FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Selling the rejects from the Royal Wedding

Littleguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling the rejects from the Royal Wedding

The article doesn't go into much details but its implied that these were reject prints that didn't make it into the wedding album and the photographer gave it to his assistants. The assistants are now selling the prints as collector items.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/rare-photos-of-diana-princess-of-wales-and-prince-charles-royal-wedding-up-for-auction-10449392.html

If the story is true and these prints really were rejects - I cannot image a photographer telling a client that they got all the "good images" and the rest are rejects then finding out the rejects were given as gifts to people and now are on sale to the highest bidder...I can see more requests from clients wanting to get every image taken at a wedding now...

Aug 17, 2015 at 02:40 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling the rejects from the Royal Wedding

We tell clients that the only images we reject are the ones that are OOF, over/under exposed or obvious duplicates. Pretty much eliminates the "can we see them all?" question. It also makes culling a heck of a lot easier.

Aug 17, 2015 at 05:06 PM
Werne1nm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling the rejects from the Royal Wedding

I never mention anything to my clients about ALL the pictures. I'm along the same lines with Zach. I tell them we only "reject" the OOF and such. When I present my pictures I never say "these are the ones we selected" or anything like that.

but I do present ones that personally I don't like, just incase they find some hidden meaning or liking to them.

My wife also looks over them and adds ones she likes as well.

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:47 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling the rejects from the Royal Wedding

There is a difference between rejects, and images that didn't make it to the album.

I shot a party where I delivered 650 images over a two day shoot, of which only 220 made it into a dual set of albums. I'd hate to think the remaining 430 were regarded as "rejects."

Aug 18, 2015 at 08:19 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling the rejects from the Royal Wedding

The Royal wedding took place on July 29, 1981 - the Kodak DSC - 420 was introduced in 1994 - so I am pretty sure that these were shot on film.

This is where the story is unclear - did the client ever receive prints of these photos or did they only get the album as their final deliverable? Did they buy the negatives as well? Seeing that this was the Royal wedding with very limited access - I would suspect that non-disclosure agreements were signed by the photographer and they purchased all the negatives...so its interesting how these prints were gifted to the assistant and are now being sold.

Aug 18, 2015 at 01:23 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling the rejects from the Royal Wedding

All this was much less on an issue back then (1981?) Prints of outtakes of shoots with celebs especially after death are commonplace from the pre-NDA exclusivity days. This is from 30+ years ago, Charles has remarried and Diana is no longer alive so I don’t think anyone is going to be too bothered about it.

Aug 18, 2015 at 02:42 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.