Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · Thinking of buying a used 1D MK II N - any advice?

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Thinking of buying a used 1D MK II N - any advice?

ebiggs wrote:
I am nearly 70 and I carry a 1Ds Mk III and a 1D Mk IV. Almost everywhere I go for photo ops. I love them. I have not tried any "house bricks" yet.

There is the 1 series and then there is everything else!

I'm happy for you

It's not that I'm physically not upto it its just that when I found the 7D did all I needed the 'n was a brick in the bag that I didn't need .
I'm sure if I was walking around with a mk4 and Ds3 I would feel differently . I always found the files from the 'n were nothing to write home about . It did produce very good jpegs though

And yes in use a 1 series is a nice object . But nice objects don't make the files any better

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:05 AM
ComicDom1
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Thinking of buying a used 1D MK II N - any advice?

MintMar wrote:
u

I guess you wanted to write "5DS/R" in your last line, right... Otherwise I'm not going to get deep into this lawyerspeak.

I actually typed the correct model, but thanks for asking. Please feel free to get deep into the issue. Why side step speculation now? Do you actually have valid scientific information that confirms your claim in regard to any of the 1D bodies and their sensors, and pixel size? If so produce a link to that information so anyone who might read this post can benefit from it. Please make sure the Canon 1D is the camera in the test if can produce one.

Thanks,
Jason

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:57 PM
RexGig0
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Thinking of buying a used 1D MK II N - any advice?

Congratulations to the OP for going with the 7D Mark II, which is clearly a better choice, today, than the 1D Mark II N. I am in no hurry to get rid of my 1D Mark II N cameras, but having a pair of the 7D Mark II makes them redundant.

On the original topic, however, the original 7D would not necessarily be a better choice than the 1D Mark II N. With at least one of my lenses, at least one of my two 1D Mark II N bodies could AF in lower light than the better of my two original 7D bodies, in one brief non-scientific experiment I conducted one night. (I did not try with my more-finicky-focusing 7D, as it would have needed to be MFA'ed with that lens first.)

Before the 7D Mark II, and the 5D Mark III with a firmware update, the price of admission for AF with an f/8 lens/Extender combination was a 1D- or 1Ds-series body, which was my original reason for buying my first 1D Mark II N, in late 2012, after I already owned my pair of original 7D cameras.

I preferred the 1D Mark II N to the 7D for BIF and similar action shooting. I will concede that I may have been missing some functionality actually available in the 7D, but my 7D cameras had a two-year head start, and the 1D Mark II N proved itself easier for me to use for birds. To be clear, I am meaning the shooting part, itself, not necessarily the final images, and what could be done with the images.

In good light, or with flash, I consider the 1D Mark II N a very capable camera, to this day, limited by its 2005-era sensor.

Aug 19, 2015 at 05:50 PM
Paul B
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Thinking of buying a used 1D MK II N - any advice?

tomhayes wrote:
So here's the update. Both the 1D and 7D for sale locally fell through.

So I ordered a 7d MK II from B&H (with the 18-135mm STM lens, a printer and some glossy paper) for $1649 ($1999 paid, $350 rebate.) You also get Adobe Cloud free for a year. Will be here Friday.

You'll like it. I've got the 1DMkIIn (from years ago) and the 7D. Once I started using the 7D never looked back. Much more ability to crop which is invaluable for birding. With the 7DII you'll get the ability to use f8 so can add a converter and get even more reach. The 7DII is next on my list. An intermediate step before taking the big plunge into the world of superteles....

Aug 19, 2015 at 07:09 PM
MintMar
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Thinking of buying a used 1D MK II N - any advice?

ComicDom1 wrote:
I actually typed the correct model, but thanks for asking. Please feel free to get deep into the issue. Why side step speculation now? Do you actually have valid scientific information that confirms your claim in regard to any of the 1D bodies and their sensors, and pixel size? If so produce a link to that information so anyone who might read this post can benefit from it. Please make sure the Canon 1D is the camera in the test if can produce one.

Thanks,
Jason

Correct model? I said Also, bigger pixels mean the optical weaknesses of the lens will be less pronounced. - why would be people dropping 1DX which has perhaps biggest pixels from the current Canon cameras offering ?

