'd you manage to visit with so few people around?

Thank you very much smmokan16 ! I've removed a few people in post but in early June there aren't as many people around anyway until the high season of July & August.

Aug 23, 2015 at 03:39 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

fplstudio wrote:
1 and 3 are amazing. Nice work, congrats

Thank you FPI - happy to hear you enjoyed my work !

Aug 23, 2015 at 03:40 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks for the tip Kevin... After our PM I order Lee Pro glas 3stop and Little stopper ( 6stop ) and I have
the big stopper..
Great Serie..#1 are my favorite her

Ronny //

Thanks Ronny ! Just to whet your appetite

I'm sure you'll find you use all 3 of those filters and can get the water speed (which varies from sedate to insane) just perfect, which was very tough for me to do with mine at home in the cupboard

Aug 23, 2015 at 03:42 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

The scale of #2 is amazing! Love #2 and #4.

Aug 23, 2015 at 02:06 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

Sunny Sra wrote:
Fantastic set! especially #2...WOW that waterfall is huge

Thank you so much Sunny ! It certainly is, and yet not even in the top 3 by volume in Iceland (Dettifoss -also by volume the largest in Europe). It is the 3rd widest in Iceland though (387m).

Aug 24, 2015 at 09:58 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

DSC01 wrote:
Kevin,
Nice set of images, #3 and 4 for me I like the comps they put you right there. Regards,
Dean

Thank you very much for your comments and picks Dean !

Aug 24, 2015 at 09:59 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gullfoss Waterfall, Iceland - The Series

Mark Metternich wrote:
The scale of #2 is amazing! Love #2 and #4.

Thank you very much Mark - just got to love Iceland's amazing and incredibly numerous waterfalls !

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:01 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.