Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lighting Options

emeryz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighting Options

So, I'm more of a portrait photographer but I do events when they come along too. I've been hired for a second camera a couple of times here in Mexico. I'm using a manual flash so it gets hard to always change settings when I'm shooting as the event lighting is always dimming and rising to different colours.

I found at the latest wedding I was following the videographer a lot as he had continuous lighting and I could shoot without a flash and have good shots. Are there any good options for continuous lighting for a photographer? I like the consistent lighting/shots with the led lighting option.

Or should I invest in a TTL flash?

Cheers!

Aug 10, 2015 at 01:26 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighting Options

Hi Emeryz,

Videographers use continuous lighting because they have no other choice but it's pretty obnoxious imho.

I rather loathe having to use TTL but in the fast pace of event photography, if you're not happy relying on ambient, TTL is the option of choice... it should just be bounced or whatever other technique to get the light "off camera" if possible.

Regardless of the compromises, yes, you need TTL in your arsenal.

Regards,

Chuck

Aug 10, 2015 at 04:09 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighting Options

I haven't used TTL in about 5 years. In fact, I use cheap speedlights that don't even have TTL capabilities.

If you want to go with LED lighting, here's3 options:

Wescott Ice Light
Lowel GL1
Cheap LED panels

Aug 10, 2015 at 09:04 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighting Options

I dont use TTL flashes at all ... if I need an on camera ( i really only use one on my Leica MM because I do not have to worry about WB) I use whatever flash I have handy on manual.
We use Neewer Lithium flashes for our OCF stuff and have a 500 LED video light panel if we need continous light which we mostly only use for macro shots or the occasional portrait.

Aug 10, 2015 at 01:12 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lighting Options

I assume you're talking about ETTL... ETTL has its place, but most of us (as you can tell) stop using it almost as soon as we start. I think I used it my first year... and never again. There is just no need in 99% of wedding shooting. Plus, it severely eats batteries.

Aug 10, 2015 at 01:41 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lighting Options

amonline wrote:
I assume you're talking about ETTL... ETTL has its place, but most of us (as you can tell) stop using it almost as soon as we start. I think I used it my first year... and never again. There is just no need in 99% of wedding shooting. Plus, it severely eats batteries.

Do you rely 100% on off camera flashes? Otherwise how do you manage on camera bounce in manual? I'd hate to have to guess the distance and inverse square law each time my distance from a subject, wall or ceiling changes.

Edited on Aug 10, 2015 at 03:03 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2015 at 02:15 PM
emeryz

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lighting Options

I've been using ambient lighting inside the churches as they're big open catholic churches. But there's some places like small receptions with dark wooden ceilings and walls that the flash won't bounce off. I guess I need to add a soft box/cap to my flash to help. But its the receptions that are too dark to shoot ambient until the lights go up, but then they go down.. So I'm always chasing the lights fiddling from my manual speedlights to ambient and back and forth which gets tedious when there's a request for a group photo etc, and I'm rushing to take it. That's why continuous sounds good.

Thanks for the suggestions rondphoto.

Aug 10, 2015 at 02:47 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.