New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · LR 5

irlfan82
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR 5

I just started to learn LR5 and i heard from someone not to crop a photo with LR because an 8x10 is really not cropped to that size is that true ?

Aug 08, 2015 at 05:47 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR 5

I dont understand what you mean . can you elaborate ?

Aug 09, 2015 at 03:28 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR 5

Whatch you talkin' about, Willis? 8x10 dimensions will differ to what you are shooting on 3:2 DSLR. But you can crop anyway you like. I tend to prep for print in PSHOP - crop and resize. But for the 'net LR is fine.

Aug 09, 2015 at 03:54 AM
irlfan82
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR 5

i guess what im getting at is if i take photo from d7000, put it in LR, do my editing and crop it to lets say an 8x10, when i go to print it will it actually print right at 8x10

Aug 09, 2015 at 12:01 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR 5

Cropping sets the format ratio (relationship between height & width) in LR. 8x10 is the same as 4x5 from a ration stand point. Once you have cropped you can then tell LR in the Print module what size you want. EX) you can crop to a 4x5 but in the Print module tell it to do 8x10 and you will get exactly what you cropped, filling an 8x10 space.

Aug 09, 2015 at 12:34 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR 5

irifan,

You've stumbled onto one of the truly infuriating and mystifying disjuncts between capturing an image and printing it. As others have noted, the "standard" crops in both Lr and Ps are ratios not measurements, thus a 4x5 crop could be printed as 2"x2.5" or 20"x 25". The ratio doesn't determine the size. You determine that in the print module of Lr.

Now for the crazy part. Somewhere in the dim recesses of photographic history someone decided that the "proper" size of a photo was 8X10. Go into any Michaels, Walmart, Target, any mass seller of pre-made frames and mats and you'll notice a couple of zillion options for the 8X10 and far fewer for other formats. Maybe it was the school picture guys? Any dinosaur older than me have any knowledge of what those guys were shooting? I believe I remember that one common "medium format" was 4x5 or 4x6 (as in size of the film frame).

Along comes the SLR and "35mm" film. The actual size of the image window was about 24mm x 35mm thus from that we now have "full frame cameras" that incorporate that default ratio. Just how/why that became so was probably partly driven by marketing droids and partly by the fact that the SLR was the camera DSLRs were trying to replace.

So if you are shooting with a "full frame camera" (I don't think the d7000 is, maybe 1.5x1?), your raw file will have a 2x3 format. If we want to keep all the pix and put it into 8"x10", it just doesn't work. Something has to be cut off. It is maddening as my clients mostly want 8x10 (they've been trained to think this by the market) and I have to figure out how to get as much in as possible. I will admit that for portraits and say family groupings the 8x10 tends to work. For most other things? Not so much.

About all I can suggest is to get a box of relatively cheap photo paper (Costco, Walmart, etc.) and start experimenting. While there is a "zoom to fill" option in the Lr print module this often produces distorted images so isn't that useful.

So good luck, have fun, and try not to toss your printer out the window when you don't get what you expect

Robert

Aug 10, 2015 at 09:48 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.