New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Am I crazy.....

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Am I crazy.....

Are you crazy? Hmmm...you're in a gear forum asking if it nuts to want an old, comfortable, formidable bit of gear, instead of the latest/greatest that's the rage but just doesn't seem to fit your style...like a brand new pair of Levi's vs those old broke-in, cool looking and feeling now perfect fitting one's from past road wear?

Crazy, nah, stupid, nah, you're just yearning for good ole days when the 5D2 had you excited! Perhaps you see something in your imaging with the 6D that is wanting, that something the 5D2 sensor had. It might just be how it feels in-hand, perfect balance, control positioning, feature set.

I've a G12, 40D, 50D, 7D and a 1DMk2N; yearning for a 6D; well anything FF, but what body do I just gravitate to, my first DSLR, the 40D. It simply works best 'for me' and it's mostly a physical thing; it's sensor is wonderful, the entire package; grip included, 'for me' is near perfection!

Nostalgia, yeah, crazy, nah, it just a feeling. But, I don't shot for a living, am not as critical of IQ that many are. Photography for this shooter is about creativity, looking through that viewfinder and finding an image. If my camera; gear, is fighting me, I'm not in a happy place and my imaging often reflects the same.

Do what makes you feel right/best, you don't really need us to do any convincing, we didn't ask the question, something deep inside did. Answer that lingering desire and you've found your way...for the moment

Cheers,
Jerry

Aug 13, 2015 at 04:06 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Am I crazy.....

StillFingerz wrote:
Do what makes you feel right/best, you don't really need us to do any convincing, we didn't ask the question, something deep inside did. Answer that lingering desire and you've found your way...for the moment

Jerry: Yes, but... he is actually asking for advice on this question. I think the issue is that he is conflicted — between the desire to do one thing and the realization that it may not quite make sense to do it, and he his looking for some feedback on the relative values of the two choices to help him make a smart choice.

Sometimes we do need to follow that "something deep inside." Sometimes we need help resisting it. ;-)

In this case, I think the question is whether he is likely to obtain the advantages that he thinks might come from selling a 6D and buying a 5DII. There is room for differences of opinion about this, but the large majority of folks here seem to be confirming his concern that the advantage he hopes for might not occur.

Take care,

Dan,

who loves the 5DII, has made (and sold) many photograph with the camera, ranging from landscapes to wildlife to environmental portraits, often making large and high quality prints himself. It was and is a very excellent and flexible camera. That said, the 6D is at least its equal when it comes to image quality, and the feature trade-off is more or less a wash for most people, I think.

Edited on Aug 13, 2015 at 11:31 PM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2015 at 05:49 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Am I crazy.....

gdanmitchell wrote:
Jerry: Yes, but... he is actually asking for advice on this question. I think the issue is that he is conflicted — between the desire to do one thing and the realization that it may not quite make sense to do it, and he his looking for some feedback on the relative values of the two choices to help him make a smart choice.

Sometimes we do need to follow that "something deep inside." Sometimes we need help resisting it. ;-)

In this case, I think the question is whether he is likely to obtain the advantages that he thinks might come
...Show more

Dan, there is a as my last comment. There is so much seriousness in most threads that are just tech babble. Little that is about feel, ergonomics, how well the gear gets out the way. I did not feel the tech babble needed to be re-quoted so took another view, tried to present another option, reason for his wantings.

There is more to photography than just gear, that was my point, if the OP finds this useless at least let him say such.... A lot of folks really need to lighten up a bit, find their organic side and grow it, explore it, see what fruits it might bare, instead of hunting for the elusive megapickle

1/8000th, the QDC and Joystick, three custom functions, perhaps even the P/C Sync socket for flash, could all be reasons to hanker for the 5D2's styling...my 40D is of that same body/feature set and I wonder about these as well as I contemplate 6D, 5D3 or even 5D4, I just didn't think repeating all the tech stuff others had already sighted was necessary

Cheers,
Jerry

Aug 13, 2015 at 07:09 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Am I crazy.....

StillFingerz wrote:
Dan, there is a as my last comment. There is so much seriousness in most threads that are just tech babble. Little that is about feel, ergonomics, how well the gear gets out the way. I did not feel the tech babble needed to be re-quoted so took another view, tried to present another option, reason for his wantings.

There is more to photography than just gear, that was my point, if the OP finds this useless at least let him say such.... A lot of folks really need to lighten up a bit, find their organic side and grow
...Show more

Bang on Jerry. Photography is an art...and like other arts, the tools have to feel good in your hands. Many fine wood workers use old worn ( but well looked after ) tools to do their craft. Sure there are many more modern computerized tools out there that might be able to run circles around the old manual tools...but the old craftsman just has that connection with his tools that allows him to fine tune his craft...a very organic relationship rather than a sterile techno gizmo relationship.

Many of my best art...( at least I feel that way ) has come from my film cameras where I feel much more in touch with the process as I need to insert and remove and develop a negative which I carefully crafted out in the field. Just feels like I'm making something...rather than just pressing the shutter.

OP...if the 5D2 stirs your creativity...ditch the 6D and get what turns your crank. This techno race has not ending...

Aug 13, 2015 at 07:26 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Am I crazy.....

Yeah, as usual you make sense, Jerry.

