New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

Last March I was working at my desk whilst watching our local morning show, cappuccino in one hand, mouse in the other, as routine usually has it.

The show ends at 9:00AM, but I got distracted that day and let the TV run. The next show came on the air, one I never watch. Another talk show, but more intimate. The introduction presented a couple which had won a contest named "Deco for your heroes" which is about rewarding families who contribute positively in their community by offering them a 10,000$ room make-over in their house. A friend of theirs had signed them up.

To make a long story short, Sylvie and Jonathan first had six biological children, whom are all adults today. 11 years ago, they began adopting children with special needs -- autism, cerebral palsy, etc -- knowing these children had a very low probability of finding a loving home. They adopted five such children, who are between 4 and 12 years old today.

Then, last October, she was struck with cancer. At the time the show aired, she was still waiting to hear whether the chemo had worked. They aired a clip of their experience with the make-over show (they renovated the family room) and showed a beautiful wall with a lot of family photographs.

I was really touched by their story and the fact I never listen to this show prompted me to take it as a sign to do something. I hopped onto Facebook and contacted their social media team in the hope they could put me in contact with the family so I could offer them a free session.

A couple days later, I got in touch with the producer, who put me in touch with the Godfreys. Finally, last Sunday, we drove to their son's estate where 38 grinning people were waiting for us. Their eldest son has fifteen children of his own, half of which have also been adopted.

They were such an inspirational family. Thankfully Sylvie is in remission now, but recuperation will be slow. She is well supported as you can see.

So, here they are.

Sylvie and Jonathan, and their 36 children and grandchildren.

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/godfrey/FK77443.jpg

There's more on the blog: http://www.fk7photo.com/la-famille-godfrey/

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:05 PM
gempixel
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

Wow.. What a fantastic story and great shot! It's always so wonderful to hear these kinds of inspiring stories and kudos to you for reaching out.

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:20 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

yes, kudos for giving it back to the community. nowadays, it's easy to get lo be wrapped-up in the daily grinds and not have a 2nd thought for the neighbors. :-)

tfs!

tom

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:35 PM
FullHousePhoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

Dude. The story is way better than the photo. And the photo ROCKS!

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:43 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

Some of the grandchildren were ridiculously photogenic. I suffered from several vagal shocks secondary to cuteness overloads.

Zack has this adorable grin

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/godfrey/FK77345.jpg

But really, Tianha just stole my heart. Jess is OK with it.

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/godfrey/FK77496.jpg

Look at that face. ^^

This is Celeste, the youngest of their biological children and a most charming young woman. She's holding her little brother who is autistic and blind. They have a really special bond.

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/godfrey/FK77456.jpg

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/godfrey/FK70740.jpg

He has to be bottle fed every day because he accepts nothing else.

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/godfrey/FK77471.jpg

When we entered that home there was so much love in the air it's like it transferred onto us and Jess and I fell in love with that family in return.

Just amazing from A to Z.

Aug 11, 2015 at 01:09 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

Profound, and so deeply humbling. All of it.

You're a good guy, Francis. God bless.

Aug 11, 2015 at 01:53 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

Nice clean photos. Well done. The only nit is the 1/2 of a guy in the 1st one ... gotta watch things like that.

Great back story too. They are a special couple and the world is richer for them.

Aug 11, 2015 at 04:57 AM
Taff Dalling
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

Beautiful story, brought a tear to my eye

Aug 11, 2015 at 05:53 AM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

Thank you for sharing this.

These people are true heroes.

Aug 11, 2015 at 08:51 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

It is a really nice story, but did you take an entire group shot with everyone in the image and in focus? Not sure why you cut the guy on the far left in the first shot. I get the concept of the family behind them being out of focus, but I'd lay money they'd want a shot with everyone fully in the frame in and in focus.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:29 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

Theres about 80 photos on the blog you'll find many group shots there as well. Guy is cut because it was the first exposure of the pose, I noticed in camera, recomposed and shot a few more but their expression was the best in the first one.

I always prioritize expressions or the moment over a technically perfect photo.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

FrancisK7 wrote:
Theres about 80 photos on the blog you'll find many group shots there as well. Guy is cut because it was the first exposure of the pose, I noticed in camera, recomposed and shot a few more but their expression was the best in the first one.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Given the guy who is cut is in the background, obviously the expressions of the couple trump him. The message and subject of the image comes through loud and clear either way.

Aug 11, 2015 at 01:28 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

FrancisK7 wrote:

I took a look at the blog and I didn't see any full group shots with everyone together in it like this first one. Still curious if you have one of everyone in focus. Also, just saying, but if the background is great in one shot, and their expression is great in another, it's often easy to turn it into a composite if it's basically the same shot/focus length, etc.

Aug 11, 2015 at 03:28 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

You're right, I didn't include many full group shots in the blog. I left most of them out. They're all in their gallery in the client access section.

I'm not a great photoshopper and I don't like composites so I never really used them. What do you use to make them? I probably could take the group from another exposure and put the couple from the first shot in. If they want to print that one big it is what I would have attempted. I attended a Joe Mcnally workshop last month and there was a special on topaz filters and I got them all, including Remask, which I used for the first time last week to impressive results.

The guy who is cut is also a spouse and not a kid and grandchildren so felt less bad, even though I agree people should never be cut if you can help it.

If the composite doesn't take too much time I'm willing to try it. We drove 3 hours, spent 3 hours with them, and I spent another 4-5 hours in PP. I didn't want to spend 30 minutes trying a composite that may fail for a single image out of 121ish good ones.

If you can offer advice I'll definitely try it though, if only for practice.

Aug 11, 2015 at 04:39 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

The composite is really easy on this shot because the main subjects are sharply in focus and the background is out of focus. I use Perfect Photo Suite for the more difficult masking jobs, but for this one, piece of cake. In PS, I'd simply use my Quick Selection Tool and select the couple up front. I might use Refine Edge if there are some stray hairs. I'd also feather the selection with a 1, 2 or 3. Copy and paste as a new layer. I'd bring in the other shot with the full group behind them and bring that in as a layer just under the masked couple. You may need to clone some things so the couple fits into the new background. The couple will likely be a bit larger than they are in the new background (as you would have shot a bit wider to get everyone in the shot) so you just scale them down until it's a perfect fit. Merge the layers down, and you're done. Roughly a 5-minute job.

But I'm still curious if you got a shot of the entire group in focus?

Aug 11, 2015 at 04:52 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

This exact shot? No.

I've got shots with them with the group where everybody is in focus though.

Aug 11, 2015 at 04:59 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

Great story and you got so many great captures! Looking through the blog, you really captured the gentle love and rich emotion of the family.

Aug 11, 2015 at 09:52 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

wonderful work. Kudos to you for reaching out to them and recognizing their kindness. They will adore these images forever.

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:55 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

So cool. I love it!

I did a large family like this years back, it was so fun with all the generations!

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:55 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Jonathan, Sylvie and their 36 children and grandchildren

Thank you everyone! The family loved the photos so much, I have 12 new Facebook friends as of this morning and I am quite sure we will all be keeping in touch for years to come.

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:07 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.