Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

rooibos1986

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

Of the hundreds of tests out there for 70-200s - I've not really found a good one that compares focus tracking performance. Any personal experience out there? I'm also curious about focus tracking VRI vs VRII - I've heard everything from there is little AF difference between VRI and VRII to it's like having a new lens.

Aug 19, 2015 at 09:53 AM
falconbach
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

Now that I'm forced to replace my Nikon AF-S 80-200mm I'm very interested in knowing the answer for this question.

As my main photography is both portrait and fast running action of dogs I need a lens which has excellent tracking capability.

As far as I know these are the contenters:

* Nikon 70-200mm vr2
* Nikon 70-200mm vr1
* Nikon 70-200mm f/4
* Sigma 70-200mm (latest version)
* Tamron 70-200mm VC
* Tokina 70-200mm f/4

Am I forgetting anything?

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:44 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

There isn't much difference between the Nikon 70-200's, but the II is a bit faster to AF. The Nikon versions are quite noticeably faster than the Tamron IMO. The Nikon 70-200/4 also has a very quick AF motor in it. Actual tracking performance will depend a lot on the camera body as well - so long as the lens has a quick AF motor in it, the rest is mostly up to the body.

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:23 PM
rooibos1986

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

Thanks very much for this feedback. So the VRI version is substantially better for AF than even the newer Tamron VC version? Would you say the differences VRI to VRII is more in the initial lock, or the tracking of the subject? No differences in focus noise I take it? Sorry for all the questions - and of course, there is no obligation to answer any all - or for that matter, any, of them.

Aug 19, 2015 at 01:18 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

Yes I would say even the VRI is noticeably faster than the Tamron. Exactly how much faster, it's hard to say, but it is apparent IMHO.

From an equipment perspective, the initial focus lock is a combination of the camera body + the speed of the AF motor in the lens. The VRI and VRII will not be the weak link in that equation no matter what body you use. Lock-on and the actual tracking has a lot to do with the camera body.

Focus noise between the VRI and VRII is about the same, I've owned both and never noticed a difference either way. Both are quiet. Not something to concern yourself with I wouldn't think.

That was my experience anyway, there might be some other opinions out there.

Aug 19, 2015 at 02:47 PM
rooibos1986

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

Thank-you for the feedback.

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:10 AM
falconbach
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

Is noticable difference between Nikon 70-200 vrII and Nikon 70-200 f/4 when used to track fast action?

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:15 AM
vkobayas

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

Rooibos1986,

I'll echo what everyone else has said already. I initially bought the Tamron based off of the excellent reviews found all over the internet. I had the lens for almost a year but had to return it three times for focus issues. Specifically the focus motor died. After the third time I decided that I would just bite the bullet and buy the VRII. Although it was about a $1,000 more expensive, to me it was worth it. It focused faster, tracked better, and while the Tamron was sharp, the VRII was sharper. It's been a dream lens and I should have purchased it from the beginning.

Aug 20, 2015 at 03:02 PM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

What body are you using? I have the 70-200 VRI, and it does vignette on an FX sensor, if that is an issue to you. Otherwise it is a stellar performer.

Then again, I've never tried the 70-200 VRII.

Aug 20, 2015 at 05:48 PM
rooibos1986

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

Thank-you everyone. Well, I'd be buying into Nikon system, so body is still up in the air. D7200 most likely. I might be able to swing a full frame, but there would be quite a lot of shooting in DX mode I believe - this will be more for action than anything else.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:18 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

I will say, having never used the Tamron, that my 70-200 VR2 almost never misses. Autofocus is also as silent as they come.

Aug 21, 2015 at 03:10 AM
falconbach
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

Is there a huge difference in AF and tracking between VR1 and VR2 lenses?

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:56 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

No.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM
rooibos1986

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

So I asked Nikon if the focus motors in VRI and VRII were the same. Their response? Not a published specification............. Oh well.

Aug 21, 2015 at 08:06 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How Much Better Is VRII Than Tamron VC For Focus Tracking?

The lens, other than the AF-S aspect, does not affect autofocus performance. That is up to the camera. I can put the same 70-200mm or 80-400mm lens on a D7100, D800e, D810, or D750 cameras I have owned or currently own and get very different autofocus performance. The best at this time I have found to be the D7200 followed closely by the D750.

VR performance may be slightly improved though I found little real world difference between the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR I and VR II lenses. For autofocus performance with moving subjects I turn the VR off as it slows down the autofocus quite a bit. The VR has to adjust the image and complete its mission before the autofocus acquisition begins and then the focus needs to be achieved before the shutter is released. VR is intended to enable slower shutter speeds and with moving subjects I am nearly always at shutter speeds where VR is not needed.

Aug 22, 2015 at 04:02 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.