FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Bumblebees in Basil

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bumblebees in Basil

This year the heat and humidity have been brutal, and with the exception of a Cuckoo Bee who slept in my lavender for a few days, there's no such thing as a dormant insect. I have found some critters resting in the shade during the hottest parts of the day, but they get up under flower petals and leaves where it's difficult to get a good angle on them. Add to that the simple fact that I'm getting bored with shooting static subjects so I was forced to look for a way to take images of hyperactive ones. Since they have a tendency to keep still when they are occupied I decided to start injecting some 2:1 sugar syrup into the flowers that they feed on so they'd have a reason to let me get close.

On the hardware side: If you want to keep the background from being black then you pretty much need the sun behind you, and you need to shoot no higher than 2x. As the magnification goes up the amount of available surface area in the background drops, so you'll quickly reach a point where you'll have to set the shutter too slow, ISO too high, and or the Fstop too low. I've found a pretty good balance with my camera set to 1/60, ISO 200, and F11. Then all I have to do is adjust the FEC, usually setting it at about -1. The key is to dial in your camera settings, cast a shadow over and focus on a flower you've baited, and take a shot with the flash off. If you've got some color and detail in the background, and as long as it's not over exposed and the flower is nearly black, then you should be good to go. As long as the flower is horribly under exposed with the flash turned off, then the flash will be the only significant light source on the subject when its turned on. So it's the flash, and not the shutter, that's going to freeze the motion in the scene (just like shooting macro with the flash as the only light source). Set your flash to second curtain sync just in case you do get some motion from the natural light (it will freeze the area in motion right before the shutter closes, giving you detail in that area even though there was movement).

Get happy with the delete key on the keyboard -this is not studio shooting...

Bumblebee in Basil III by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Bumblebee in Basil IV by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Bumblebee in Basil V by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Aug 08, 2015 at 02:24 AM
Callahan

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bumblebees in Basil

Great photos. Great explanation.
When you write your book on macrophotography, I'll buy it.

Aug 08, 2015 at 10:51 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bumblebees in Basil

Thanks Callahan

Aug 09, 2015 at 09:00 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bumblebees in Basil

Nice photos.

Aug 09, 2015 at 11:06 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bumblebees in Basil

Thanks Jonathan

Aug 10, 2015 at 01:39 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.