New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Some first hand thoughts on Leica X 113 vs X Vario

c4change
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some first hand thoughts on Leica X 113 vs X Vario

The X line is often underlooked by many people. There are even many myths about the X line and negative remarks about it. "It's just a re-labeled Panasonic! You've wasted your money!" - I had people say that to me when I picked up the XV with EVF and accessories at a tag of over 3k. "You are better off buying an M9". I was told.

Well, for short answers, 1) The XV and X are made in GERMANY. 2) From a user experience, they are much better than the old dinosaur M9 with its dated technology. Yes I am speaking from my personal hands-on experience. IMHO if you want a range finder and enjoy MF, get the M or save up for it. Don't bother with M8, M9, or the -E and -P. But that's another topic.

I am aware of those negative comments on the XV floating on the internet before I bought it. I was sold when I handled it in the store. After using it for about 2 years, I can honestly say that it is a marvelous camera. You can see some pictures from the XV in this thread here:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1287347

How does the XV stand against the X 113?

Pros of the X113:
The XV color pallet is slightly more on the blue bias. The X 113 has more accurate color.
The X f113 has much improved AF, especially in low light.
The X 113 has 0.2cm close focusing, compared to 0.3cm for XV (which is not bad at all).
The X 113 is more responsive. At times the XV is sluggish.
The new 020 EVF is very bright, even in low light. Faster refresh than the EVF2 for XV.
F/1.7 lens.
Improved ISO (maybe half to 1 stop).
Love the new EVF 020 finder. It's got fast refresh rate, is very bright even in dim light, and the GPS and tilt makes it an irreplaceable accessory for the X.

What I wish for the X113:
Wish the lens is a little heavier (just a little). Optically it's great and well made, just figured a little more weight wouldn't hurt.

Pros of the XV:
Very practical zoom range, 28-70mm. While I am at this, if you are eyeing for the T but will only be using the zoom lens, get the XV. I suspect the XV's lens is better. If you intend to use the T with the 23mm f/2, consider the X 113 instead. Lack of direct-control buttons is not something you may get used to.
Even with its slow aperture, the XV is very usable in pretty much all lighting situations (see my pictures in the other thread), except the most challenging ones.

What I wish for the XV:
Faster lens.
Allow MF assist in all focal length, rather than forcing on the 70mm.
Faster response, especially in low light. The AF and EVF lag can be intolerable.

It's not easy to let go of my XV, but I know the X 113 serves me better. 35mm equivalent fixed with large aperture, usable ISO up to 6400 (and organic looking). The color fidelity is slightly more true on the X 113, but keep in mind the XV is already beyond excellence when compared to most other cameras on the market.

The question: if you can only take one camera with you, which one will be? For me, it's the X 113. But YMMV. You will be happy with either. And if you keep both, they complement each other really well.

Aug 09, 2015 at 05:45 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.