New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Morning stroll

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Morning stroll

If I was starting over, I think I would use my crop but leave the branches unless you are a world class cloner. The problem is you don't have enough background to use for cloning. Instead I would maybe blur the branches and adjust the brightness to make them less obtrusive.

As far as processing, I think Kents is way too light for the setting. I used shadow highlight to bring out some added contrast and just a bit of saturation, I then desaturated green. I used the dodge too to darken some of the bright spots, but perhaps not enough. Of yes, I ran some Topaz noise. That would work a lot better on a full size raw.

If I had the skill, I would make copy of the deer and save it on a layer so I could work the background alone and then replace the deer. But I could never do that without a witness or unnatural edges..

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Morning stroll

Yeah, I was pushing it a bit in various ways. It could probably stand for some gamma to put back to it for both the "flat" and the incongruence to the setting. As noted, this one isn't for the faint of heart ... so, it will have to be one of passion to pull it off and get it where you want it.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:03 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Morning stroll

I don't know Ben. I'm getting a little better at the cloning thing I think. Nobody busted me on my clone work on the fawn image. Take a look at that darn stick right in the middle of the nearly sooc image below then go look at my OP image.

I've been taking good notes around here and have learned a great deal and continue to do so everyday.
If I ever get this color issue under control, my next big adventure is learning better post skills which will probably involve PS & use of layers.

Dave

Nearly sooc image of fawn

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:10 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Morning stroll

RustyBug wrote:
Yeah, I was pushing it a bit in various ways. It could probably stand for some gamma to put back to it for both the "flat" and the incongruence to the setting. As noted, this one isn't for the faint of heart ... so, it will have to be one of passion to pull it off and get it where you want it.

Ok, thanks Kent. That's what I thought and was hoping you would say. I definitely have my work cut out for me and will post my final (I hope) version when I can get to it.

Dave

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:15 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Morning stroll

lighthound wrote:
I don't know Ben. I'm getting a little better at the cloning thing I think. Nobody busted me on my clone work on the fawn image. Take a look at that darn stick right in the middle of the nearly sooc image below then go look at my OP image.

I've been taking good notes around here and have learned a great deal and continue to do so everyday.
If I ever get this color issue under control, my next big adventure is learning better post skills which will probably involve PS & use of layers.

Dave

Good clone job, looking forward to what you can do with the buck.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:20 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Morning stroll

I finally got a chance to take another look at this and try to make some corrections as suggested.

Let me know what you think.
Better? Worse? or OMG! what the hell were you thinking?

Monarch Edit (hopefully final)

Aug 13, 2015 at 07:29 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Morning stroll

Without reviewing the others closely, I really like the crop and processing.
but it is a bit noisy and I would do some more noise reduction
Again, if you are printing, avoid glossy or luster and go matte or canvas. Far more forgiving. Canvas might move it a bit painterly, but that is nice too.

Scott

Aug 13, 2015 at 07:37 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Morning stroll

Having worked this myself, I have to say very good clone job. I agree a bit more NR and you have a winner.

Aug 13, 2015 at 09:56 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Morning stroll

Thank you Scott and Ben. I still don't know what's going on with my JPEG files out of LR6 so I had to edit the above JPEG to get it to this point.

When I view my TIFF file inside LR6 it looks much better than the above JPEG and doesn't have hardly any noise. My exported JPEGS don't look the same at all. Per Kent's suggestion I checked and verified that it wasn't using soft proofing and I even updated LR6 hoping it would improve. No luck.

I'm going to try a few different paper types just to see and learn what the tiff file would look like and if it has the same glitch as the exported JPEG's have.

So here's my edited JPEG to get it as close to my TIFF file as I can get it.

Thanks again folks!

Dave

Edited JPEG

Aug 14, 2015 at 05:45 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Morning stroll

Much cleaner. Don't forget how high the ISO was.

Aug 14, 2015 at 06:37 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.