New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · NX-D and processor speed / number of cores

soupcxan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NX-D and processor speed / number of cores

Just for kicks I ran 60 D750 NEFs with moderate edits through NX-D's export to JPG on high quality and timed the output on three systems.

Laptop i5-3380M: 863 seconds (dual core, 2.9Ghz)
Laptop i7-3612QM: 600 seconds (quad core, 2.1Ghz)
Desktop i7-3770K: 465 seconds (quad core, 3.5Ghz)

To me, the surprising thing was that the 3770K didn't improve more on the 3612QM's time. All the systems had similar SSDs but maybe the hard drive was becoming the bottleneck on the 3770K?

Aug 08, 2015 at 09:36 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NX-D and processor speed / number of cores

Hard drive is usually the bottleneck with batch processing. For weddings where I will have 2500 image files or more to process I use a workstation that has 3 or more drive bays so the data is coming off one 10K drive and going back to another 10K drive and the operating system and application is on the primary boot drive.

With my Mac it was even better as I could have 6 drives and I had two that were mirrored for the source data, one dedicated as the scratch drive, and a primary OS drive and another drive for the output. The sixth drive was a perfect duplicate of the boot drive and I could switch to it at boot time if I had a problem with the primary boot drive.

Be sure to defrag as the batch processing generates lots of temporary files and this causes fragmentation at an unbelievable pace. Do a defrag and then run a large batch and then check the fragmentation that has occurred.

Aug 09, 2015 at 07:39 PM
mutti_wilson

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NX-D and processor speed / number of cores

Stay away from defrag if you are using SSD's. I think the 25% increase is about on par with the 2 CPU's. If you were talking about a 5960x or a high end Xeon part I would suspect something else, but I can't imagine the SSD is a bottle neck for this. If you were using spinning drives I might suspect them being a culprit.

Aug 10, 2015 at 05:52 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.