Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Star Light, Star Bright ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Star Light, Star Bright ...

Went out to play last night, first time doing any astro.

Nothing near the 50-60-100 / hour that was being suggested, although I did probably see about that many in the course of the entire night (I stayed out till 5:00 AM). Capturing them however, is an entirely different matter. Unfortunately, I had a "communication error" occur with my f/2.8 glass, and was restricted to using f/4 glass.

I can't begin to tell how many times the shutter went "clunk" only to have one appear two seconds later. That, and they ranged far and wide in both latitude and azimuth, so which portion of the sky to shoot was never "target rich" so to say. I probably had about four smaller "direct hits" that I should have captured (timing / location), but @ f/4, ISO 3200 the dim ones weren't bright enough to record well. I do have one other that might have some possibilities.

Will need reworked to learn the nuance of astro pp, but thought I'd post it to share.

Edited on Aug 13, 2015 at 02:10 PM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2015 at 01:09 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Star Light, Star Bright ...

Hey! At least you caught one of those little bastards.
Last time I tried this during the spring Perseid event and I set my camera up to take a shot every 15 seconds and let it take probably 350 shots only to discover only one image had a single little faint one.

A hint for future attempts. I have seen how some folks stack multiple shots that had captured a shooting star and the resulting image was pretty cool with a ton of shooting stars in the single image.

I had better luck with the ISS. At least with that little thing I know where it's going to be and exactly when.

Dave

Aug 13, 2015 at 01:35 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Star Light, Star Bright ...

lighthound wrote:

I'm feelin' ya.

Aug 13, 2015 at 02:09 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Star Light, Star Bright ...

lighthound wrote:
Last time I tried this during the spring Perseid event and I set my camera up to take a shot every 15 seconds and let it take probably 350 shots only to discover only one image had a single little faint one.

The Geminids in December usually seem easier to catch. Little slower and brighter.

lighthound wrote:
A hint for future attempts. I have seen how some folks stack multiple shots that had captured a shooting star and the resulting image was pretty cool with a ton of shooting stars in the single image.

Those people are basically photoshoping out all the stars in every frame but one and then stacking, if you don't remove the stars, you will end up with star trails.

Aug 13, 2015 at 02:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Star Light, Star Bright ...

Hmm, I always get one or two in my night shots, opps, those are airplanes.

I find several stumbling blocks to astro. Noise being the primary one. Finding the milky way another and post processing another.

Aug 13, 2015 at 02:38 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.