New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need some advice

dblankenburg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some advice

Haven't been on the board much in the past year or so but I need some advice on whether it's worth upgrading my 1D MK III. I currently have a 1D MK III and a 1Ds MK III and for 95% of the shots I take they're fine. The only limiting factor is the low light capabilities that both have.

I shoot some rodeo and barrel racing photos for my Elks Lodge once or twice a year and the lighting is not optimal during the night events. I use the MK III for the frame rate but find myself at 2000 - 3200 ISO with my 70-200 f2.8 and would still like a little better shutter speed. The noise level in the shots can still be cleaned up pretty well but I still get some "blur" in the bull riding and bareback shots since my shutter speed is limited. The rest of my shooting is mostly birds and other assorted local wildlife and for this the MK III is fine. My current birding lens is a Canon 400mm f/5.6.

The Ds mainly is used for portraits, landscapes and general purpose photography and I plan on keeping that for now.

I can't afford a DX, even used at this point, as I only have around $2500 at most to spend on a body. The 7D mk II seems to have noise issues from the reviews I've read and the 5D MK III is a possibility but the frame rate is slower than the MK III I currently have.

Should I consider a used MK IV? or wait until the DX II possibly comes out next year and pick up a used DX when the price comes down. Or would something else be a better option? I never use video so I'm not concerned with the video capabilities of the newer bodies.

Thanks for your opinions,
Dave

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some advice

Tough call. You're right about the 6 fps of the 5D III. It's pretty anemic for sports, but the low light capabilities, image quality and auto focus is excellent. I've shot a fair amount of rodeo and agree rodeo is really dark with all that dark hide and dirt and poor illumination. A good low light camera is a must.

Who the heck knows when the mythical sparkly unicorn of the 5D IV will appear and what features/price it will hit. I'd probably opt for the 5D III or the 7D II. My two cents.

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some advice

The 1DIV is an excellent camera. It's currently going for a song. It has about one-stop better high ISO peformance than the 1DIII. IOW, you'll get about the same noise at 6400 with the Mk IV as you do at 3200 with the Mk III, and so you can double your shutter speed in the situation that you describe.

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:42 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some advice

When it comes to image quality at lower ISOs, the 5DS/5DSR is the first camera Canon has produced that's appreciably better than the old 1Ds MK III. Unless you make enormous prints you could successfully use the 1DS3 forever and not be missing out on anything anyone would notice. For high ISO work it's a different story and the advances have been pretty significant. The 1DX is the cleanest high ISO camera I have used. I try not to push it over ISO 3200 but it will certainly have better IQ than any of the cameras you mentioned at ISO 3200 and above. I hope that helps!

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some advice

hotdog12 wrote:
Tough call. You're right about the 6 fps of the 5D III. It's pretty anemic for sports, but the low light capabilities, image quality and auto focus is excellent. I've shot a fair amount of rodeo and agree rodeo is really dark with all that dark hide and dirt and poor illumination. A good low light camera is a must.

Who the heck knows when the mythical sparkly unicorn of the 5D IV will appear and what features/price it will hit. I'd probably opt for the 5D III or the 7D II. My two cents.

Actually I find the 5D3 frame rate about right . Yeah I know the more fps the better but sometimes that just leads to a ton more culling of very 'samey' shots . But then I'm not shooting that kind of stuff . If I'm doing sport with my 5D3 its usually fast bikes or cars and its top frame rate is fine to get a good set of shots of a rider or riders thru a corner

And actually the 5D3 gets more like 7fps . I've done a test shooting a stop watch (to prove the SD card doesn't slow the camera down) and if you take the first image (or any other image in that burst ) then the 7th image along is normally exactly 1 second (to the 100th) further on .

Aug 19, 2015 at 02:39 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need some advice

I don't think the Dx will be substantially reduced used when the ver 2 appears. This is assuming that the price of the Dx II is relatively expensive. I'd opt for a 1D IV or a 5D III. I agree with Ian that the 5D III is not that slow at 6fps. The !D IV high ISO performance is quite good with an acceptable noise pattern at higher ISO. I'd pick the 1D IV over the 5D III given your shooting situation.

Aug 19, 2015 at 02:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need some advice

mogud wrote:
...assuming that the price of the Dx II is relatively expensive...

Good assumption.

Aug 19, 2015 at 05:00 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need some advice

I shoot the 1dX;5D3 & 1dIV...I still have one of my 1d3's left too. I find that the 1d4 is still a viable choice in all but the worst light. It's very useable to 6400. With the price on the 1D4's approaching $1100.00, I'd pick one up on the B&S board here. I'm a pro sports shooter and my 1d4 still sees lots of use.

Aug 19, 2015 at 07:15 PM
dblankenburg
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need some advice

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start looking for a Mk IV.

Dave

Aug 19, 2015 at 08:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need some advice

Any time is a good time to buy a Mk IV.

Aug 19, 2015 at 08:23 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need some advice

dblankenburg wrote:
Haven't been on the board much in the past year or so but I need some advice on whether it's worth upgrading my 1D MK III. I currently have a 1D MK III and a 1Ds MK III and for 95% of the shots I take they're fine. The only limiting factor is the low light capabilities that both have.