As to the "more to photography than gear" point, you know I'm on the same page with you in that regard! I didn't say that explicitly in my response to the question about the specific cameras, but that was the primary thing that informed my feeling about it. I just wrote a "gear answer."

Since I suspect that in this case the issue might be more about that Gear Lust thing than any actual advantage of one of the cameras over the other, I thought of writing some of the things I often write or say to folks who ask my advice on this, such as photography is about photographs, not about cameras. But I didn't go there.

Good, functional, appropriate gear is not unimportant, but all too often the gear becomes the focus — which thing is "best," which has the "best" specifications, which excels in some technical area. That particular manifestation of the natural interest in having good, functional gear can easily become a distraction, can't it? (If folks put the same energy into their pursuit of great images that they sometime put into thinking about the equipment, the sky would be the limit for their photography.)

That's not scolding. That's optimism!

Take care,

Dan

StillFingerz wrote:

There is more to photography than just gear, that was my point, if the OP finds this useless at least let him say such.... A lot of folks really need to lighten up a bit, find their organic side and grow
...Show more

Edited on Aug 13, 2015 at 11:49 PM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2015 at 07:31 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Am I crazy.....

gdanmitchell wrote:
Good, functional, appropriate gear is not unimportant, but all too often the gear becomes the focus — which thing is "best," which has the "best" specifications, which excels in some technical area. If folks put the same energy into their pursuit of great images that they sometime put into thinking about the equipment, the sky would be the limit for their photography.

That's not scolding. That's optimism!

Take care,

Dan

Well, this is after all a gear forum, where people do get together to talk about...gear.

There are other forums like the Landscape or b&w forums where people post images to discuss the artistic merits rather than technical gear.

Aug 13, 2015 at 07:55 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Am I crazy.....

gdanmitchell wrote:
Yeah, as usual you make sense, Jerry. As to the "more to photography than gear" point, you know I'm on the same page with you in that regard! I didn't say that explicitly in my response to the question about the specific cameras, but that was the primary thing that informed my feeling about it.

I thought of writing some of the things I often write or say to folks who ask my advice on this things, such as photography is about photographs, not about cameras.

Good, functional, appropriate gear is not unimportant, but all too often the gear becomes the focus
...Show more

It is perplexing that someone who seems to virtually live on the gear forum lectures others about obsession with gear.

Note:
(1) This is an observation backed by evidence, not a personal attack (as you are wont to perceive it).
(2) I have absolutely nothing against people posting as much as they want on any forum, here or elsewhere. Just that those who live in glass houses...

Aug 13, 2015 at 08:15 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Am I crazy.....

Michael -- Yes you are crazy if you can't see the significant technical advantages of the 6D over the 5D2. This coming from someone who still uses a 5D2 and doesn't own the 6D.

Besides, the 5D2 will be facing "obsolescence" in a few years, whereas the 6D will continue to receive Canon support.

Aug 13, 2015 at 08:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Am I crazy.....

Michaelparris wrote:
I have the Canon 6D and am thinking about going back to the 5D MKII.....
Bells and whistles are nice but don't use them a bunch. Have always been a focus recompose shooter. Don't use upper ISO that often. Kinda miss 1/8000 sec.

Am I crazy....

Iron sharpens iron.

I used1/8000 when it first came out in the 1980s. However, it was not so practical and even though high ISO makes it more so I still have no use for it.

EBH

Aug 13, 2015 at 09:02 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Am I crazy.....

Your choice but if your asking, yes crazy.

5d2 is very very old now and shows it. has a very short list of advantages over the 6d (1/8000th, pc synch), if you cant live without them you must find it hard to cope with life!

Aug 13, 2015 at 09:21 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Am I crazy.....

I prefer my 1Ds2 over my 6D when suitable light is available.

I tried using my 7D2 at a wedding last weekend - what a disappointment that was, except for a couple of times when I needed to fill in some outdoor shadows and it worked flawlessly. In the field the shots looked good - but once I got them on the computer they looked like crap. I wasn't ready to trust that camera, and used my 6D for 70% of the shots. And they all turned out the way I expected they should.

If you feel the need to upgrade, a 6D won't disappoint. There is not much of a learning curve Upgrading from a 5D2.

But think carefully before getting one with bells and whistles that requires you to have to spend significant time learning new stuff just to do what you can already do on your existing camera.

Just be sure you're doing it to obtain a desirable benefit.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:14 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Am I crazy.....

hands down better IQ all around, no banding, autoiso with minimum shutter, wifi, gps, lets not let the nostalgia make you do anything silly. Aside from 1/8000, the 6D is vastly better.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:02 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Am I crazy.....

The 6D is certainly better but hardly "vastly better" than the 5D2. In terms of high ISO, low light AF and LCD charity, it's one notch up in the EOS evolutionary scale. The W-Fi and GPS sounded great when I first bought the darn thing but were big battery eating disappointments for me and I leave them disabled. 6D physical controls are less plentiful and and OVF seems a little smaller.

Edited on Aug 13, 2015 at 11:50 PM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:47 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Am I crazy.....

Wonder what the OP's thoughts/questions are after hearing all of this.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:49 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Am I crazy.....

He probably was just jerking our collective chains...

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:50 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Am I crazy.....

Nope...was in the hospital. Well read and respond this weekend

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.