FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tiny Digger Wasp On Goldenrod

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tiny Digger Wasp On Goldenrod

It was the first day that my Goldenrod was attracting large numbers of insects, mainly honeybees.

I became aware that this species was feeding on the flowers, with at least two individuals present at times. They were much smaller than a social wasp Vespula, unlike the previous, hoverfly-hunting species I featured. Also, the general impression of their colour was of black with some yellow markings.

These wasps moved around rapidly, mostly spending only a few seconds on an inflorescence. Even then they mostly presented their rear ends to my lens. After an hour or two, I managed to get some usable images. These were shot with my Kiron 105mm macro, using twin TTL flash.

Features I consider to be useful in naming these are the extensive yellow on the face, with a characteristically-shaped boss and the abdominal pattern, especially laterally, is distinctive. I am fairly sure that these are of the family Crabronidae and are one of the smaller species.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:15 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tiny Digger Wasp On Goldenrod

Good captures Harold
brian v.

Aug 10, 2015 at 01:13 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tiny Digger Wasp On Goldenrod

LordV wrote:
Good captures Harold
brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

These were only to be found on the east side of the extensive patch of Goldenrod, where the plants were slightly more advanced. This meant that I was shooting into the sun for much of the time. When I finished the session, I was sure that I still needed postable images and was surprised that I had a few after all.

Harold

Aug 10, 2015 at 01:22 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tiny Digger Wasp On Goldenrod

Well done Harold. It's 1 for me ~ Ron

Aug 10, 2015 at 07:19 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tiny Digger Wasp On Goldenrod

surfnron wrote:
Well done Harold. It's 1 for me ~ Ron

Thanks, Ron.

I agree the second one just scraped in and the others are mainly for possible recognition.

Harold

Aug 10, 2015 at 09:13 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.