New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · For Privacy Advocates

Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · For Privacy Advocates

It seems that every day brings another revelation about Microsoft's attempt to get into all your stuff with this supposedly 'free' Windows 10 upgrade. It's bad enough that I have Adobe constantly phoning home with it's intrusive software - now I have to worry about my OS? No Thanks. When Win 7 updates cease, I am outta here.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/?comments=1

For even more fun, read the comments that accompany this article. There's some pretty good insight into the fact that when you accept Win 10's TOS, you are basically giving Microsoft the keys to your kingdom. I foresaw this when they announced this 'free' upgrade and warned my relatives to steer clear for now. That's still my advice.

Aug 13, 2015 at 02:53 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · For Privacy Advocates

At lease Microsoft Software is more reliable then Adobe's software.

Microsoft bugs will be fixed. Adobe keeps of adding new bugs only fix bugs it feel will effect their bottom line.

Each new Adobe release seems to add a compatibility problems. Things that worked in XP still work in Windows 10.

Microsoft support several versions of the products. Adobe only it latest release.

I rather let Windows phone home then allow Adobe Software to phone home.

You can also not allow Windows to do all it data mining. Then things like Cortana and app are not usable or as usable.

Most users allow some invasion of privacy if they feel it has some positive benefits. They allow phones to geotag images use gps to let other track them or find their phone. Its all around these days. Its not just windows.

Edited on Aug 13, 2015 at 06:20 PM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2015 at 06:06 PM
Jim8EL
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · For Privacy Advocates

Yup, Windows 10 has basically gone the way of smart phones. Lack of privacy is the price you pay for instant targeted info. For example, I use gmail and google calendar at work. When I have an appointment my android phone alerts me when it is time to leave the office while taking into account my location, and traffic along the quickest route.

Windows is even worst in my opinion, because you really have to search to find out what it's doing with your information. There are ways around most of this snooping, but it requires a quite a bit of effort on the part of users to protect themselves from Microsoft.There are some pretty good tutorials on the web about what you should do if you don't want to let M$ into your house. And it's not just M$, if you use chrome browser with a gmail account, you've already given up the keys to the kingdom

You can also download a 3rd party firewall to block a lot of this phoning home stuff. Tiny Firewall is a pretty good frontend to windows firewall that basically works from the principle that everything should be blocked unless you explicitly let it through. Additionally, In windows go to "Privacy" under "Settings" and turn off a bunch of settings like Cortana, Location etc. Also use a local account NOT a microsoft account with windows 10. Of course quite a few windows "features" will no longer work but we've gotten along without them until now so who cares.

J

Aug 13, 2015 at 06:09 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · For Privacy Advocates

I just converted 1 of my 2 Win7 computers. The 1st had nothing installed but Norton, MS Outlook and MS Office. I wanted to see how the upgrade handles those programs and the upgrade in general.
I was amazed at all the extranious "crap" that went with this upgrade. When I went to "shut down" I got this left side panel with all these apps, programs and stuff I don't use.
Just let me shut down!
I also see that it is INDEED very intrusive leaving benchmarks as to where one goes even when options are set not to remember things and no tracking.....
I still use WinXP Pro on 1 computer but may decide not to upgrade my main Win7 photo computer due to all the programs I have installed on it....
I am following all the threads here on the Win10 upgrade.

Also might mention that my wife upgraded her Macbook Pro 17 to Yosemite and it is just as invasive as Windows...
Dan

Aug 15, 2015 at 07:20 AM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · For Privacy Advocates

Former Washington Post writer Brian Krebs is a respected and very readable, common sense source for web security and privacy issues.

His site is Krebs on Security

Here is is widely quoted "Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts"

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:41 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · For Privacy Advocates

The mega-corporations count on the weakness and subservience of the general populationto just give in to their spying. I'll revisit 10 in 2016 to see what options are viable. 7 and 8.1 have extended support until 2020 and 2023 respectively.

EBH

Aug 30, 2015 at 02:16 PM
ReservoirDogs

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · For Privacy Advocates

I am on Mac OSX, same problem on the apple side ...
since i upgraded to Yosemite "Little snitch" (my 1/3 party fire wall) didn't stop to alert me that everything want to connect apple.com before i set up new connection rules

Sep 01, 2015 at 07:27 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · For Privacy Advocates

Most likely since everyone here is using some form of browser...you are already giving up your privacy...long time ago. Even Fred invades your privacy by seeing what you've browsed lately and tailoring FM advertising for you. Wake up...this is nothing new here.

Sep 04, 2015 at 08:33 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · For Privacy Advocates

the following links might be helpful. I apologize if you already know about them.

www.ghostery.com
www.adguard.com
www.anonymizer.com
www.avast.com
www.reputation.com

EPIC and TOR are "stealth" browsers (allegedly)

YMMV

Sep 04, 2015 at 11:44 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · For Privacy Advocates

chez wrote:
Most likely since everyone here is using some form of browser...you are already giving up your privacy...long time ago. Even Fred invades your privacy by seeing what you've browsed lately and tailoring FM advertising for you. Wake up...this is nothing new here.

The browser and OS issues are rather different. What I do on my local computer with my local files is my business, not MS.

EBH

Sep 04, 2015 at 05:20 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · For Privacy Advocates

EB-1 wrote:
The browser and OS issues are rather different. What I do on my local computer with my local files is my business, not MS.

EBH

Sort of different...but there are corporations that buy your browsing habits and do whatever they please with that information.

How do you know MS does anything with your files on your computer? Any proof of this?

Sep 05, 2015 at 08:16 AM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · For Privacy Advocates

(Snore)

Sep 05, 2015 at 09:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · For Privacy Advocates

chez wrote:
Sort of different...but there are corporations that buy your browsing habits and do whatever they please with that information.

How do you know MS does anything with your files on your computer? Any proof of this?

The question is whether you want MS to have access. I have no idea with they do with the information such as typing, but it is not to help me. I suspect it will also yield info for the hackers and others up to no good. Eventually I will probably set up my next main MS system to operate offline and then use my Linux system for the internet.

EBH

Sep 08, 2015 at 12:04 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · For Privacy Advocates

EB-1 wrote:
The question is whether you want MS to have access. I have no idea with they do with the information such as typing, but it is not to help me. I suspect it will also yield info for the hackers and others up to no good. Eventually I will probably set up my next main MS system to operate offline and then use my Linux system for the internet.

EBH

Pretty much what I am doing..1 basic no frill, no files, just OS files, email program and MS Office and IE11x..aka EDGE/Win10..
Other main computer "offline"

Sep 08, 2015 at 07:55 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.