Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

I have started looking at the Nikon 14-24mm and for about the same price you can get a used USA one or a brand new imported one. The prices are about $500 less than a new USA lens which I don't want to spend, so which way would you go?

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:06 AM
dispr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

Better option, eBay via prodigital2000. They currently have 5 in stock at $1399. Comes with a Canadian warranty to boot. I just bought a tamron 70-200 and it arrived quickly and was packed well.

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:22 AM
ash4390
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

dispr wrote:
Better option, eBay via prodigital2000. They currently have 5 in stock at $1399. Comes with a Canadian warranty to boot. I just bought a tamron 70-200 and it arrived quickly and was packed well.

Yup! Purchased a couple Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 back in my DX days from them. Great sellers!

Aug 14, 2015 at 03:45 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

Thanks much. I wonder on a resale how much does it discourage a buyer if it is not a USA lens? Even if it's out of warranty will Nikon service the lens?

Aug 14, 2015 at 03:59 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

SSISteve wrote:
Thanks much. I wonder on a resale how much does it discourage a buyer if it is not a USA lens? Even if it's out of warranty will Nikon service the lens?

I buy 90% of all my equipment used. And to my understanding Nikon USA will NOT service non-USA lenses . . . I will never buy an import lens and I always ask the seller when purchasing.

Grant

Aug 14, 2015 at 04:04 PM
dispr

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

Nikon Canada will service the lens. On the page description on prodigital 2000 listing, they state if you have a service need, you can ship to them, and they'll forward it to Nikon Canada

Aug 14, 2015 at 04:18 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

dispr wrote:
Nikon Canada will service the lens. On the page description on prodigital 2000 listing, they state if you have a service need, you can ship to them, and they'll forward it to Nikon Canada

When I buy equipment I try to remember that some day I might be selling it so I just wonder if it hurts the resale on a lens from Canada even if you can get it service there versus the USA?.

Aug 14, 2015 at 05:02 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

Yes.

You will probably have to disclose that it's not a USA lens (If you have any ethics), and also discount accordingly. Probably by the amount you saved...

I look at lenses like rentals. Unless you hold for life, you should be able to sell at some proportion of the new price, and that proportion will depend on USA, gray, refurbished, used... etc.

Aug 14, 2015 at 05:31 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

If a used 14-24 that you might consider buying was the one I have(which I bought new/USA in 2008), then used is a good deal. Light use, not damaged, super clean, and optically a good copy.
Just make sure that the vendor/seller has a return deal in case you don't like it.
Btw, mine's not fo sale.

Aug 15, 2015 at 01:38 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

I'm burnt out on buying used lenses since I had 2 out of 3 of the last ones arrive defective. No more for me for a while. The one that wasn't defective was also the only one that came with and arrived in the original box and packaging.

I personally received an email from Nikon USA once after purchasing a defective 70-200 on this forum and having to pay the full costs ($600+) for repairs and sending it in to them...the email stating that they absolutely refuse to service any grey market lenses. Not having the papers verifying authenticity of the lens, this caused another delay in service...until I asked them to check if it was a Canadian lens, which it thankfully was, and then they were willing to service the lens.

All this goes to say...don't buy grey market Nikon unless you intend to be out 100% of the value when it breaks, or else try your luck with the one authorized repair center in the USA. So far, my experience with Nikon repair service has been adequate. Not as fast as Canon CPS, but they seem to fix stuff most of the time.

As for buying used...I didn't have quite as bad luck with Canon as I've had with Nikon for used lenses, but I definitely didn't have perfect luck with Canon either.

However...if you have even the SLIGHTEST hint of some kind of abnormal behavior with a lens you purchase used (or new, for that matter, but especially used), SEND IT BACK TO THE SELLER. If it strangely doesn't activate autofocus first time every so often but nothing else seems wrong, SEND IT BACK TO THE SELLER. If you hear any weird noises, or see any image quality quirks on one end or another of zoom, or if one side of the image doesn't seem as sharp as the other, or if anything seems to have a jittery IQ trait anywhere in the frame, or if the AF or zoom just feel strange when turning, SEND IT BACK TO THE SELLER. Do not wait for it to become a bigger problem (which it might) or for you to discover the true meaning of these ominous signs, because then you'll have to foot the expensive bill.

And, just for reference, it doesn't matter how many positive reviews the seller has on FM - sometimes they send you a bad or dying lens. Sometimes they get damaged en route from jarring/etc. Sometimes the lens is just really old and due to die. Don't buy OLD lenses either.

This ends the $612.50 lesson, given here for $0.02.

Aug 15, 2015 at 08:49 AM
soupcxan
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

I would go grey market, APS can easily repair that lens and their service is better than Mr. Impact-Damage-Nikon anyway.

Aug 15, 2015 at 02:19 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

soupcxan wrote:
I would go grey market, APS can easily repair that lens and their service is better than Mr. Impact-Damage-Nikon anyway.

Not according to the Nikon authorized repair center web page.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Authorized-Repair-List.page

Aug 15, 2015 at 02:25 PM
soupcxan
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

ckcarr wrote:
Not according to the Nikon authorized repair center web page.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Authorized-Repair-List.page

Interesting, another anti-consumer policy from Nikon! I would still call APS and confirm they can't get the parts for the 14-24 if I needed a repair before sending to Nikon.

Aug 16, 2015 at 07:51 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

Confused to say the least.....

So people in the US, who's money is now at a very comfortable 30%+ premium and concerned about buying a lens from the Canadian market -- with the added bonus that a lot of the lenses sold here carry the 5 year warranty instead of the measly 1 year one offered by Nikon USA?

I'm clearly missing something here.. It's not as if your considering a Nikon Italia model and it would have to head back (if at all) to the far side of the world on the OFF CHANCE is would EVER NEED SERVICE PERIOD.

I've hauled gear from on end of the marble to another. I've had Canadian, US and Grey market kit (specifically lenses) and in over 40+ years --- MAYBE needed service twice? And when it need to take place, it was off warranty and had it dealt with at NPS because they were miles ahead on price.

I'm clearly missing a part of this whole thought process that constantly rears it's head as though it should REALLY be part of the serious discussion. I can assure you this is a US based concern in large part only... As the people in Canada rarely bring this part of the buying experience up at all

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:27 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

When buying a U.S. lens new the warranty in the USA is 5-years, not one. t's only one-year on camera bodies.

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:48 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon 14-24mm Used USA or New Import?

With a lens such as the 14-24mm I would go with a used lens bought from its original owner on fredmiranda buy & sell or on Craigslist. I would never buy a lens from anyone on eBay as there is no real protection against fraud as I myself have learned.

Aug 17, 2015 at 07:34 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.