FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

MikeW2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

lorac wrote:
I would have liked to see some high iso examples. Seems your real world experience is with older FX bodies,

Oldies but goodies. Even with the old D700 and D3 you are going to give up two things (actually four but...) going to any DX body. Speed and high iso performance.

Aug 15, 2015 at 02:56 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

CanadaMark wrote:
Interesting comment about AF. If you're implying that other brands have universally better low-contrast AF tracking (a torture test for any AF system), it is most likely your camera settings causing you the trouble. Nice write-up though, thanks for taking the time.

CanadaMark...
Thanks for both the positive comment and the critique...
I'm not sure that a lot of other camera's do better with low contrast AF tracking, through I have experience with one that could handle this situation better than my current cameras (D800E, D610, D300 and D7200). The Canon 5D3 seemed to have the best AF tracking that I've experienced to day. However, this is an unfair comparison. Compared to the D7200 whose pixel density is extremely hight, the 5D3 had relatively large pixels and thus more room for error.

For the record, I have shot these beavers using multiple AF-track / lock on settings. My preference is to set this (Custom Mode a3) to off, however during times like those where the contrast is particularly low, I have set it to the mid position AF-3 (or normal). At this point, I can't determine if either setting has an appreciably different impact.

bruce

Aug 15, 2015 at 03:17 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

lorac wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to do this and share. I would have liked to see some high iso examples. Seems your real world experience is with older FX bodies, so you wouldn't know personally about high iso performance comparisons with those vs the D7200. By almost all accounts the "same" AF module in the D750 is superior to the D7200, definitely with low contrast situations. I, as you, still hope for a true D300 replacement some day.

Hello Lorac... thanks for your comment
How high of an ISO do you want to see? The second otter and the spider monkey were shot at iso 800. For me, 800 is pretty high ISO. I have a few images taken at ISO 1600, but they are very low contrast situations. The result is they look noisier than I'd like. As for comparisons, I was shooting with a D300 and D300s extensively. As far as I can tell, the ISO 800 files from the D7200 are cleaner than the ISO 400 files from the D300 (1 stop plus 2 x the pixels). In theory, this means that a down sampled ISO 1600 D7200 image should be about as good as a D300 photo at ISO 400.

In the Nikon world, I have also used the D700 and D610 for wildlife. The files from the D610 were beautiful, but the AF was inadequate. I loved the D700, but the resolution was low and thus I could not crop. I love the files from my D800E, but the mirror slap and loud shutter/mirror combo was too much for me.

I have no doubt that the D750 would have the AF and image quality that would beat the D7200, but the fact that it is a full-frame 24mp vs a crop 24mp means that I will be cropping my photos and tossing out a bunch of pixels. Given my focal length constraints and desire to have high res files, my choices are the D7200 or D810. Being a current owner of a D800E, it seemed that the D7200 would be the better purchase... but like you, I would be quite pleased if Nikon made a real D300/D300s replacement in the near future.

Aug 15, 2015 at 03:30 PM
Quickeye
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

Nice writeup, I'll be looking into the D7200 in the next couple of months.

Terry

Aug 15, 2015 at 03:42 PM
lorac
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

OwlsEyes wrote:
Hello Lorac... thanks for your comment
How high of an ISO do you want to see? The second otter and the spider monkey were shot at iso 800. For me, 800 is pretty high ISO. I have a few images taken at ISO 1600, but they are very low contrast situations. The result is they look noisier than I'd like. As for comparisons, I was shooting with a D300 and D300s extensively. As far as I can tell, the ISO 800 files from the D7200 are cleaner than the ISO 400 files from the D300 (1 stop plus 2 x the
...Show more

With modern sensors iso 800 is not high, properly exposed images should be clean. For any very discriminating person D300 was only good to iso 400 without serious NR. Except for that rather serious limitation, I loved that camera. Also loved the D700, except for me too heavy. The major consideration now it seems to me is which trumps what high iso performance or reach. Seems the D7200 is a good compromise, but it is a compromise none the less. BTW VERY nice images.

Aug 15, 2015 at 04:46 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

@Terry... Thanks, I decided to invest some effort on this review because there were so few analyses on how the camera performs in the field. I am heading to the Badlands & Custer SP, SD & hope to give it a workout there.

@Lorac,
Thanks for adding your thoughts on bothe the camera & my pics. I agree w your sentiment re ISO. An ISO of 800 should be a slam dunk, and it is if you are not too picky. I will happily shoot the D800E or D610 @ ISO 800, but the cost to shooting a 24mp crop sensor at ISO 800 in overcast or subdued light is loss of detail due to noise. I am still unsure if the D7200 passes my "smell" test at iso800. As I look at my pics from Costa Rica & Northern CA, I'm beginning to wish for a lower res (17-18 mp) file w the newer AF system... I would give up the pixels for better high ISO performance

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:37 PM
ELinder
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

Nice rightup, and timely as I'm trying to decide whether to add a D7200 to my kit or wait on the hypothetical D400 since I don't really need it immediately.

