Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · Second system with Nikon?

MJSfoto1956

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Second system with Nikon?

My normal-to-wide system is Nikon D800 (delivering the best quality from 8mm through 85mm)
My telephoto system is Pentax K-3 (much smaller/lighter than anything available in FX)

Michael

Aug 18, 2015 at 06:55 PM
ajamils
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Second system with Nikon?

MJSfoto1956 wrote:
My normal-to-wide system is Nikon D800 (delivering the best quality from 8mm through 85mm)
My telephoto system is Pentax K-3 (much smaller/lighter than anything available in FX)

Michael

Why not Nikon DX?

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Second system with Nikon?

For a 2nd system I have 4. The Olympus OM-D, Sony RX2, Sony A6000, and the Fuji XT-1. Of those I am in love with the Fuji. It is soooo much fun to shoot and I just love the IQ and features. The others are great as well but I go the Fuji more often.

ajamils
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Second system with Nikon?

rw11 wrote:
and since it costs nearly as much a whole system, you won't have that sinking feeling of "I didn't spend enough money"

Ya, if it wasn't the high cost (RX100 IV), I would have already bought one

Ray S.
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Second system with Nikon?

I've had multiple systems in the past and all it does is create stress as I think about what to take out for each occasion. Now I have a DF based system, a Coolpix A, and a little Canon G7X (competitor to the RX100 with tradeoffs that work better for me). But what I find happens is if I want to go light, I usually just take the Coolpix A because I'm really comfortable shooting at 28mm and both the operations and IQ are soooo good with that camera. I take the G7X from time to time, but there's a MUCH bigger dropoff in quality between the Coolpix A/GR and the G7X/RX100 than there is from the DF to the Coolpix A. When I know I'm gonna be shooting some longer stuff, I'll take the G7X, but it's pretty rare.

-Ray

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:34 AM
ajamils
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Second system with Nikon?

Ray S. wrote:
I've had multiple systems in the past and all it does is create stress as I think about what to take out for each occasion. Now I have a DF based system, a Coolpix A, and a little Canon G7X (competitor to the RX100 with tradeoffs that work better for me). But what I find happens is if I want to go light, I usually just take the Coolpix A because I'm really comfortable shooting at 28mm and both the operations and IQ are soooo good with that camera. I take the G7X from time to time, but there's
...Show more

Ray,
I'm interested in getting more information about why you chose G7X over RX100 III ? I already owned RX100 III before but G7X seems more interesting due to longer zoom and touchscreen.

Aug 19, 2015 at 02:12 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Second system with Nikon?

Nikon is my "second" system, chronologically. I learned to use Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras a the same time, and for budgetary reasons, started with a fortuitously-available bag of Canon kit, with an APS-C Rebel body, that included a nice Tokina macro lens and a once-top-tier 580EX Speedlite, so I built upon that, with better bodies and lenses. I added a Novoflex adapter, and started adding Nikkor lenses my wife and I could share. (Her employer issues Nikon camera bodies.) Gradually, I added Nikon film SLRs, then finally D700 cameras last year, and a D3S this month. My parallel path with Canon has resulted in the pair of 7D Mark II cameras I take to work each night, as APS-C is the norm for crime scene photography. The 7D Mark II is also an excellent birding camera. Cropped-sensor Canons, and FX Nikons, seem to be my new normal; I like lenses from each, too much to settle upon either brand.

I considered the Nikon 1-series, for a smaller-body non-DSLR option. I bought his-and-hers Nikon A cameras, which are excellent DX cameras, mis-named Coolpix, but of course, they are not "system" cameras. I also strongly considered Fuji X.

I have really tried to like the Sony RX100-series cameras, but their ergonomics and menus are just too vexing, for me.

Then, a few months ago, I added a Canon EOS M3, with an EVF, being sold by its first owner, who imported it into the USA. (Canon USA does not yet import the M3.) I then bought the Canon EF-to-M adapter, with which it performs well, using EF lenses. I just received my first M-series Canon lens, a pre-owned 22mm, so I can dispense with the bulk of the adapter, but it is not focusing well. I may have bought someone else's problem. The camera, itself, however, is like-able. I will need to see if I can MFA for this errant lens. It remains to be seen whether I will build upon the EOS M system.

Aug 19, 2015 at 06:12 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Second system with Nikon?

I started out with a D3000 and kit lens and a friend at work gave me an old Nikkor 50mm lens. Then my sister in law let me borrow her Canon 30d for a very long time as it was a third backup body for her. I built on a Canon system and now shoot a 50d as my main camera. The D3000 isn't worth much so I have not been able to sell it and I still use it. I've been debating on adding a couple of lenses for it and having both Nikon and Canon. Seems silly but it might work out best economically for me. I also have a Motorola Droid Turbo smart phone with an amazing camera.

The best camera to capture the shot is the one you have with you.

Aug 19, 2015 at 08:57 PM
MJSfoto1956

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Second system with Nikon?

ajamils wroteWhy not Nikon DX?

Overall (and I say this as a long-time Nikon shooter), the K-3 smokes the D7200. And Nikon (nor anyone else for that matter) offer anything like the unique 60-250mm f/4 (i.e. 90-380mm equivalent) lens -- which is as sharp as the Nikkor 80-400mm but MUCH smaller and lighter which is ideal for travel photography. My two-body system with all my lenses and accessories easily fits in a airline carry-on. I couldn't be happier. At this point even if Nikon were to introduce the D400 I would not switch unless they also offered a DX-specific lens that could match the ergonomics and quality of Pentax DA* 60-250mm f/4.

