New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Advice Please - Issue with a lens

IsaacTheGray
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice Please - Issue with a lens

I recently purchased the Nikon 14-24 used from a fellow FMer. It's taken me about a month to realize that I'm getting some spotting in the top left corner of the images I take with this lens. It took me a while to notice because they barely show if the picture is taken with a 1/100 shutter speed or faster. It wasn't until recently that I've been able to take more longer shutter speed shots with it.

Attached is an example. This is a crop of about 1/8th of an image I took over the weekend.

I've obviously cleaned the front and rear elements very carefully and taken multiple images to ensure it's not just dust or something sitting on the outside.

Any suggestions on what I should do? How would you handle this?

increased contrast to highlight spotting

OOC

Aug 18, 2015 at 07:03 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice Please - Issue with a lens

This looks like sensor dust. Try placing another lens on your body and stop it down all the way (largest aperture number). The take a photo of blue sky or white paper. I suspect you will see the same thing.

Morris

Aug 18, 2015 at 07:11 PM
IsaacTheGray
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice Please - Issue with a lens

morris wrote:
This looks like sensor dust. Try placing another lens on your body and stop it down all the way (largest aperture number). The take a photo of blue sky or white paper. I suspect you will see the same thing.

Morris

Thank you Morris. You were absolutely right. I'm so embarrassed / relieved. I should've been able to deduce as much before posting this. One of the first things I did was take pictures with other lenses to see if I saw the same thing but I didn't think about how aperture would affect the presence of the spots.

I've never cleaned a camera sensor before. Is this something easily done or is it worth taking it in and paying someone to do it?

Thank you!

Isaac

Aug 18, 2015 at 07:28 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice Please - Issue with a lens

Cleaning your sensor is very easy to do your self.

The first thing I suggest you do is check your camera's settings and make sure it's set to clean ever time your turn it off and also when you turn it on. This may do the trick though that's a lot of dust and may need more.

If the above does not resolve the spots then try these in order:

The next thing try is a ball blower. Set the camera to lock the mirror up for cleaning. Do not make contact with your sensor and blow on the sensor. It's best if you hold the camera so the sensor faces the floor.

If this doesn't work, then try a sensor brush such as the ones by visible dust. If it is dust this should do it.

The last tool to try is a sensor swab with fluid. This is to clean spots created by water and oil and there are specialty fluids for each type.

I'm a fan of Visible Dust products yet there are plenty of other brands that work. The order I suggest goes from least contact and pressure on the sensor to most and is designed to remove things like hard dust before you apply pressure in the later steps. Lots of reading here:
http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/SensorCleaning.html

Morris

Aug 18, 2015 at 08:10 PM
IsaacTheGray
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice Please - Issue with a lens

Really great info. Thank you so much Morris.

Isaac

Aug 18, 2015 at 08:16 PM
twistys4me
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice Please - Issue with a lens

Are you shooting a D600? if so the blower will not cut it for that many spots. wet clean it! Moose has a clip to show how to clean.

Aug 18, 2015 at 08:22 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice Please - Issue with a lens

I just got my D600 back from Nikon. Free cleaning for life! They cleaned the outside and fine tuned it too. I could get used to this.

Greg

Aug 18, 2015 at 08:51 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice Please - Issue with a lens

Clean your sensor my friend. The Copper Hill method is the one I recommend - takes 2 minutes.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:20 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.