New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Travel Kit Questions

castlekeeper01
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel Kit Questions

I posted a follow up report after this trip - see my final entry on this thread. Thanks to all the wonderful FM folks who make this site my photography home. David

Hello Friends,

I'll be taking my first trip to England and Scotland this winter. I'm flying into Heathrow over the Christmas holidays, touring London for 2-3 days. Then by rail to Edinburgh for 4-5 days. 3 additional random days by car for countryside, sea shores, and Scotch distilleries.

Having a Dickens of a time trying to be efficient yet fully prepared. Looking for kit recommendations.

My current gear includes: 6D; 70D; 16-35 f/4 IS; 24-105; 35 1.4; 100 Macro IS; 70-300L; 600 RT Flash; Benro travel tripod (19", 2.5 lbs).

I'm willing to carry the Benro in my suitcase - I'll throw it over my shoulder when necessary. I'd like to carry the rest of the kit in a Think Tank Retrospective 10 or 20, depending on your recommendations. From the sounds of the reviews, the 20 is almost too large to be easily accessed in crowds. I'm not sure the 10 will hold a sensible selections of gear.

Most of the time I expect to use the 16-35 f/4 and the 6D. My dithers are:

How many lenses total? If 3, which? If 2, which? Is 4 too many?

I listed the 70D because it has a built in flash. Is the 1.6x versus FF trade off worth it to take a 3rd/4th lens? Take both bodies, no extra flash? Use the 70D with 24-105/70-300 for length, 6D with 16-35 or 35 1.4?

For those of you who've been/are there, would I be better off with a 70-300 or the 24-105?

Your thoughts and experiences are welcomed in advance.

Edited on Jan 12, 2016 at 04:12 PM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel Kit Questions

I would just take the two cameras and the 16-35 and 24-105 and tripod. That will cover street as well as landscape / countryside shooting. The 6d is great at high ISO and then IS in the lens along with high ISO should cover your low light scenes. I think the 70-300 and the 35L would be fringe lenses not worth the extra weight and bulk during your travels.

But hey, that's just me...you might have other needs.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:28 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel Kit Questions

My 3 lens travel kit consists of the 16-35 f2.8, 24-105L and 70-300L with a 5D3. It's been very versatile. I take just as many tele landscapes as wide, so I almost never leave home without the long zoom. Your style and vision might be different and if two lenses do it for you then I'd take the 16-35 and the 24-105.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel Kit Questions

I would take the 6D with 16-35 and 24-105 and you'll be set. Otherwise if you want a 3 lens setup add the 70-300L

Aug 15, 2015 at 01:01 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel Kit Questions

This is a tough question, and it depends a lot on how much stuff you are willing to haul, what kinds of photography you'll do, and what subjects interest you.

If I were starting with the gear you listed, my core kit would include the 6D, the 24-105, and the 16-35. Since I like using long lenses for some subjects, I'd be tempted to carry the 70-300, too. I probably would not carry two bodies — though I'll qualify this below — nor would I carry two large primes, despite their larger apertures. I probably would put a very minimal tripod in my luggage, though I'd let my usual tripod preferences go.

A few more thoughts:

If you carry the 16-35 and the 70-300, you might consider replacing the 24-105 with a small, large aperture prime like the EOS 50mm f/1.4. That would "fill the gap" between 35mm and 70mm and it would give you a single large aperture prime. It wouldn't cost much to get one of these, and you could even sell it after you return. (Unfortunately, your existing 35mm f/1.4 prime doesn't fill that gap and it is pretty big and heavy.)

I've carried a tripod on trips sort of like this one, including into areas that had some landscape prospects — but once I got there I was much less inclined to use a tripod than I might be in different circumstances. For this reason I tend to carry a very small and relatively flimsy tripod (also a Benro model, by the way) that is barely adequate in those rare situations where I might want one.