YMMV

Michael
www.jmichaelsullivan.com

Aug 20, 2015 at 08:03 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Second system with Nikon?

I added the Fuji XT-1 (x1.5 FL) with 5 lenses. Great build and weather sealed. I particularly like the 16 1.4 (=24mm, close focus of 6") and the 56 1.2 (=84mm). I find myself shooting with this kit as often as the Nikon kit. This Saturday I'll use the Fuji for the early shooting and back to the car for the Nikon stuff in the afternoon.

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM
Ray S.
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Second system with Nikon?

ajamils wrote:
Ray,
I'm interested in getting more information about why you chose G7X over RX100 III ? I already owned RX100 III before but G7X seems more interesting due to longer zoom and touchscreen.

Sorry to be so late with the response - I missed this response the other day.

I basically chose the G7X because of the expanded zoom range, the more intuitive (to me) controls, and a negative experience I had with the first version of the RX100. I shoot a lot at the wide end and a fair amount in the portrait range, but not a whole lot in-between. So having a portrait range up around at least 85-100 was important to me with this camera. I'd have loved 24-120mm but the G1X II has such an outdated sensor and I really like processing my stuff and need (or want) a lot of DR, which the G1X II just doesn't have. And it's a bit bigger than I wanted for this type of camera.

I also found the first two versions of the RX100 pretty terrible in terms of control and interface (I own the first one - it became my wife's fully automatic camera pretty quickly). I just found myself having to put together kludge after kludge working with it. I loved the sensor, and was hopeful about it showing up in other cameras down the road, but that was one of the only cameras I've tried in recent years that I actively DIS-liked. I also had a friend who had the III and I didn't really think much of the EVF other than it was cool they managed to squeeze it in there.

I really like that Sony has FINALLY come around by adding minimum shutter control to their auto ISO setup in A mode in the RX100 IV, RX10 II, and A7R II. That's a huge deal to me and they did it better than Canon's weird "rate of change" approach, with it's hard to understand name and it's very limited options. But that wasn't there when I was choosing. But with a dedicated exposure comp dial (although backwards!) and a few other controls that just really work well for me, I really preferred the G7X on a lot of levels. The only Sony I've ever really been able to love so far was the RX1, and it had a few pretty big flaws too, but its image quality was just sooooo sublime!

The biggest downside to the G7X is that the lens is really ambitious and it requires a LOT of digital correction at the wide end, which leads to pretty bad corners. But it's one of those things that only bothers me when I pixel peep and when I pixel peep, the RX100 is better but still doesn't really hold up at all compared to my better gear, so I didn't see that being a defining issue. It's a real difference, but it didn't matter as much to me as some of the other things that favored the Canon.

The touchscreen isn't something I ever use, but a lot of people like it, but that wasn't a factor for me either...

Oh, and the difference in price wasn't small either!

-Ray

Aug 21, 2015 at 01:14 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Second system with Nikon?

Ray,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I've owned RX100 M2 and M3 and I totally agree with you regarding the usage. Even though I liked the output I did not enjoy using the camera, even after adding the stick on grip. I guess that's the result of Sony trying to keep the camera as small as possible.

When G7x came out, I read a lot of review and majority of them mentioned that the lens on Canon is not great and the overall te output is of lower quality than the Sony and because of that I ended up getting RX100 M3 (even though I knew the short comings).

Now that I need a small camera again, I've been looking at the market and it looks like RX100 M3/M4 are the only game in town again due to all the features and IQ. I'm interested in trying out RX100 IV due to the video features but I have a hard time justifying the price of entry.

Ray S. wrote:
Sorry to be so late with the response - I missed this response the other day.

I basically chose the G7X because of the expanded zoom range, the more intuitive (to me) controls, and a negative experience I had with the first version of the RX100. I shoot a lot at the wide end and a fair amount in the portrait range, but not a whole lot in-between. So having a portrait range up around at least 85-100 was important to me with this camera. I'd have loved 24-120mm but the G1X II has such an outdated sensor and
...Show more

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:11 AM
Ray S.
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Second system with Nikon?

ajamils wrote:
When G7x came out, I read a lot of review and majority of them mentioned that the lens on Canon is not great and the overall te output is of lower quality than the Sony and because of that I ended up getting RX100 M3 (even though I knew the short comings).

Well, it's a matter of degree. The RX100 III / IV lens also requires a good deal of digital correction, just less than the Canon. I'd say the Canon output is every bit as good as the Sony from about 35-70 and only really suffers notably at 24-28mm. And the Canon is obviously much much MUCH better from 70-100 because the Sony doesn't have it to begin with. And again, I don't see the differences even at the wide end unless I pixel peep, which one arguably shouldn't be doing with cameras like this in the first place! And when I do pixel peep, the Sony isn't good enough EITHER. But it is better than the Canon at the wide end, no question.

So I wouldn't agree that the "overall" output from the Canon is of lower quality than the Sony - only at a very narrow slice of the focal range. The rest is as good or better. And the Canon only really becomes any sort of issue for wide angle landscapes - for street and urban shooting at the wide end, I find the results really good.

They're both fine little cameras, but there are tradeoffs with little cameras and the tradeoffs between the RX100 III / IV and the G7X are a bit different yet.

-Ray

Aug 23, 2015 at 06:19 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.