FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Asparagus Beetle Crioceris asparagi Larvae on Asparagus

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Asparagus Beetle Crioceris asparagi Larvae on Asparagus

I previously posted images of the adults and then the larvae. This week I saw an adult. A closer look also found eggs and larvae. These larvae are fairly mature.

I was trying out my extended Printing Nikkor 105 setup, with an additional helical tube, giving a FOV around 10mm. These larvae were each on an individual plant stalk, such that no two were in the same plane. I used twin TTL flash.

In the last image the larva has regurgitated a black droplet of fluid. I did not notice that at the time.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Edited on Aug 15, 2015 at 12:51 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:39 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Asparagus Beetle Crioceris asparagi Larvae on Asparagus

Lovely series Harold
Brian V.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:40 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Asparagus Beetle Crioceris asparagi Larvae on Asparagus

LordV wrote:
Lovely series Harold
Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.

Your reply was only seconds after I posted!

I would have preferred the pale stalk in the background not to have featured but I had limited choice. I very briefly considered cloning it out but I would have made a mess of that.

Harold

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:45 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Asparagus Beetle Crioceris asparagi Larvae on Asparagus

Update:

This morning I went to see if there was any beetle activity on the asparagus. There were some larvae, and the air was mostly still, so I took some more shots.

To cut a long story short, I also got a good sequence of a larva splitting its skin and emerging as the next instar. I hope to post the images early next week.

Harold

Aug 15, 2015 at 04:29 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Asparagus Beetle Crioceris asparagi Larvae on Asparagus

e6filmuser wrote:
Update:

This morning I went to see if there was any beetle activity on the asparagus. There were some larvae, and the air was mostly still, so I took some more shots.

To cut a long story short, I also got a good sequence of a larva splitting its skin and emerging as the next instar. I hope to post the images early next week.

Harold

I am wondering whether the apparent droplet in the last image is the start of ecdysis, with the head capsule detached ventrally and hinged backwards.

Harold

Aug 18, 2015 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.