New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Guinness Draught

Gab01992
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Guinness Draught

Today I was doing another shot for my portfolio. I used the famous beer, Guinness Draught. Hope you liked it!

You can see more of my work here: www.infiinitystudios.com

Aug 10, 2015 at 04:43 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Guinness Draught

Really liking the shot, technically. I'd add in the highlights around the cap to finish off the profile lighting.

The issue I have here is that you've got a Guinness bottle instead of a Guinness pint. This is all just personal opinion and preference, but as someone who cut my teeth when it comes to stouts and porters on Guinness, there is a total disconnect for me with a bottle. I'm not sure if the nitro system is different than the cans, but I've never really enjoyed one from the bottle as opposed to from the can or draught.

It might seem cliche to go for the pint glass and wall of bubbles that Guinness is known for, but when doing product work I imagine that's exactly the kinda stuff you want to lean on.

Would love to see a similarly lit shot with a Guinness in a branded pint class.

My $.02 (or maybe $.04 with as much as I'm rambling)!

Cheers,

Jeff

Aug 11, 2015 at 07:04 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Guinness Draught

My gut response was similar to Jeff's regarding an expectation to seeing a draft.

However ... as a portfolio piece, I think this does a nice job of showing your ability to handle both glass reflections and black on black ... two very challenging aspects.

As to the image, I might like to see just a bit more of the bottle cap and bottom of the bottle to present a touch of dimensionality and separation of the vertical black abyss. OTOH, the lack of their detail makes for a kind of sultry vibe with the curvy highlight being the contour to stand out as it does. Likely, as a portfolio piece, I think this one shows off some technical capability as well as some artistic rendering in your lighting choices.

Despite the difference from a draft expectation, recall that not everyone who is viewing your port is going to be looking for the traditional expectation. I think this is a fine piece for inclusion in your port.

Aug 11, 2015 at 07:29 AM
Gab01992
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Guinness Draught

Thanks guys! well I didn't and i can't do it as well because here in Puerto Rico doesn't sell the beer. My aunt which lives in Florida tried yo ship me a couple of bottles with the beer and can't ship them with it so she just drank it hahaha and then ship me the empty bottles. So maybe when I can get some really beer I maybe do a better shot with the actual beer. Thanks really for your tips!

Aug 11, 2015 at 09:59 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Guinness Draught

When I first saw this on my tablet this morning I could not see the slight highlights on the left side as I can now.

I actually liked not seeing the left side or top because it simply left a beautiful curved edge on the right and almost took on an abstract feel to it and allowed my brain to fill in the blank.

I'm not a product guy but the "Brewed in" text at the very bottom either needs to be brought out more or pushed down so that it's either completely legible or not a distraction. I think I would prefer it to be gone.

Other than that, I agree with Jeff and Kent that this is a very nice shot!

Dave

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:43 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Guinness Draught

lighthound wrote:
When I first saw this on my tablet this morning I could not see the slight highlights on the left side as I can now.

I actually liked not seeing the left side or top because it simply left a beautiful curved edge on the right and almost took on an abstract feel to it and allowed my brain to fill in the blank.

I'm not a product guy but the "Brewed in" text at the very bottom either needs to be brought out more or pushed down so that it's either completely legible or not a distraction. I think I would
...Show more

I'm gonna have to say that Aurthur Guinness would not take too kindly to you removing his name from the beer he created.

.edit Wow - I did not even see the words on my [work] monitor until I boosted the exposure greatly. Sorry 'bout that Dave!

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:55 AM
Gab01992
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Guinness Draught

Haha yep! Actually I used this shot as my base. Why is actually a dark exposure with just the right highlight. The base "it's made..." Was a bit distracting and doesn't look real. Later I'll share a BTS video so you guys can see how I achieve the lighting.

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:29 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Guinness Draught

beavens wrote:
I'm gonna have to say that Aurthur Guinness would not take too kindly to you removing his name from the beer he created.

.edit Wow - I did not even see the words on my [work] monitor until I boosted the exposure greatly. Sorry 'bout that Dave!

It's ok man. I know what it's like to get old and have poor vision.
Actually, when I scroll this image to the center of my work monitor I can't see it, but as I scroll the image up or down so the bottom of the bottle is near the edge of the screen I can clearly read it.
And no, not the signature.

Now that I see your newest posted image I know that I'm not seeing things in your original image. Along the very right edge near the bottom you can still see a little of the text. I originally thought it may have been some type of artifact. Might want to make that go away also.

Dave

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM
Gab01992
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Guinness Draught

Here is the blog post with the BTS video.

http://www.infiinitystudios.com/guinness-draught/

Aug 11, 2015 at 07:08 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Guinness Draught

Nice BTS video, and nice job on the photo.

Walt

Aug 12, 2015 at 08:45 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.