Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Road America

Ccugolf
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Road America

A few from this weekend at Road America in WI. This is a great track to shoot at. I was able to get to some great locations to take photos (biggest problems were behind the camera). Here are a few of my favorite.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

I really like shooting racing, how can I get better? What might you do different?

Powerplant

Under the Bridge

In the Garage

Out of 4 and down to 5

Pan attempt

Aug 13, 2015 at 09:36 PM
mmorey79
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Road America

I like 1-3, they tell stories. Maybe shift the image a little to the right in #2 if you have any space to re-crop so that there's more "white space" in front of the lead car, race cars need room to "race into" and it helps create the leading line that guides you to the cars. #4 I think the crop needs to be much tighter, though I'm not sure the cars are quite close enough together to make a real wow shot, unfortunately on the straights it's hard to really impart excitement. The pan shot is probably too slow of a shutter speed unless you're willing to spend a lot of time trying to get the shot. Typically my slow pans bottom out in the 1/30th-1/60th range, and even then the keeper rate is insanely low. I worked my way down from shooting 1/320th to shooting 1/125th most of the time when panning (which is most of what I do) through sheer practice and learning good technique. There's a ton of trial and error in it. Also at the higher shutter speeds you might consider backing them down a touch, 1/2500th is pretty much going to freeze anything, and then you can back down the aperture a little for more depth of field at least for shots like the pack shot, for isolations of a single car the background separation may be nice, though with a crop camera it's harder to get.

Aug 14, 2015 at 07:27 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Road America

I would love to shoot at Road America one day...at one time had aspirations of driving there too...

For the racing images, shoot slower, its fun to shoot at 2.8, but those work best when there is a reason to shoot wide open, looking head on to the car with an interesting background, or mid corner fully loaded from a good angle...but when the cars are on track and you see them from the side, the shutter speed is so fast it makes them look parked. There is no action or tension in those. Particularly in #4.

In your pan...nothing is sharp. Start faster than that. When I first started out, I started panning at 1/160 and went down from there as I got better. 1/13...that is hard to pull off and have it look good. Its also very centered, for that shot itself, its too centered. And you will also find that your gear needs to be clean when shooting slow pans, you end up at smaller apertures, which makes all of the dust spots shot up!

Aug 14, 2015 at 07:40 AM
sleepy717
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Road America

R/A has been my favorite travel to shoot motorsports (so far). Humpin' up and down those hills is a workout. I agree with all the above. Practice practice and more practice...and alot of time on the delete key when you get home.

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:24 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Road America

RA has some great, clean backgrounds.

If you can't get a great background, then pan.

If it is not a pan suitable shot, find the best angle (ie. head-on or 3/4 head-on) and shoot low (especially with a bad/cluttered background).

My preference is to limit the number of cars in a shot . . . to avoid the traffic jam look. In this area, I prefer no overlap of the cars.

Dang, that engine is cleaner than the plates coming out of my dishwasher! I think you did a great job with that shot.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:56 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.