You have to decide for yourself how much you want to be loaded down with gear. For this kind of travel I prefer to go rather light — but you may feel differently. Last time I was "over there" it was for three weeks in London, Germany, and Austria, and I was very happy to be able to travel with only carry-on luggage — a decent travel backpack (from Osprey) plus a small messenger bag from Timbuktu.

Even if you don't mind checking bags and schlepping them between airport and lodging, you may (or may not) feel like I do about what I carry when out and about. I don't want to carry a lot of bulky and heavy gear — I want it all to fit in a very small and relatively light bag, probably because I like to get out and walk a lot in these places. (Throwing a very tiny minimalist backpack into your luggage can be useful — I have a little one from REI that only weighs about a pound, but which was just enough for some hiking in the Bavarian Alps.)

Finally, a radical thought. My usual photography involves large and heavy equipment — big DSLR, typically four large L zooms, a very big tripod and heavy head, and more. I now go in a completely different direction for travel. I use a small mirrorless system with a small set or tiny AF primes and a single telephoto zoom. The entire system — camera, lenses, batteries, etc — fits inside my carryon small messenger bag. (The system I use has a 1.5x cropped sensor...)

Dan

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/HumanWorld/Cities/UnitedKingdom/PrioryChurchStBartholomewTheGreatMain20130706.jpg

Priory Church of St. Bartholomew the Great, London, England
(Fujifilm XE1 with 14mm f/2.8 lens, handheld)

Edited on Aug 16, 2015 at 09:50 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2015 at 01:01 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel Kit Questions

Its a tough call, and I am in the same boat, except I am travelling to maui instead.
unless you want to shoot video, the 70d provides very little advantage in your case. you dont own any efs lenses. if you did own an 18-135 stm for example, and 10-18 stm, you may consider taking that 2 lens combo over the canon 5d3, 16-35 f4 IS, and 24-105. the 70D combo would give you more range, and weight a fair bit less, for a slight penalty in image quality

as it stands now, the 6d, and 16-35 and 24-105 seems like the most logical choice.

Aug 15, 2015 at 02:59 PM
Parkertinsley
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel Kit Questions

I went to Paris and London and put an incredible amount of time into researching what to bring. I took my Canon 6d, 16-35 f/4L IS, sigma 35 f/1.4 art, and a canon 85 1.8. Honestly, I will probably only bring the 35 on my next trip because I rarely needed anything else. I Loved the perspective with the 35 and felt that a larger max f-stop was more practical than a zoom lens. I used the UWA for the occasional wide angle landscape and the 85 occasionally for a bit of a tighter crop. MY division broke up roughly to 70% with the 35mm, 25% with the 16-35, and 5% with the 85mm. I never really felt the desire for a flash, or a macro lens. I left my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II at home and I didn't miss it.

Aug 15, 2015 at 06:03 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel Kit Questions

I have this problem over and over, and this time I will go to backpacking trip and really don't want to bring 2.8 lenses>>> let me ask here one question>>> if someone ever has a problem to carry heavy tripod head in a hand luggage ?
BTW I always want to cover like 16 - 200 mm on full frame.

Aug 15, 2015 at 06:24 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel Kit Questions

I'm with Chez, but I'd seriously consider dropping the 16-35...in the end I'd probably bring it though .

24-105 + set of filters (grad ND, polarizer etc.) can make a lot of excellent images on and off a tripod. Every time I consider not bringing the 24-105mm (I've done this at least 3 times), it ends up being the only lens I would have needed.

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:24 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Travel Kit Questions

PIOK wrote:
I have this problem over and over, and this time I will go to backpacking trip and really don't want to bring 2.8 lenses>>> let me ask here one question>>> if someone ever has a problem to carry heavy tripod head in a hand luggage ?

I've done that a bunch of times when I wanted to carry my moderate sized Gitzo, which also serves as my backpacking tripod. The tripod and head won't fit in the luggage bag I use, but the tripod without the head will — there was room in my smaller carryon so I figured that it would be safe there.

No problems.

Dan

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:40 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Travel Kit Questions

holy trinity: 16-35, 24-70, 70-300 better to have it & not use it, than to not have it & wish you had.

