New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · LR virtual copy

CosmicCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR virtual copy

Why when I make a virtual copy can I not move it to another folder? I get a pop up that says "only the master can be moved yet when I move the master the VC goes with it!

Aug 09, 2015 at 11:47 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR virtual copy

It can be done within Collections but not in folders. Virtuals are linked to originals.

Aug 09, 2015 at 12:26 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR virtual copy

thanks, it's really annoying though

Aug 09, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR virtual copy

this is because its not an actual file . if it was a physical copy it would take up more space on your drive . but a virtual copy isn't a file so can't take up space on your drive . if you moved it away from the real file what are you moving ?

schlotz is correct . you move it into other collections .

to really ge the best out of LR you need to stop thinking in folders and sub folders . collections are what make LR tick better . images (both real and virtual) can live in many collections and when edited are edited in all collections .

Aug 10, 2015 at 01:49 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR virtual copy

I haven't tried it but I wonder how LR would handle a 'symbolic link' to a file on a Mac. It's a very common method to make it appear as though a file/object is someplace it isn't.

must drink more coffee

Aug 10, 2015 at 05:03 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR virtual copy

Howard :
Im not sure it would handle it . I must confess I've not done any 'symbolic links' on my mac but having had a quick scan thru google about them I could see a couple of things that LR would trip up on .

1: as you do the 'sym link' outside LR you would have to at least (if it was even possible) to import the 'new' file into LR for it to even know it exists . it would be like moving a file outside LR and then pointing LR at the moved file as as far as LR would be concerned the file wouldn't be missing .

2: if as said above importing the sym into LR was possible it wouldn't have any of the current edits so at best you would have to start from scratch . as you know you can create a Virtual Copy and it has all the edits previously done to that file.

Aug 10, 2015 at 06:36 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.