FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Perseids in the East

dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Perseids in the East

I've been wanting to capture a meteor shower radiant for some years now but weather never worked in my favor.

For the landscape photographer purist, please be warned - it's a bit of a Franken-photo. The foreground is a sunset image of my observation field at the Pettigrew State Park campground during the peak. The plan was to wait until dark, and spend a couple hours imaging the radiant. That was until the fog, stray dog, and equipment failures took over. I packed up my gear and pulled out a lawn chair after shining my 2500 lumen light at the dog and scared it off, I suppose. The next night I went out to our local astronomy club observation site to image the radiant again. Not much there for a foreground so I used my image from the night before.
Cosmically speaking, imaging the Perseids the following night is about the same time and place. Heehee. Well at least it's a proof of concept for me until the Geminids. Thanks for looking.

For astronomy buffs, radiant can be seen in the center of the sky. Look for the faint double cluster above the distant house, directly below the Andromeda galaxy, and left of Pleiades.

David

http://davidsphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v172/p1404630115-5.jpg

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:32 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Perseids in the East

Hey David,

That's pretty nice seeing them all spray out like that from 1 point. And while the foreground isn't the Grand Canyon or anything, that one shed in the shot like that conjures up the thoughts of whats in it? How is it relative to the meteors? Is there a super hero lurking in there? So it adds some subtle interest in the shot.

Jim

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:58 AM
byteseller
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Perseids in the East

David

Sorry I wasn't able to join you and shoot this with you. Interestingly enoughI had really clear skies that night, but at 42 degrees south we still had a few notable shooting stars that night -- didn't actually do any time exposures but from the ones I saw the radiant for all of them were below the northern horizon -- as expected :-)

Did get some really nice architectural shots with the Milky Way which I will try and post once the madness is over.

Aug 18, 2015 at 03:15 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Perseids in the East

Me likes..now do the one i have

Aug 18, 2015 at 06:19 PM
byteseller
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Perseids in the East

David

Interesting...looks like there is only one coming from the radiant (above the shed) and about 15 coming from it. I wonder if this pretty much coincides with the ratio (1:15) of normal falls to those from the Perseid "field"?

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:15 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.