Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

The Knox Co. TN high schools kicked off their season with game night 1 of the 2 night jamboree. I've missed football. Feel free to contribute your own HS images. I guess since we start at Week 0, this would be Week -1.

Most of these are from an almost brand new 7dmk2 (eBay Getitdigital) and the 400 2.8 IS and a few with the 1dx and 70-200 2.8 IS II.

Also, I am not used to the crop factor of the 7d2 and sometimes I find myself way too tight. I am chopping limbs like crazy. The good news is that even though it's no 1Dx (and what is), this 7D2 can focus and is pretty darn good.

Edited on Aug 13, 2015 at 11:07 PM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:59 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

A few more.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am somewhat of a DWAC this year as my son is playing again after taking a few years off, but I will try to limit the number of times he appears here.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:01 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

looking good Tim, already in mid season form, we start our week 0 next week as well and our jamboree is Friday and Saturday night

Andy

Aug 14, 2015 at 01:46 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Looking good. Our team starts next week and my daughters soccer team is getting their State Championship rings at halftime. Then we leave for a tournament (along with 80% of the team) in Charlotte. . . Hope to have some good pics to post next week after the tournament.

Aug 14, 2015 at 06:53 AM
fuggedit

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Great shots, love how you've cropped (I assume) to bring the action even closer! I am anxious for football season as well.

John

Aug 14, 2015 at 08:10 AM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Nice set, as you mentioned a little close on some, they are still very good. Thanks for sharing.

Aug 14, 2015 at 09:04 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

HS football is here already? it's still summer !

Aug 15, 2015 at 03:30 PM
jwrossi

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Lots of nice shots! Looks like you didn't have to worry about the "Lights" part of FNL just yet :-). I don't think I have ever seen a chest bump from cheerleaders - nice shot :-)

Aug 15, 2015 at 04:01 PM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Tim - nice set and thanks for posting because I'm counting the days until our week 1 which starts 27-28 Aug.

Looks like you were blessed with some nice directional light in most and #s 4,5, and 6 and my favs.

I've slowly been prepping my FNL kit and looking for ways to improve my load out for max efficiency. Also been wondering if I need to sit down and capture my goals and share with all like I did last season.

Anyways - thanks for priming the juices and looking to share weekly as well!

JC

Aug 15, 2015 at 04:35 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Thanks all,

Night 2 of the jamboree was not so nicely lit and I quickly was at ISO 8000 and 1/800 and 2.8 or so. A much more challenging evening for the 7d2. It did a bit better than expected. One thing I learned is that as far as auto focus goes, I was getting better results with single center point than I was with the center point and 4 surrounding points. I would have thought it would be the other way around, but the single center seemed to nail focus pretty darn well.

Again, noise wise, the 7d2 is no 1dx, but it is tolerable and probably not nearly as noticeable in prints or with a bit more fine tuning in Lightroom.

A couple of may favorites.

Oh, and the last one was a catch and TD, but called back to offensive pass interference. Too bad, as it was a great catch.

Oh, and one final comment...the cheerleader chest bump was a cheer request as they loved the same shot from last year and wanted to reproduce it.

Aug 15, 2015 at 08:38 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Tim,
I am so glad your new/second 7dii is working as advertised (unlike your first that you sent back).

Some 7dii experience to share with you:
1. More so than 7dc, chroma noise reduction needed sooner, but really cleans the image up with pretty much no detail loss. Small values of luminance NR goes a long way in removal of noise and maintaining sharpness as well due to the very fine grain luminance noise.
2. I personally have always had better luck with AF accuracy using single and spot point vs expanded mode. There are two reasons, first is that when single/spot it is easier to see that you are onstage vs seeing a patch of points that may or may not have its center on your subject. Second is that I found the expanded mode will lock into highest edge contrast is falls on, so surround points with better edges will trump center point. If entire cluster fits on subject, it is great, but as you start to reach or many other players are in the action, you can lose control of knowing exactly where your focal plane will fall.
3. Do remember that the actual focus point is quite a bit bigger than the VF indication of the single focus point. If you thought you were on target and focus was way off grabbed onto something adjacent, it is likely due to this size discrepancy; doing be afraid to use the spot focus, it works just fine in AI Servo.
4. Others with the 7dii and 1dx have had to track the case sub setting slightly differently, despite the same Canon AI Servo iii algorithms. (the 1dx brings out more than 3 parameters to tweak) also remember that the Cases just feed the algorithm the preset values of the 3 settings like car FM presets, but algorithm is the same. For oncoming action using +1 or +2 for accel/decel has helped. If you still find the AF lagging for oncoming action (and know you properly tracked the AF point) you can also improve it by increasing sensitivity.
5. You might really like the new antiflicker, it might not be noticeable when taking the shot (only add lag up to a few milliseconds) but really help in FNL(2 and 3 of your second set had green tint).
6. The new auto ISO + EC in Manual mode is a huge improvement we got over the 7dc, not sure if 1dx had it, but it is very useful, expecially for varying light uniformity on the field/court, along with white or black informs.

-Guy

BTW, I got mine from Getitdigital as welln they deserve a plug to go along with their high eBay ratings. Alex the rep was good, he bumped me up from Gray Market $1199 to full USA version with 4 year Warranty including Accident protection for $1399 total. (I was buying extended warranty anyway, so I cancel the eBay Square Trade and bought the CPS Central extended warranty from Getitdigital. And yes, I got the USA Warranty Card.

Aug 16, 2015 at 09:33 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Tim....great looking series and nice way to start the season. I just picked up a 7DMKII and I really like it so far but only used it during daytime shots. Looking forward to using it on Friday nights. It was nice to see your night shots from Night 2. My plans are to have it as my 2nd with a 70-200 II along with my 1DX. Nice to know about your experience with the AF points...already made some notes on that and also looking forward to the anti-flicker.

Look forward to follow your stuff through the season.

Have fun bud..

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:02 AM
Buckeye1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Nice! So when can I go shooting with you 😛

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:11 PM
Gkross

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Always a huge fan of your work Tim. Great set. I'm very excited that the season is almost here. We start September 5th

Aug 22, 2015 at 08:34 AM
BobMarkey
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

7D II shooters: I need to buy either a 1D Mark IV or 7DII this week.

I am a longtime 1-series shooter (1D, 1D Mark IIn and 1D Mark III) and use the bodies mostly for football, basketball and running events, many at night. Servo AF and tracking have to work. I need reliable 6400 (or maybe even higher) ISO. With the Mark III, I seem stuck at 3200.

Which body should I buy? Thanks.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:27 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Fantastic set throughout. Must admit I have never seen the cheer chest bump either... great eye and good timing! But just a solid set with great variety and love the tight action captures. Well done.

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:42 AM
JimBowman
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Finally Football - FNL - Opening Jamboree - Night 1

Tim:

thanks for the tease! Totally looking forward to pushing my new setup for this year D810+Sig 120-300 sport - FPS won't be what my D3s was last year but I have never been much of a motor driver.

Can't wait for football to start this weekend in a scrimmage and then the following week first game of the year. I really need to find something else to do during the offseason besides portrait and family shoots =(

Aug 26, 2015 at 03:50 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.