Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

ELSELS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

Hello:

I am curious, how could I check the shutter count on a Canon 7D camera?

Thanks for your time,

Have a nice day...

Ed

~ ~ ~

Aug 18, 2015 at 09:17 PM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

I believe you need to download a 3rd party software program ... Do a google search , then get out your credit card

LuckyT

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:56 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

ShutterCount.app is $2.99 in the Apple App store and works great! For windows, you have to buy it off the owner's website. I don't care what my shutter count is but when I'm selling a camera every schmuck wants to know and so it has paid for itself many times over.

Aug 19, 2015 at 02:22 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

I use EOSCount to check shot count. I've confirmed the accuracy of how this software calculates shutter count and from my experiences, the shutter count from EOSCount is the same as Canon's.

This software will calculate shot count for bodies with DIGIC IV to current which includes the 7D.

Edited on Aug 19, 2015 at 10:05 AM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2015 at 07:43 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

I use the ShutterCount app as mentioned above. However, I have confirmed that it isn't accurate and neither is the built in one on the 1DX which is sort of strange. However, as mogud mentioned the apps seem to report the same as the 1DX so they are working the same as Canon does.

However I compared my 1DX to the internal and Shuttercount in the first month of ownership and both were equally underestimating the exact count I got from looking at my file numbering in LR. Not sure why, seems it would be a simple task especially for the built in one on the 1DX

Aug 19, 2015 at 08:12 AM
ELSELS
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

Thank-You to everyone who has commented / answered the question, regarding the shutter count for
Canon cameras.

It is for the 7D - therefore it sounds as though the EOSCount should be close..?

Thanks again everyone,

Have a nice day...

Ed

~ ~ ~

Aug 19, 2015 at 04:02 PM
JulieAllen

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

I just ran EOSCount on my 60D. It came up with 23,476. My picture file number on the last photo taken is 9,800. Does that make sense?

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:27 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

Doesn't file number get reset after 9999?

ShutterCount works well for me as recently confirmed with canon service in Costa mesa for my 1D4 as well as 7d2.

JulieAllen wrote:
I just ran EOSCount on my 60D. It came up with 23,476. My picture file number on the last photo taken is 9,800. Does that make sense?

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:27 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

Yes, the file numbering resets after 9999. The first image shot will be IMG_0001, and the 10,000th image shot will be IMG_0001. The camera will also pick up file numbering off the memory card, even if that memory card was used in a different camera. So for example if your last file name from your camera was IMG_2000, and you insert a card that was used in a different body who's last image was IMG_4000, the next image in your camera will be IMG_4001. The camera will pick up the numbering from the last image number it took, or the last image number on the card, whichever is higher.

Formatting a card in your camera does not wipe out its file numbering memory. You have to format the card in a computer to do that.

As for shutter count apps, I've found Focal is accurate with my 1DIV (matched the number from Canon service) and my old 7D.

Mark

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:39 AM
JulieAllen

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

Now it makes sense. Of course it resets after 9999 - Dah! Why did I overlook that? I had no idea the camera would pick up the number of the last picture taken from the card! Thanks for all the insights!

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:09 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to check the shutter count, on a Canon 7D?

I'm pretty sure that the older Canon file numbering scheme included a counter that told you how many times the body had rolled over from 9999. Something like IMG001_9999 to IMG002_0001. If you were very careful with your memory card usage (not mixing in cards from other bodies), it was possible to keep track of the number of shutter clicks this way.

Now when the body rolls from 9999 to 0001 in the middle of a shoot, it creates a new folder on the card. When you preview images on the camera screen, they will show file numbers such as 100-9999 and 101-0001, where the first three digits are the folder number. But if you use a card reader to transfer images, you'll see that the actual file names are IMG_9999 or IMG_0001, without the folder number embedded.

Mark

Sep 17, 2015 at 07:50 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.