Edited on Aug 16, 2015 at 10:26 PM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:08 AM
brian500au
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Travel Kit Questions

I have done a bunch of travel throughout Europe in the last couple or years. When in London you are going to be spending a bit of time on the London tube - and it is very crowded. You really do want a small camera pack that will not be in the way.

For my own personal use (and this comes with experience), I pack a 16-35, 24,70 and a 70-300 and it covers 99% of anything I am likely to meet. I pack a 6D and it all fits in a Lowepro 220AW sling bag. The bag is very easy to bring around the front the change the lens etc. I also throw a CF manfrotto 190 in my check in, but I really don't use it much. The last thing I do carry is a Black Rapid strap for the times I just take out the camera and one lens.

There is no reason to carry a second body in Europe / UK - if something happens there are camera stores everywhere. The chance of something going wrong with your gear is very low.

Another alternative is to get a Canon 100D / SL1 with a kit lens. This is my wife's set up and at the end of the day when I am struggling to carry my load she is still photographing without any effort.

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:11 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Travel Kit Questions

brian500au wrote:
There is no reason to carry a second body in Europe / UK - if something happens there are camera stores everywhere. The chance of something going wrong with your gear is very low.

Another alternative is to get a Canon 100D / SL1 with a kit lens. This is my wife's set up and at the end of the day when I am struggling to carry my load she is still photographing without any effort.

Good post, by the way.

Your first point about carrying extra bodies is how I look at this sort of travel photography. In many other situations where I may be in the field and far away from camera shops and the internet, I do carry a backup camera. But I don't in places like this since I could buy/rent something to carry me through in the event of a catastrophe.

(In Europe and other urbanized areas it is reasonable to consider using a smartphone camera as a short term emergency tool until you can get to a camera or other store — unless you are on assignment and must be up and running on schedule at all costs. You could also add a small informal P&S of decent quality. Each person will have to sort this one out individually. For some the weight/bulk savings might make the risk worthwhile — for others, not so much. I can see both sides.)

The SL1 is also a good option for folks who want to minimize the size/bulk of a Canon kit. The 1.6x crop sensor body can produce really excellent image quality, and the crop factor may allow you to use somewhat smaller lenses than you might need to cover the same angle of view range with full frame.

My experience is similar to what you describe regarding the tube, and there are other good reasons to minimize the bulk and weight of your gear, at least for most of us. I've come to find that I spend a ton of time on foot when traveling in such places, that I'd rather carry smaller and lighter gear, and that I can still produce excellent images* from such equipment.

Dan

* The cropped sensor camera system I use for most travel let's me make excellent 18" x 24" prints using my preferred 4:3 crop ratio, and 20" x 30" prints in the native 3:2 ratio look great.

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/HumanWorld/Cities/Europe/Germany/HeidelbergHaupstrasse20130712.jpg
(Heidelberg Altstadt)

Edited on Aug 16, 2015 at 10:11 AM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:49 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Travel Kit Questions

R.H. Johnson wrote:
holy trinity: 16-35, 24-70, 70-300 better to have it & not use it, than to have it & wish you had.

As long as carrying it all does not become a pain...to the point you get too tired to think about photography.

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:54 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Travel Kit Questions

As far as carrying a spare while traveling, I used to never carry one...but now my travel kit revolves around a couple of Sony bodies ( A7R and A6000 ) and Canon lenses. The weight and size of the A6000 is really negligible and it does provide a nice backup camera that can use all my lenses. As a bonus, when I go out for dinner, I can put a lens like a small Zuiko 24mm and have a very small camera that won't get in the way of dinner or drinks.

My 5d2 stopped working during an outing into the Columbia Gorge due to some mist which left me useless for the remaining day as I had no spare. I'd recommend getting some small camera that you can still use as a spare if need be or carry with you when you don't want to bring along a full DSLR system.

