New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · South Africa

cameron12x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · South Africa

Am considering trip in January.

Any recommendations on travel agencies and outfitters?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 11, 2015 at 07:25 AM
dhachey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · South Africa

I've had very good experiences with C4 Photo Safaris. Contact Shem Compion and tell him I sent you. They cater very specifically to experienced and novice photographers alike.

http://www.c4photosafaris.com

Aug 11, 2015 at 08:05 PM
Scott T
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · South Africa

I've seen Shem's work printed and mounted large in a safari lodge, great stuff!

There's lots of options and price ranges...the rand is at an all time low to the dollar, but lodges are priced in USD, so there's not the savings that one would hope for. Drinks are cheap!

I have found that going with an agent or outfitter is 2-3x the cost of booking directly, and photo trips are 2x the cost of those...so it gets expensive fast. If you are going solo, I would absolutely book a photo tour. I went with my family (3 of us), so a photo trip was not a cost effective option for 2 non-photographers.

Booking directly requires more work, responses via e-mail are on "Africa time", which may mean days or never. Phone calls are better, but getting an English speaker is hit or miss. You'll have to book your own transfers, this is where outfitters add value. Some of the larger companies, like AndBeyond and Mala Mala.

In my experience (4 safaris), people on photo tours or with a private rover rental had preferences at the sightings and often the "photo" guide, but we were at the same sightings, they just had a few more opportunities. A good guide makes a difference, but there's no shortage of great sightings and photo opportunities. I have several thousand pictures, not a problem, lol

I've admired the work of Grant Atkinson and Andy Biggs, but have never been on a trip with either.

There's a treasure trove of information here, and a good place to start: http://www.eyesonafrica.net/
Thomson Safaris is a reputable company as well.

January seems like a lull in the action, so you might find a deal!

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:52 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.