Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · (Camera System) Peer Pressure in the Professional World?

BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · (Camera System) Peer Pressure in the Professional World?

Just wondering how you alternative system pros deal with customers who only want Canikon shooters. It's not every job listing I see that requires it, but a fair amount. Enough to make me second guess staying with Sony mirrorless, either way. I understand that if you're shooting in a team environment, or if the photos will be processed by someone other than you, using a specific system is the logical approach. But if you're the only shooter and you're processing the photos, what do you tell the customer to get them to take your gear seriously?

I still have my Nikon DX work kit (gripped D7100, 17-55 2.8, 80-200mm 2.8, Tokina 11-16 2.8, SB600s), so it's not too late for me to switch back (might even go D750...). I bought the A6000 initially with the intention of using it as a secondary travel camera, but its features catapulted it to my main camera spot. The lack of fast zooms for E-mount, however, lead me to adapted A-mount lenses, so I'm back where I started (heavy kit). Just picked up an RX100 IV last month, and it's now in the position I originally intended for the A6000 (with no threat of growing oversized ), so switching back to Nikon wouldn't be a terrible loss.

Aug 19, 2015 at 09:15 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · (Camera System) Peer Pressure in the Professional World?

Only ever been asked for a specific format once in my career. Even then the request was just for medium format with 40MP, and no one cared which system.

After that, if I deliver good images at the required resolution, my clients are happy.

Now... in the TV world... ha. They're all about using the latest toy or the fad of the day, without a thought for what is actually the best tool for the trade. And at £10K - £30K for a camera body, this can get a person down...

Surprised you are getting specific requests. Who are the customers? If they are photographers who ask you to 2nd shoot I acn understand as they'll have a specific work flow, but to everyone else you're delivering JPEG or TIFF I assume, so who cares if the image is what they need.

Aug 20, 2015 at 09:08 AM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · (Camera System) Peer Pressure in the Professional World?

Never even heard of this for my (limited) work. The only time something even remotely close was with a commercial photographer wanting someone with a medium format camera for a specific client. I've never even had a client ask about what gear I use..

Aug 21, 2015 at 08:17 AM
Rick_Lewis

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · (Camera System) Peer Pressure in the Professional World?

I had only one question about what gear I was using and it was from a media person with a rather large company. I think because they were from out of town and wanted to make sure I was legit. They also asked about RAW file delivery and TIFF file delivery.

It was so long ago, I can't remember if I got the job:-)

Aug 21, 2015 at 09:36 AM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · (Camera System) Peer Pressure in the Professional World?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
It's not every job listing I see that requires it, but a fair amount. .

I am not sure where you are looking for jobs. Clients call me.
When you have someone who wants to know what gear you are using they are communicating several things.

1. That they don't know anyone in the area that they can confidently call for a job.

2.That by owning Canon or Nikon gear you should be somewhat accomplished (of course I see all sorts of people carrying top end gear that could not shoot their own kids' birthday party). Ironic given that those two brands are probably the most popular Christmas and Birthday presents.

3. They are inexperienced in hiring professional photographers as they are making the assumption that gear is a great filter.They also don't know how to do a simple internet search and interview of possible candidates.

4. They have no idea what professional photography costs.

I occasionally get requests for files of certain pixel dimensions that may determine what gear I might use, but generally they call me because I make the kind of images they want.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:58 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · (Camera System) Peer Pressure in the Professional World?

I've been a pro photographer for over 15yrs and I have never once been asked what camera I use. I would find it very weird if I had

Aug 22, 2015 at 09:52 AM
eyal.ma
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · (Camera System) Peer Pressure in the Professional World?

Many people feel more comfortable if the person they work with has the top of the line equipment.
It is more of a psychological thing, like if he has "pro gear" it means he takes it seriously, regardless of his past work. Especially if the event is extremely important to them. Just that little assurance.

I don't think putting down customers as if asking is a rude and bad thing.
Will you feel comfortable when hiring a gardener, if you knew that all he has is a hammer?
What if you order a taxi ride, and he shows up in a scooter?
Or if you take your car for repair, knowing that the place does not have the right tools for your car?

It might be trivial for professional photographers, but you are not dealing with professional photographers.

Aug 24, 2015 at 06:10 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · (Camera System) Peer Pressure in the Professional World?

pr4photos wrote:
I've been a pro photographer for over 15yrs and I have never once been asked what camera I use. I would find it very weird if I had

Ditto. When I go to a restaurant I don't ask what brand of frying pan the kitchen uses and don't ask if they use gas or electric or wood fired stoves.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Sep 01, 2015 at 03:25 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.