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:01 AM
ian watstein
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Travel Kit Questions

Had similar issues when I did New Zealand and Australia last year. For me, it was a 24-70, 50, 70-200 2.8 IS on a 6D, and a 2x converter; brought an aluminum tripod with a ball head and pan head, and a single external flash. I knew the weight would be an issue after a while (and it was) but I didn't want to risk missing anything. At the end of the trip I think I took 95% of my shots on the 24-70, with most at 50mm (I like doing photo stitched panos w/o distortion).
While I probably could have gotten away with just the 50, or at least the 24-70, I don't regret having the option of telephoto length, because even though I didn't use it, I would have regretted it to no end had I needed it and not had it.
It all comes down to weight: I would bring the ultra wide, 24-105, and the 70-300 with the 6D. The crop sensor isn't going to give you enough reach on the 105 (becomes ~170) to make it worth swapping out for the 70-300, and unless you are worried about a backup leave it at home. With the tripod and the crazy ISO the 6d can do, the faster fixed lenses are less likely to be used, and unlikely to be worth the weight.
Let us know what you decide and what ever you go with, enjoy the trip.

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:48 PM
castlekeeper01
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Travel Kit Questions

Thank you for the thoughtful replies - good points made by everyone. Based on your comments I've learned:

The least essential pieces of my overall kit for this trip include a second DSLR, the flash (that was a surprise!), and the L primes - mostly for size & weight. 2 or 3 lenses should suffice. Very helpful, indeed.

I took my kit to a local camera store (so few left!). The Think Tank Retrospective 10 will hold the 6D and 3 lenses if one is mounted, even the 16-35, 24-105, and 70-300. Hard to imagine leaving the 24-105 home. But - I'm rethinking that. I'm going to heed Dan Mitchell's advice to get a 50 1.4. I plan to take it with the 16-35 and 70-300 on a couple of local shoots - both urban and countryside, and see what happens. That would be a big change for me.

I will also pack a compact Powershot S-95 as a discreet option and backup - easily fits in a pocket.

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful comments. Left to my own instincts I would likely once again try to compensate for my lack of experience by over-packing and hauling entirely too much gear. I'm working on that. Your insights have made a difference.

Aug 16, 2015 at 06:51 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Travel Kit Questions

Buy a good photography daypack that you can fit under the seat. I use a Lowepro Flipside 300. Put in whatever fits. I take my 6D, 24-105, 70-200, 50 f/1.4, 14 f/2.8 and a flash. Accessories including polarizers and a TC all fit. If I can, I put a travel tripod in a suitcase. The backpack really holds a lot of stuff and you can keep it with you.

Aug 16, 2015 at 07:28 PM
dodgyexposure
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Travel Kit Questions

castlekeeper01 wrote:
Thank you for the thoughtful replies - good points made by everyone. Based on your comments I've learned:

The least essential pieces of my overall kit for this trip include a second DSLR, the flash (that was a surprise!), and the L primes - mostly for size & weight. 2 or 3 lenses should suffice. Very helpful, indeed.

I took my kit to a local camera store (so few left!). The Think Tank Retrospective 10 will hold the 6D and 3 lenses if one is mounted, even the 16-35, 24-105, and 70-300. Hard to imagine leaving the 24-105 home. But -
...Show more

I have a Retrospective 10, and I find it quite handy for body plus 3 lenses, with accessories in the front pocket, with excellent protection and generally quick access. What I don't find handy about it packed like this is lugging it around all day. The Retro 10 is not a light bag, and I have found that it tends to get a bit tiresome hanging off a shoulder (or slung across the body) on a day outing. I would think seriously about trying out some backpacks, if you are going to be on your feet for more than an hour with the full kit.

Aug 16, 2015 at 08:19 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Travel Kit Questions

Just a thought....the 24-105 will do macro...just not as nice or easy as the 100

When I travel with my tripod (large one), I place the wimberly in the same suit case and
have never had an issue...as well as the large ball head.

One body...two bodies.....comes down to where you find your self going.....as stated
I'd rather have the option IN MY BAG...that not be able to get the shot!

Aug 16, 2015 at 08:30 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.