New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2015 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

Here's an analogy that I just came up with that might help to explain the point I want to make.

Would a consumer buy a Ford F-350 Super Duty and complain it was too big? No, that would be silly. The F-350 is for serious work.

But hobbyist photographers buy pro gear and complain it's too big. I just don't understand that. Not trying to be mean or anything. And honestly, I'm really glad the mirrorless cameras are getting better for y'all.

Aug 11, 2015 at 01:24 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

Aug 11, 2015 at 01:51 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

Faster lenses are bigger lenses. Even though I'm a hobbyist, I bought professional lenses while shooting Canon because I'd discovered both the pleasure of having sharp images and the pleasure of isolating a subject by shooting at a wider aperture. I discovered that snapshots, as enjoyable as they may be in some circumstances, were not what I wanted to be capturing with my camera. It is probably the reason I've no interest in taking photos with my iPhone.

I've sold that Canon gear and am now invested in Nikon playthings. I'm always interested in what is happening with mirrorless cameras, but smaller has never suited me especially. I'm still enjoying shooting with a D700, which many consider to be a professional camera. I didn't think of it that way when I bought it but it certainly is a different beast that the D600 or even the D750. So I'm not sure exactly who you're talking to with this post. The only thing that really matters is that photography gives one pleasure all the way from kit building, through photo capture and working within the digital or chemical darkroom.

Aug 11, 2015 at 02:32 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

so many are looking for the "magic pill" that will make them a better photographer and they think pro gear will do that. Sort of like thinking you can play golf like Phil Mikelson if you use the same clubs, balls, shoes etc.

Aug 11, 2015 at 02:41 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Here's an analogy that I just came up with that might help to explain the point I want to make.

Would a consumer buy a Ford F-350 Super Duty and complain it was too big? No, that would be silly. The F-350 is for serious work.

But hobbyist photographers buy pro gear and complain it's too big. I just don't understand that. Not trying to be mean or anything. And honestly, I'm really glad the mirrorless cameras are getting better for y'all.

What if the F-350 were the only truck that came with a stereo? The analogy being that camera makers leave off features on their smaller, prosumer bodies that aren't really size specific - like FPS and deep buffer depths.

Aug 11, 2015 at 03:01 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

my prosumer gear is too big!

Aug 11, 2015 at 03:08 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

I think that whether a piece of gear is a "pro" or "consumer" grade is irrelevant. Sometimes, you can only get a certain look from the big guns (the 200 f/2 comes to mind). It's a heavy glass, but if you really want that rendering, you gotta pay for it. (physically and financially )

Aug 11, 2015 at 03:09 PM
2of9
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

I drive a 1992 Mazda Miata, equipped with professional tires. This makes me a Professional Racecar driver.

Aug 11, 2015 at 03:19 PM
shekarn64
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

I am sure somewhere out there some one complaining about that truck being too big

Aug 11, 2015 at 03:23 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

One of my trucks is a 460 cu. in. F-350, and I shoot a D810/200 f2
Don't judge me

Aug 11, 2015 at 03:37 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

I have that truck and bitch about how big it is anytime people box me in at a parking lot. Lifted, crew cab, 8ft bed, it's a land yacht.

I think what you meant to say is mirrorless people are annoying

Aug 11, 2015 at 04:11 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

Way to read between the lines, Jason

Aug 11, 2015 at 04:21 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

snapsy wrote:
What if the F-350 were the only truck that came with a stereo? The analogy being that camera makers leave off features on their smaller, prosumer bodies that aren't really size specific - like FPS and deep buffer depths.

That's a good point. II hadn't thought about it that way. I'm genuinely afraid that Nikon will reduce size and weight to appease the rally cry on the Internet. But for long hours of use, I find large equipment to fit my hand so perfectly with no fatigue. A small, unsubstantial grip on the other hand, kills my hand.

So I hope stereos get put in consumer cars and F350s stay big and rugged

Aug 11, 2015 at 04:55 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

Jason_Brook wrote:
I have that truck and bitch about how big it is anytime people box me in at a parking lot. Lifted, crew cab, 8ft bed, it's a land yacht.

I think what you meant to say is mirrorless people are annoying

No not at all, haha. Like literally my favorite person on the planet is Derrick Story and he's obsessed with mirroless photography. So I'm not annoyed. More afraid. The reaction to large pro gear announcements is nearly universal disdain. Just endless complaints about size and weight. But for 10 hour days I find my large gear comfortable and perfectly balanced. I don't want to lose it.

Aug 11, 2015 at 05:00 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

I drive an older Silverado, which has seen more than its share of mud ruts and is equipped with a few dings here and there. People tell me it's a compensation thing, but I've yet to order a mirror-less camera.

Aug 11, 2015 at 05:02 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

There are aftermarket grips that could potentially help with the ergonomics for smaller cameras. Big is easy, small is tough. That said, for me (a wasteful hobbyist), when I had my D4, the bulk never bothered me; and contrary to the general advice, it was my walk-around camera (which for me is a camera that is ready for any situation). At times, it made the subjects very conscious and was too loud. D810 plus battery grip replaced it.

Aug 11, 2015 at 05:14 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

ohsnaphappy wrote:

That argument is invalid in Texas. You can live in a one bedroom apartment and never leave the city/suburbia and drive an F-350 dually just to brag about it...just saying!

Aug 11, 2015 at 05:22 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

For serious photographers I think size/weight is often well down the list. In the context of the effort and obstacles to produce great pictures, a slightly bigger/heavier camera is usually not that big a hardship. Yes, there are exceptions like lugging a body & zooms for 12hrs at a wedding and climbing for hrs up mountains but performance will still come first.

The other end of the spectrum are rich amateurs who buy these to take pictures of their kids running around on a weekend family outing who probably don’t want to put up with the size/weight. The problem for the camera market is that these are probably the bulk of the buyers of D610, D750, D810 type cameras. There will always be the guy with the Phaseone IQ180 in the car who shoots with a p&s because he can’t be bothered to carry it (this is a true story).

I think the tipping point comes when smaller and less weight comes without many performance tradeoffs or even other advantages which is where we are starting to get to.

Aug 11, 2015 at 05:34 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

And, what if that F350 loses half it's value in about one year?

Kent in SD

Aug 11, 2015 at 05:58 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pro Gear and Hobbyists

Two23 wrote:
And, what if that F350 loses half it's value in about one year?

Kent in SD

Instead it loses it right after you drive it out of the lot.

Aug 11, 2015 at 06:33 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.