New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Help configure new Retina iMac

contaxzeiss

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help configure new Retina iMac

Last thing I'm weighing is size of internal SSD. Getting OWC Thunderbolt 2 RAID 5 external HD. Would it be better to have photo and video files on the ext HD? If so, I can get away with 256G int SSD. thanks

Aug 16, 2015 at 02:56 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help configure new Retina iMac

Size really depends on how you are going to use it over the next 5 years. Programs likely to add, increase in data from existing programs, etc... Unless you are a major DIY person, upgrading it later is involved. Of course you can have it done for you. Personally, I'm from the camp that would rather make sure what I get will serve my needs for some time into the future vs just what I need for today.
I'd suggest either the 1 Tb fusion (same price as the 256Gb flash) or the 512 Gb flash. JMTC

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:19 AM
contaxzeiss

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help configure new Retina iMac

Thanks. Good advice. It could be a rumor, but some say that the 512 is faster than the 256 based on different manufacturers/specs.

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:36 AM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help configure new Retina iMac

The rumor sites say the iMac will be updated in Sept 2015. You might want to hold off buying until after the next Apple announcement.

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:44 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help configure new Retina iMac

Ektar25 wrote:
The rumor sites say the iMac will be updated in Sept 2015. You might want to hold off buying until after the next Apple announcement.

yeah I think the iMac may get a minor refresh . thing is its not that far away so its probably best to wait (unless you really need it now .

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:02 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help configure new Retina iMac

contaxzeiss wrote:
Last thing I'm weighing is size of internal SSD. Getting OWC Thunderbolt 2 RAID 5 external HD. Would it be better to have photo and video files on the ext HD? If so, I can get away with 256G int SSD. thanks

keep all your image files and video on externals . T-Bolt is fast so you won't be wanting . heck a single USB3 drive is fast enough most of the time .

keep the stuff that really needs to be accessed fast on the SSD . thats applications etc . if your using LR you need to have the Cat file and the preview files in the same location . most of the time the internal drive is best (SSD even better) but I doubt you'd have any worries if that was on the T-bolt drive as well

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help configure new Retina iMac

contaxzeiss wrote:
Thanks. Good advice. It could be a rumor, but some say that the 512 is faster than the 256 based on different manufacturers/specs.

even if it is I doubt you'd notice .
I ran the Black Magic app on my 256gig SSD on my 2013 macbook air and the speed dial was all the way round on both read and write .

as for getting the fusion (as suggested above) . I have the fusion in my 2012 iMac and at the time it was cheaper than getting a 256 SSD . fusion is very good but not such good value now . you still get the 120gig SSD and 1TB hard drive but now its the same price as the 256 SSD .

I would go with the 256

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:10 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help configure new Retina iMac

My situation exactly. I went with the 512GB flash HD, 4.0 GHz Quad i7, M295X video card and 8 GB Ram.

I bought the OWC Thunderbay 4 rather than the RAID model, I do my own backup via CCC so future drive replacement doesn't become an issue. Also bought 16GB of Ram from OWC to total out with 24 GB.

All apps, scratch and OS files are on the SSD. My iTunes library is on the external drives in the Thunderbay 4 along with all of my data files. After 9 months, the SSD is 17% full so a 256 would be @ 34%, YMMV.

Aug 17, 2015 at 04:05 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.