The "scientific" rest: Meh. It doesn't take a rocket sience to understand that if you have a FF sensor with certain resolution, and let's say your lens projects a ~1-pixel wide CA line at the contrast, you will get ~2-pixel wide CA line with the same lens on a FF sensor with quadrupled number of pixels.

Of course, it would go back to ~1-pixel wide if you shrink the resulting image to the resolution of the previous sensor.

Aug 20, 2015 at 02:51 AM
ComicDom1
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Thinking of buying a used 1D MK II N - any advice?

MintMar wrote:
Correct model? I said Also, bigger pixels mean the optical weaknesses of the lens will be less pronounced. - why would be people dropping 1DX which has perhaps biggest pixels from the current Canon cameras offering ?

The "scientific" rest: Meh. It doesn't take a rocket sience to understand that if you have a FF sensor with certain resolution, and let's say your lens projects a ~1-pixel wide CA line at the contrast, you will get ~2-pixel wide CA line with the same lens on a FF sensor with quadrupled number of pixels.

Of course, it would go back to ~1-pixel
...Show more

You are exactly right, it does not take rocket science to see this is your conclusion and not based in a repeatable scientific test that anyone has done 1D series cameras as you attempted to originally assert. The only thing that is a given is that camera manufacturers like Canon want to sell as many cameras as they can, so they are going to release better technology in their higher end camera's that they will slowly trickle down into their lower end camera's. There is also some technology they will reserve for their higher end line (pixel pitch and size) that will make their higher end cameras consistently better. So it's not a surprise that a flagship model even a generation back or two might still be very functional and a significant bargain because of some of the technology it contains along with the build quality.

It certainly does not take a rocket scientist to see and understand what I just posted above. I am go to leave this discussion now because as far as I am concerned you have not produced a valid repeatable scientific test to support your original statement.

Have a great day,

Jason

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM
MintMar
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Thinking of buying a used 1D MK II N - any advice?

ComicDom1 wrote:
You are exactly right, it does not take rocket science to see this is your conclusion and not based in a repeatable scientific test that anyone has done 1D series cameras as you attempted to originally assert. The only thing that is a given is that camera manufacturers like Canon want to sell as many cameras as they can, so they are going to release better technology in their higher end camera's that they will slowly trickle down into their lower end camera's. There is also some technology they will reserve for their higher end line (pixel pitch and size)
...Show more

This needs an adequate response: Enjoy your "camera's"

Aug 21, 2015 at 05:44 AM
CMcG01
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Thinking of buying a used 1D MK II N - any advice?

The Grammar And Spelling Police!* would have a field day here-- my wife would be yelling at both of you

On topic, I serious considered the 1diiN about 8 months ago and went with a later serial # 1d iii at a pretty good price. Live View and better battery were two major considerations for me. I didn't want a aps-c camera as I was upgrading from a 20d that I didn't care for that much. Other than being a brick, its doing great for me (now for the 1d iv to come down more)

*GASP!

Aug 21, 2015 at 06:00 PM
MintMar
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Thinking of buying a used 1D MK II N - any advice?

CMcG01 wrote:
The Grammar And Spelling Police!* would have a field day here-- my wife would be yelling at both of you

I have a diplomatic immunity, I'm not a native speaker :-P

CMcG01 wrote:
On topic, I serious considered the 1diiN about 8 months ago and went with a later serial # 1d iii at a pretty good price. Live View and better battery were two major considerations for me. I didn't want a aps-c camera as I was upgrading from a 20d that I didn't care for that much. Other than being a brick, its doing great for me (now for the 1d iv to come down more)

*GASP!

I also tried 1D3 upgrade from my 1D2N, but unfortunately, that particular body (with high serial 58xxx... - theoretically not suffering from the famous problems) could not hold a candle to the 1D2N AF performance, so I sold it with 25% loss to a guy who didn't care much about the AF as he was using a lot of old glass. Otherwise 1D3 as such was a nice camera. Especially the high precision crosses in the ring of fire would be great if they were working for me.

So I keep saving for 5D3 now.

Aug 24, 2015 at 06:27 AM
CMcG01
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Thinking of buying a used 1D MK II N - any advice?

Yes, you are exempt. GASP has no jurisdiction in Prague.

I use mostly older lenses, too, so I don't really use the 1diii to its fullest. What it has done with my 70-200 and 400 has been mostly very impressive-- I'm the weak link there.

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:16 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.