Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sekonic L-608 and L-358 versus Pocketwizard Plus X - Help!

joel dowling
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sekonic L-608 and L-358 versus Pocketwizard Plus X - Help!

Hello all -

I am trying to sync my list meters with my Plus X receiver / transmitters and am having a hard time - I can't get the Plus X to trigger either of the light meters. I am using the Plus X stock 1/8" to sync cables.

Anyone have any trouble with this? I looked at the Pocketwizard site and found nothing too helpful.

I appreciate all of your help! Thank you!

-Joel

Aug 18, 2015 at 08:33 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sekonic L-608 and L-358 versus Pocketwizard Plus X - Help!

I have the L-358 so I'll use that as a reference. If I understand your first sentence, you are trying to trigger by pushing the Plus X, not the button on the side of the L-358. If that's true, there is your problem. Connect the Plus X (in transmit mode) to the meter with your cable. Test the Plus X pair using the built in test button on the transmitter first to make sure the flash fires. Then make sure your L-358 has the lighting bolt with the "T" next to it selected. Also, I'm not sure if you have the sync cable attached to the Plus X when it's on the camera's hot shoe. That may be an issue. When you're on the hot shoe, the synch cable port may be deactivated. I don't have any Plus X's to try it with so that's just a possibility. Take the transmitter Plus X off the hot shoe and push the button on the L-358. If that doesn't work, you may need to change cables.

Start on page 15 of the L-358 manual -
http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/l-358_english.pdf

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Aug 19, 2015 at 08:29 AM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sekonic L-608 and L-358 versus Pocketwizard Plus X - Help!

story_teller wrote:
I have the L-358 so I'll use that as a reference. If I understand your first sentence, you are trying to trigger by pushing the Plus X, not the button on the side of the L-358. If that's true, there is your problem. Connect the Plus X (in transmit mode) to the meter with your cable. Test the Plus X pair using the built in test button on the transmitter first to make sure the flash fires. Then make sure your L-358 has the lighting bolt with the "T" next to it selected. Also, I'm not sure if you have
...Show more

Your advice - and page 15 of the manual - cleared the issue right up. Admittedly, I haven't used either of these meters in years and totally forgot about confirming that it was in "cord flash mode". I appreciate your help - you're a lifesaver.

I forgot all about using these for measuring light from strobes. Hiding from the studio for fifteen years will do that to you, I guess.

-Joel

Ps - for clarity's sake, I was using a spare Plus X off of the camera (and in the hand) in order to measure light from the various lights around the subject. It's a bit clumsy to carry the meter tethered to the transmitter, but it's what I have to work with.

Aug 19, 2015 at 08:59 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sekonic L-608 and L-358 versus Pocketwizard Plus X - Help!

Glad I could help and welcome back to the studio world!

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:39 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sekonic L-608 and L-358 versus Pocketwizard Plus X - Help!

story_teller wrote:
Glad I could help and welcome back to the studio world!

Thanks - I appreciate your help and time.

-J

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:53 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sekonic L-608 and L-358 versus Pocketwizard Plus X - Help!

Make life easier and get this transmitter for your L-358. http://www.amazon.com/Sekonic-RT-32N-Transmitter-Module-L-358/dp/B001HX44A6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1440012644&sr=8-10&keywords=sekonic+light+meter+l-358

Aug 19, 2015 at 02:31 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sekonic L-608 and L-358 versus Pocketwizard Plus X - Help!

tedwca wrote:
Make life easier and get this transmitter for your L-358. http://www.amazon.com/Sekonic-RT-32N-Transmitter-Module-L-358/dp/B001HX44A6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1440012644&sr=8-10&keywords=sekonic+light+meter+l-358

That looks great - will it work with all Pocketwizards? I know that Google is my friend, but I figured that you may know before I head off into the wild.

Thank you!

Aug 19, 2015 at 02:54 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sekonic L-608 and L-358 versus Pocketwizard Plus X - Help!

Be a bit careful, there are two different versions. Make sure you get the one that is labeled RT-32CTL and not a RT-32N (older model). The "N" model doesn't play nice with the mini TT1 and TTL5 PWs.

The link that tedwca gave you leads to the correct one.

Aug 19, 2015 at 03:59 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sekonic L-608 and L-358 versus Pocketwizard Plus X - Help!

story_teller wrote:
Be a bit careful, there are two different versions. Make sure you get the one that is labeled RT-32CTL and not a RT-32N (older model). The "N" model doesn't play nice with the mini TT1 and TTL5 PWs.

The link that tedwca gave you leads to the correct one.

Hey all -

Thanks for the tip - I am looking into buying one of the 32CTL modules shortly. I appreciate all of your help.

-J

Aug 19, 2015 at 06:21 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.