I shoot some rodeo and barrel racing photos for my Elks Lodge once or twice a year and the lighting is not optimal during the night events. I use the MK III for the frame rate but find myself at 2000
...Show more

Get a 5D3. I use mine a LOT in low light conditions using iso 3200 and 6400. Really nice file and the AF is really good. It is fast enough. You won't regret it.

Aug 19, 2015 at 08:31 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need some advice

Have you tried the 1DS III? I haven't shot any of the 1D series, but the ff I had was better at 3200, as far as noise, than my APS at 800, although I was just looking at one image from the ff camera.

$1K for twice a year seems a bit much, but its fun to buy new gear, too.

Aug 20, 2015 at 02:15 PM
dblankenburg
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need some advice

I love my DS III and my DIII is acceptable but I came into some unplanned cash and figure I'll upgrade while I have the chance. Usually not a luxury I have.

Thanks again for the responses.

Aug 20, 2015 at 08:41 PM
pat.kane
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need some advice

Ralph Thompson wrote:
[...] With the price on the 1D4's approaching $1100.00, I'd pick one up on the B&S board here. I'm a pro sports shooter and my 1d4 still sees lots of use.

I've not seen one sell for that low yet (I'm not doubting you have), but the prices sure have dropped over the last year on this body and it is now a tremendous value.

I'm somewhat regretting selling mine as I miss the extra reach (1.3 crop) for daylight sports when compared to the full frame 1Dx. Another way to look at it is the 1D IV + 300mm lens has better reach than a 1Dx + 400mm lens. I guess I'm just now realizing the 1Dx cost me an extra $5K by effectively turning my 400/2.8 IS II into a 300mm lens.

Aug 20, 2015 at 09:27 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need some advice

There's one on the board now for $1200, although a high mileage one it's there... I saw a couple elsewhere in the "very cheap zone". There are a ton in the $1500 area...

Aug 21, 2015 at 04:14 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need some advice

dblankenburg wrote:
I love my DS III and my DIII is acceptable but I came into some unplanned cash and figure I'll upgrade while I have the chance. Usually not a luxury I have.

Thanks again for the responses.

I use my 1DS3 side by side with my 5D3 on film sets and the 5D3 is much cleaner at iso 3200 and 6400 (the 1DS3 does not have iso 6400 per se but can be pushed and the file is almost unusable even with NR). The 5D3 is just the best overall camera for low light when you factor in both image quality and AF performance in low light.

Aug 22, 2015 at 03:16 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need some advice

Limiting Low Light Capibilities = 6D

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:04 AM
BobMarkey
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need some advice

I appreciate this thread. I am in the same boat. I need to buy either a 1D Mark IV or 7DII this week.

I am a longtime 1-series shooter (1D, 1D Mark IIn and 1D Mark III) and use the bodies mostly for football, basketball and running events, many at night. Servo AF and tracking have to work. I need reliable 6400 (or maybe even higher) ISO. With the Mark III, I seem stuck at 3200.

Which body should I buy? Thanks.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:35 AM
craig_k
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need some advice

sir, get some PCB alien bees (2) 1600 with long throw reflectors and the crsb and cst and 2 regular stands for attaching to something out of ropers reach ...extension cords 100' models...now your need for hi iso performing body is mitigated....the AB's are perfect for this and you'll get a nice "frozen" printable image....I've used this for years with success for the exact same purpose and the lights will find uses other than the arena in the meantime.
the above described 2 will work..(i increased to 4 over time) and for outside arenas w\o any electricity, used 1 light on a stand w\ vml battery....I pivoted the head on the stand right by me in order to get it on the subject as it moved during "ranch rodeos" where they may be anywhere in the arena, adjusting the power slider as well......you're moving as fast as the action in that setup, adjust your mindset accordingly.....true story

Aug 23, 2015 at 09:52 AM
pat.kane
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need some advice

BobMarkey wrote:
I appreciate this thread. I am in the same boat. I need to buy either a 1D Mark IV or 7DII this week.

I am a longtime 1-series shooter (1D, 1D Mark IIn and 1D Mark III) and use the bodies mostly for football, basketball and running events, many at night. Servo AF and tracking have to work. I need reliable 6400 (or maybe even higher) ISO. With the Mark III, I seem stuck at 3200.

Which body should I buy? Thanks.

Bob, did you decide on a body? I'd be interested in hearing what you did and whether you're pleased with the results. Given your familiarity with the 1D series, I'd lean towards the 1D IV. It is a fantastic camera and I enjoyed using it much more than the 1D III. My main reason to upgrade was because of the higher ISO performance and I wasn't disappointed at all.

I've not used a 7D II; however, from what I've seen, high ISO doesn't seem to be its forte. I'm keeping myself open to the possibility of a 7D II in my future because of the anti-flicker capability and the extra reach for daytime field sports. I upgraded to the 1Dx and really miss the extra reach when compared to the 1D IV.

Aug 28, 2015 at 05:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.