WRT the AF in low contrast situations, that's something I struggle with even with the D4s. In the winter I do indoor equestrian events where the lighting is mixed and poor, so frequently my baseline ISO is 12,800. The AF performance varies with the color and markings of the horse, so if it's an overall dark and/or even fur color (not unlike your beavers) my miss rate goes way up. In those cases I look for a buckle or bit of shirt or anything with a bit more contrast. I also turn off the focus tracking delay and VR, group area AF mode and release mode to release+focus. That last one seems counterintuitive to me, but I get an overall higher frame rate and focus hit rate with it in poor conditions. In good lighting it works as I'd expect normally.

Erich

Aug 17, 2015 at 09:49 AM
smkunder

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

Very nice captures, looks like that combination provides good detail. Thanks for the write up as I have been thinking of pairing that body with my 300 AFS F4.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:28 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

ELinder wrote:
Nice rightup, and timely as I'm trying to decide whether to add a D7200 to my kit or wait on the hypothetical D400 since I don't really need it immediately.

WRT the AF in low contrast situations, that's something I struggle with even with the D4s. In the winter I do indoor equestrian events where the lighting is mixed and poor, so frequently my baseline ISO is 12,800. The AF performance varies with the color and markings of the horse, so if it's an overall dark and/or even fur color (not unlike your beavers) my miss rate goes way up. In
...Show more

Thanks for the comment Erich...
It is discouraging to here that the D4s also struggles in low contrast situations, however this helps me to understand that this is more of a systemic issue. As I indicated before, I do not think any of my prior camera bodies would have done any better.

bruce

Aug 20, 2015 at 07:30 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

smkunder wrote:
Very nice captures, looks like that combination provides good detail. Thanks for the write up as I have been thinking of pairing that body with my 300 AFS F4.

Thanks for taking the time to read it!
We (my wife and I) also have a 300 f4 AFS.... while I have not paired the lens with the D7200, based on what that optic does with my other camera, I would be very surprised if it was not a great performer on the D7200 as well.

In the world of expensive digital SLR's the D7200 now seems to be a bargain to me.
regards,
bruce

Aug 20, 2015 at 07:32 AM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

I've run about 3500 clicks through the D7200 now and I think your assessment is spot on (and your work is really good!). It is a great camera for someone who uses it for many applications (in my case, family events, portraiture, travel, sports, BIF/critters, landscapes) and has hamburger funds but seeks prime rib IQ, high ISO, AF, and buffer. It improves on the D7100 and delivers tremendous value for the price.

Aug 20, 2015 at 06:39 PM
jyo1

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

Very nice report on D7200---I currently use two DX bodies---a D7100 and my old reliable D300---both have been just fine for everything I've used them for---even motorsports---the buffer issue for me on the 7100 is non-issue as I only shoot large-fine JPEGs. I don't know if it is worth it for me to make the change to the D7200. A D400? When? In my lifetime…?

Aug 20, 2015 at 07:15 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

FYI--You mentioned that you need a digital magnification body because you are FL limited by the 200-400. Low mileage 600/4 af-s V1s are available for $3500-4000, about what a 200-400 V1 goes for these days. It's a good lens for blind work, but a beast to hump around the boonies. The 600/4 AI-s can be had for around $2k. If you're wondering about image quality, go to the manual focus thread and look up Peter Burke's motorsports shots using the TC-16.

Either of these options would allow use of, say, the D750, which is far superior to the 7200 for low light/higher ISO image quality. I've never shot an 800E so I don't know how well it works in reduced lighting conditions. If I was in your situation with the same budgetary constraints (and I suspect I am) I'd opt for the longer lens/bigger pixel combination.

p.s. If you'd like to examine a 600 af-s I, let me know. I live in Woodbury.

Aug 21, 2015 at 09:45 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

Thanks for the offer as well as your input.
I have a good friend in MN that has the 600 f4 AFS (and the 200-400)... He lives that 600, but hates to haul it around. I hike & travel w my gear & know that the older 600's are more than I'd like to carry on a 3mile hike. On the other hand, the new 500 f4 vr2 looks appealing, but @ a price that is way out of budget 😀

henry albert wrote:
FYI--You mentioned that you need a digital magnification body because you are FL limited by the 200-400. Low mileage 600/4 af-s V1s are available for $3500-4000, about what a 200-400 V1 goes for these days. It's a good lens for blind work, but a beast to hump around the boonies. The 600/4 AI-s can be had for around $2k. If you're wondering about image quality, go to the manual focus thread and look up Peter Burke's motorsports shots using the TC-16.

Either of these options would allow use of, say, the D750, which is far superior to the 7200
...Show more

Aug 21, 2015 at 09:58 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon D7200 : Field Report

OwlsEyes wrote:
Thanks for the offer as well as your input.
I have a good friend in MN that has the 600 f4 AFS (and the 200-400)... He lives that 600, but hates to haul it around. I hike & travel w my gear & know that the older 600's are more than I'd like to carry on a 3mile hike.

Yeah, it's massive, almost 14 pounds. A beast to haul out of the boonies at the end of a long day. The new generation is about half the size and weight. A heavyweight when it comes to price tag, though. Too heavy for me to lift, for sure.

Aug 22, 2015 at 08:19 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.