Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2015 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

15Bit wrote:
That pretty much sums up my feelings too - since Win7 most of the feature upgrades have been aesthetic rather than functional, which doesn't really drive me to upgrade. One of my computer savvy friends has Win10 though, and likes it.

To me the sole point of an operating system is to run programs without falling over, I couldn't care less about anything else like interfaces or pretty buttons

Windows 7 runs the programs I use (Lightroom, PS, Word etc) and doesn't fall over (as far as I can recall, ever) . I see no reason whatsoever to change.

Aug 22, 2015 at 03:38 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

anscochrome wrote:
Continuous updates replaces the service pack system.

OK, fine, I misspoke. I will wait until sufficient evidence exits that major issues* (at least the ones which may affect me) have been addressed. Then, if I am able to selectively download updates, cumulative updates and roll ups, I may upgrade to Win10. If not, then screw it.

*Windows 10: The Spy Edition

On second thought, definitely screw it.

Microsoft has no plans to tell us what’s in Windows patches

Aug 22, 2015 at 05:51 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

WTF happened to the Control Panel?

EBH

Aug 22, 2015 at 01:42 PM
Chumma
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

Control Panel is still there. Click on All App, select Windows System, and you will see it underneath.

Aug 22, 2015 at 03:26 PM
Snead
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

I'm not sure how to vote. I loaded Windows 10 on to three computers but removed it from two of them. I found two of the programs that I always use were not compatible with the new OS.

I'm tired of having to replace perfectly good software just because they don't fit into Microsoft's new operating system. I went back to Windows 7 (Pro and Home). They still work just fine for me. I did decide to replace one system SSD with a new larger one and did a clean Win7 install. I did keep Windows 10 on my Lenovo W540 as they had the Windows 7 Pro setup loaded with their very poor apps. I do like the idea of having a Windows 7 like starting page but I can live without the App's icons.

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:19 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

Win 7 does all I need it to do. If a Lightroom upgrade requires Win 10 to work, then I might consider it. To upgrade just because it's the new shiny thing is not a motivator for me. I have to see a real difference and from what little I've seen, it's more glitz than substance.

Aug 23, 2015 at 04:32 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

As I understand it the upgrade to Windows 10 is free through June 27, 2016, so I'll be trying it out sometime shortly before then. Before I try it I'll make a good backup (i.e.; system image that can be restored with a boot disk) so everything can be restored exactly as it was if something doesn't work.

One issue is a known problem with NEC Spectraview II software (on some but not all Win 10 systems) that could either be a Spectraview issue or a video card driver issue. Hopefully that will be resolved before June 2016. If not, Windows 7 will be supported with security updates through January 14, 2020. I'll need a new system before then anyway. Other software may require an upgrade before then, but it's unlikely anyone will release software that's not compatible with such a popular OS that is currently (until 2020) supported by Microsoft.

Aug 23, 2015 at 06:04 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

mogud wrote:
Win 7 does all I need it to do. If a Lightroom upgrade requires Win 10 to work, then I might consider it. To upgrade just because it's the new shiny thing is not a motivator for me. I have to see a real difference and from what little I've seen, it's more glitz than substance.

+1

Found a few reviews on performance (no links atm) between Win 7, Win 8, Win 10 ... technically better performance on paper, but only by (imo) a negligible amount.

If someone would come along and show that LR / PS has been rewritten to harness multi-core such that it is a powerful improvement when used with Win 10, then I might take another peak. But for now, I just have to keep closing that stupid pop-up everyday prompting me to upgrade to Win 10 (if someone knows how to make that stop ... ).

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:07 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

RustyBug wrote:
+1

Found a few reviews on performance (no links atm) between Win 7, Win 8, Win 10 ... technically better performance on paper, but only by (imo) a negligible amount.

If someone would come along and show that LR / PS has been rewritten to harness multi-core such that it is a powerful improvement when used with Win 10, then I might take another peak. But for now, I just have to keep closing that stupid pop-up everyday prompting me to upgrade to Win 10 (if someone knows how to make that stop ... ).

I agree about the pop-up....please enough already. Seriuosly, Win 7 will get security updates for quite sometime and I have no urgent plans to upgrade my desktop. Win 10 needs to settle and software upgrades done before I look at any upgrade. I know it sounds like I'm taking the dinosaur route but all my stuff works great from wifi, iPad/iPhones to all my software. I don't need to mess with it if there's modest performance increases and no software I use is forcing me to u/g. I'll just leave the shiny new penny on the ground for now so to speak.

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:21 AM
sinizter

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

Only use Windows at work, and definitely will not be upgrading.

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

I upgraded because I could not imagine it would be worse than Windows 8.1. It isn't... it is quite a bit better in fact. Not thrilled about the mandatory updates, but there do appear to be certain driver fixes that have resolved lingering issues with my WiFi hardware. Also, the system feels much faster, and search is the best-implemented I have ever seen... MS has finally caught up with MacOS in this respect.

Aug 28, 2015 at 03:55 AM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

Does Windows 10 work with the ordering software on Bayphoto and ProDPI, Roes?

Sep 01, 2015 at 09:07 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

I just have to keep closing that stupid pop-up everyday prompting me to upgrade to Win 10 (if someone knows how to make that stop ... ).

Here's a good site listing the various ways to remove the taskbar icon pop-up:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get-windows-10-app-and-its-icon-from-taskbar/

There are a few programs floating around that remove this automatically but I can't find them right now.

Sep 01, 2015 at 11:01 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

agelessphotog wrote:
Does Windows 10 work with the ordering software on Bayphoto and ProDPI, Roes?

I don't know for sure, but I would assume so if you're willing to install Java. I personally am not interested in opening my computer to another potential malware vector and so I no longer do business with labs that require Roes.

Sep 01, 2015 at 04:47 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

I have 3 computers. 1 XP, 1 Win7 and 1 upgraded from 7 to 10. My main fully loaded software computer uses Win7. In watching all the "cons" about bugs involved with upgrading in certain programs..I will wait on that 1. My XP I will leave on XP. Although many websites will not allow me access using XP. I love Outlook Express hate Outlook. Now the 1 I did convert had only 2 minor addtl software programs on it so I thought I would try the upgrade. It went fine BUT very invasive!!!! Hate all the crap that pops up and hard to remove.
So users choice....Firefox is just as bad, if not worse.
Dan

Sep 04, 2015 at 04:45 PM
kemo681
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

As a lot of people said, there are some privacy issues with Windows 10. Yes, I did the upgrade and have a audio conflict.

Below is an interesting video on making Windows 10 private.......

https://youtu.be/rczgCmoNSSE

Mike

Sep 09, 2015 at 07:46 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to PCs, even if you don’t “reserve” a copy.

All your base are belong to us...

Sep 12, 2015 at 07:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

It's just despicable. I have auto updates off on all systems, but many people don't.

EBH

Sep 12, 2015 at 09:01 PM
kemo681
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

Boy, I sure did upgrade........

but after three weeks of trying to run down issues and long delays if I leave the machine on for an hour or so, I am seriously thinking of rolling back to 7.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:33 PM
Chumma
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Are you going to upgrade to Win 10?

If you have a Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet network card and if you are connected through a wired network, the connection will drop after a couple of minutes and you have to reboot to restore the connection, which will again drop after a couple of minutes making it useless. It happened on one of my machines and I'm using a wireless connection now. Apparently many people with the same card has the same problem and there seems to be no solution.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:48 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.